General Chit Chat
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6401 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:09 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:45 pm
I am curious how much UK house insurance now is, relative to the insured replacement cost of a home. Anyone care to share some data?
Just renewed my house insurance with Direct Line. It's their Home Insurance Plus policy, not the cheaper standard one. Buildings cover including rebuild cost is unlimited. Contents cover is a standard £100,000 with no need to list items. Accidental damage to buildings and contents included. There are a couple of Mrs C16's rings included as named items. Family Legal Protection of £100,000 is included. Last year the premium was £231.84, this year it went up to £303.52. I had other things on my mind with Mrs C16's illness so my usual haggling with Direct Line was put aside. I do agree with llondel regarding Direct Line refusing to discount the renewal quote if they did it the previous year.

Regarding premiums, bear in mind this is a rural Scotland location not an inner city and has an extremely low crime rate. So low in fact that over a decade ago when I set up a Farmwatch scheme with 42 houses and farms in our parish it died a death within a year as individuals and the Police lost interest as no crime occurred!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6402 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:25 pm

Thanks.
Mine is similar, zero crime rural. I have a 100+ yo wood-framed house and heat with firewood, plus a 60'x30' wooden barn. My replacement cost is calculated, reasonably accurately. I am with a mutual company. My cost was £403. This includes rebate checks and discounts that come with being with a mutual - there were significantly less fires in the last two years. I am also certain that the company is one that does pay up without legal wrangling, and has excellent service. The premium is up significantly, and correctly, to account for the huge recent increase in reconstruction costs. Compared with your costs, I'm happy I'm getting a good deal.

ribrash

#6403 Post by ribrash » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:05 am

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6404 Post by Hydromet » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:18 am

ribrash wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:05 am
What a Waynr Kerr.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... turbation/
That PhD must have been a real handful.

ribrash

#6405 Post by ribrash » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:23 am

Hydromet wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:18 am
ribrash wrote:
What a Waynr Kerr.....

Must buy some shares in Kleenex. =))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6406 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:23 am

ribrash wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:23 am
Hydromet wrote:
ribrash wrote:
What a Waynr Kerr.....

Did his thesis citation reference Philip Roth?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6407 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:23 am
ribrash wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:23 am
Hydromet wrote:

Did his thesis citation reference Philip Roth?
A fine writer but I have not read all of his oeuvre so your allusion went "woosh" over my head. Can you explain to this man? ;)))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6408 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:01 am

Portnoys.......

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6409 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:42 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:01 am
Portnoys.......
Ah, I have no complaint then.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6410 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:29 pm

Wonder if his eye sight is failing. Mine is, and I've always been told I'm a wanker. (Usually preceded by "useless").

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6411 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:36 pm

I am sure many of you will have been here before:

In the utility room, sealant between tiles and worktop cleaned off ready to be re sealed.

"Do we have any bathroom tiles left over?"

No, why?

"Well the tiles are pretty dull, so before you 're seal....."

Reasonable request and I could add an extra socket. Measure up, only a third of a meter. Cheap enough to get our tiler in.

"Oh I'd really like the worktop replacing."

Need to get a plumber and a joiner in.

"Why, you could do it."

Need plumber to remove and refit the sink.

"The plumber could do it."

Work stopped

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6412 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:54 pm

Today is supposed to be the start of "Move In" for D#2 at university.
She was notified yesterday that the dorms (required residence for freshmen) were over populated and no accommodation was available to her at this time. The email stated that since she was local, she should stay at home and attend as a commuter. Not a viable option; no car and probably 2+ hours each way on public transportation.
I called and got through to a housing rep and was told that she would be notified, hopefully today, as to temporary accommodation in a hotel on or adjacent to the campus.
Not a great start to her journey through higher education.

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6413 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:19 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:54 pm
Today is supposed to be the start of "Move In" for D#2 at university.
She was notified yesterday that the dorms (required residence for freshmen) were over populated and no accommodation was available to her at this time. The email stated that since she was local, she should stay at home and attend as a commuter. Not a viable option; no car and probably 2+ hours each way on public transportation.
I called and got through to a housing rep and was told that she would be notified, hopefully today, as to temporary accommodation in a hotel on or adjacent to the campus.
Not a great start to her journey through higher education.

PP

Bad form by the residence organisers. Has she paid up front for this accommodation? Surely there is an implied contract which has been reneged upon here?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6414 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:38 pm

Just a housing deposit.
I was informed by a former co-worker who I ran into a few weeks ago, whose younger son is also starting there, that the hotel possibility was on the table, so not a total surprise. It just wasn't mentioned when we met with an advisor and toured the representative dorm.
The housing rep indicated that this was a normal state of affairs, somewhat similar to airline practice of overselling flights, with the historical no-show rate factored in.

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6415 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:49 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:38 pm
Just a housing deposit.
I was informed by a former co-worker who I ran into a few weeks ago, whose younger son is also starting there, that the hotel possibility was on the table, so not a total surprise. It just wasn't mentioned when we met with an advisor and toured the representative dorm.
The housing rep indicated that this was a normal state of affairs, somewhat similar to airline practice of overselling flights, with the historical no-show rate factored in.

PP

I hope she is admitted in her first year as the fun factor in residence living is squandered as the serious reality of college/university life impinges on one's mind in second year. I met all the drug addled hippies I still know in my first year, one of whom is now lecturing in Durham, with his charming, much younger, very attractive (and tenured) American better half who hails from, serendipitously, Phoenix Arizona. =))

That education and life is a serious business only impinged upon my addled transom later, but better late than never I guess! ;)))

PS - Perhaps your daughter is better off, off campus as it were! ;)))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6416 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:01 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:49 pm

She actually wanted to be as far away from home as possible, and actually was accepted to a far away out of state major university.
Unfortunately, the out of state fees would have depleted her school funds in one semester.
The commuter option is a non-starter. Even if she had a car the parking fees are exorbitant.

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6417 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:13 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:01 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:49 pm

She actually wanted to be as far away from home as possible,
Who between 16 and 25 years old doesn't want to get as far away from home as possible?

My father was deeply appreciative of this impulse on my part, and recommended putting as much distance as possible between me and him, and it is only now that, as I slip into my own dotage, that I realise the old man was right in so many things, in a Boy Named Sue, kind of way (may God bless the old curmudgeon). :)

I guess this was a kind of anti-rant!

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6418 Post by Karearea » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 pm

The other day I noticed I needed to buy more Worcestershire sauce, unlike me to run out, but whatever.
Bought a new bottle, go to put it away, what do I discover but a new full bottle exactly where it should be but invisible the other day. :-o

How do these things do this?
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#6419 Post by jimtherev » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:29 pm

Karearea wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 pm
The other day I noticed I needed to buy more Worcestershire sauce, unlike me to run out, but whatever.
Bought a new bottle, go to put it away, what do I discover but a new full bottle exactly where it should be but invisible the other day. :-o

How do these things do this?
Don't know, but it's bound to be some kind of parallel universe thing happening here.
Went to the top cupboard yesterday for the bag of sugar I placed there 10 days ago, and it wasn't there. I don't consume sugar at that rate, Mrs Jim doesn't use the stuff at all, and we aren't on "can-I-borrow-a..." terms with either neighbour.
Where can it have gone?

Er... you don't happen to have an unidentified 2 kg of sugar hidden behind your Worcester Sauce, have you?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6420 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:34 pm

Mrs C16 got a letter saying that as she has reached a certain age she should have a one off pneumococcal vaccine and that she should attend at a School some 11 miles away. She has a car so no problem but there's no bus service anywhere near us so what about those without cars - a 22 mile taxi journey? Why not at our local village GP surgery just down the road where there's a nurse? Crazy!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org