What a relief. :YMPARTY:
I feel so much better now for having said that. :-bd

PP :ymdevil:

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#5362 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:49 pm

I've just said that. Didn't make me feel any different, but Madame OFSO sniggered and Growltiger the cat jumped off the settee without so much as a backward glance.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5363 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:24 am

More and more facilities demand signing in with a password.
The latest for me is Classic FM online radio music site.

Either one settles for a universal password or has the complexity of trying to remember dozens of passwords.

Why does one need a secure, password-protected link to listen to music?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5364 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:26 am

I like 'no idea' or 'incorrect password'

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5365 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:36 pm

I finally gave up and resorted to a password manager. I use KeePass XC, lets you store all your passwords in an encrypted database with a master key so you only need remember one.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5366 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:48 pm

Yes, but are you confident that your FBI, CIA, and similar organisations World Wide, are not into the "secure" password sites ? Let alone hackers. I'm not.

I have a 30 page A.4 file of all my passwords, secret prompts, name of Grandmothers second dog, licence numbers etc. etc. also copied on to a couple of encrypted USB sticks for use away from home, an when I edit any of them I disconnect my computer from the Internet and cover up the camera ! Paranoid? Moi ?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5367 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Apple. I’m quick to blame Bill Gates for all my problems with the digital age, but Jobs (RIP) really takes the Podium for a Gold Medal today. Mrs. ExS. has one of those large all-in-one desktop iMacs, the sort that is all screen and no apparent auxiliary control unit, both the keyboard and mouse are free standing, operating by remote radio signal ( Bluetooth ? ) and powered by internal re-chargeable batteries, unlike my Windows laptop mouse into which I have to occasionally throw a new AA. But … the cable which one plugs into the mouse for re-charging …………. fits into the smooth base of the mouse, so that it has to lie upside down and is totally unuseable for the couple of hours required ! Jobs, or his successor, probably won a Nobel prize for that design. Unless ….. any of you have a similar model and know how to ……….. ? Maybe Giggle has an answer.

Should Life be so frustrating ?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5368 Post by llondel » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:48 pm
Yes, but are you confident that your FBI, CIA, and similar organisations World Wide, are not into the "secure" password sites ? Let alone hackers. I'm not.

I have a 30 page A.4 file of all my passwords, secret prompts, name of Grandmothers second dog, licence numbers etc. etc. also copied on to a couple of encrypted USB sticks for use away from home, an when I edit any of them I disconnect my computer from the Internet and cover up the camera ! Paranoid? Moi ?
Keepass is a purely local thing, doesn't store data on-line. So you can copy the database to a USB stick to carry around along with the install package. I think for Windows they even do a flavour that runs as the local user and doesn't need to be properly installed. I was sceptical about such things but have come round to it, although I still wouldn't trust an on-line solution.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5369 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:19 am

llondel, thanx. Different World from the one I grew up in, my parents didn't even have a telephone in the house until after I had left home, at age 21 !

Makes on wonder how we ever coped ?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5370 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 am

We did cope but with a lot of frustration. I still remember trying to contact a friend for a piece of information or something else and exchanging messages as to find a time to seat down and discuss the issue.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5371 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 am

ExSp, the husband of a friend of my daughter's died suddenly after a row. His laptop and phone were both password protected.
She eventually got in to the laptop. A nephew of ours who is a forensic computer analysis got in the the phone.
If it's password protected, no matter how secure your password file, it is no defence from an agency probe.
Password protection is probably adequate for most people as there will be far more low hanging fruit for the average tealeaf.

I recounted in the Scammer thread that Kevin's Hotmail had been compromised. Only inconvenient really as the scammer just used it try a direct scam. Where the scammer got my email address from could be anywhere.

I have had a couple of friend of a friend attempts that pointed towards a club directory. I have also had one other 'lend me the money and I will repay this evening'.

That one was from our copilot from 56 years ago but I had been in touch over a potential visit to a facility about 2 years ago.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5372 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:23 am

PN

Yes, I get "requests" from a name that I shared digs with in 1958 ! We were never close friends but our names appear on the same group of retired personnel. Ye canna be tooo carrrreful

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5373 Post by om15 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:59 am

My passwords are various permutations of my service number and the names of deceased cats. I generally forget them, don't have them written down anywhere or have them stored on the laptop.
I changed email address and threw away my mobile when I retired, prior to that I used to be bombarded with rubbish, I suspect that much of it emanated from hotels in foreign parts that flogged on details of customers.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5374 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:10 am

om, they certainly go in patterns. Last year, assuming my mobile number was 077 76 543 123 I was getting spam calls from 077 76 543 nnn. As the call numbers mounted I was counting down from 997 to see how many. I think I got down to 990 yet to be used.

A dental nurse had noticed the same number calls.

I contacted O2 and the best the pillock could come up with was an offer to change my number. These call centre script readers are not hired for their intelligence or even clear diction. Why do we try?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5375 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:50 pm

EE sent a text back in June offering to change both our sim only fees from £9.62 per month, all calls and texts and 2GB data to £10 a month, all calls and texts and 20GB data per month per sim on a 12 month contract. It seems that as these are "special" terms for existing customers they are incapable of showing these new terms on a customer's MyEE account page. The excuse is that they have thousands of deals with millions of customers and it just isn't possible to update everyone's account page to reflect these individual deals. Unbelievable! At least the first monthly bill came in with the correct new amounts.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5376 Post by llondel » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:12 pm

The assumption behind the similar number thing goes back to when your neighbours all had such numbers because you were all on the same exchange. They think you're more likely to assume it's a neighbour and answer it, whereas I work on the principle that I don't know anyone with a number similar to mine so I definitely won't answer it My landline is set up to ignore those numbers.

Of course, it fails miserably with mobile numbers, and with modern electronic exchanges and number portability it's no longer particularly true for landlines either.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5377 Post by tango15 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:12 pm
The assumption behind the similar number thing goes back to when your neighbours all had such numbers because you were all on the same exchange. They think you're more likely to assume it's a neighbour and answer it, whereas I work on the principle that I don't know anyone with a number similar to mine so I definitely won't answer it My landline is set up to ignore those numbers.

Of course, it fails miserably with mobile numbers, and with modern electronic exchanges and number portability it's no longer particularly true for landlines either.
Likewise, llondel. What I am furious about though, is that my home number, which I hardly use, is known to very few people, whom I trust implicitly. The only time I gave out my home number was to a well-known double glazing company, who insisted on having a home number. It became apparent later why they did this. Since then I have had scam phone calls from the four corners of the earth and now have a filter on the phone. I assume their salesman sell off the numbers to top up their commission if they have a bad month :o)

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5378 Post by llondel » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:49 pm

Some of it is just random dialling, or working through a block of numbers by a robocaller.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5379 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:29 am

Don't you just love Private Number or Number Withheld. Our hospital and surgery use these.
I have to punch myself not to answer F*** O** and answer just "Yes?" .

Having said who they are comes the inevitable "for data protection purposes ....."
" No, you called me."

How many of you however voluntarily release a piece of personal information not usually in the public domain? Your birth registration is a matter of record but not the date. The date is private and personal between you, family, friends, medics, and whoever read the announcement by your joyous parents in The Times.

You then publish it on farcebook, give it to your bank, and any random website that asks for it.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5380 Post by Woody » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:37 am

Had to take MrsWoody to have one of those 48 hour heart monitors fitted yesterday, dropped her off and went to find a car parking spot, got one quickly, first 20 minutes free, minimum payment £3.50 thereafter :-o, paid turned around and saw MrsWoody heading back, total time in car park 14 minutes :((
When all else fails, read the instructions.