Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6141 Post by llondel » Sat May 28, 2022 8:57 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:40 pm
Go to a thrift store.
That's where all of mine come from.
I only by one brand (Savane) as they have a slot pocket on the outside of the right cargo pocket which is perfect for a smartphone.

PP

Edited to add that there is a little elastic in the waist but nice wide beltloops.
You need a bit of elastic, helps hold them up while you're dealing with the belt.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6142 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat May 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Thanks, I've tried the only Thrift / Charity shops within reasonable reach without success. Last time, "Old Navy" in the USA, I should have followed my now own advice i.e. when you find something you like, buy 6 of them, 'cos when you want to replace it "they" will have designed something else, or discontinued it.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6143 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun May 29, 2022 2:38 am

As it is Memorial Day (Weekend) here, Turner Classic Movies is showing war movies all weekend.
Fighter Squadron is on now.
All of the Bf-109s seem to have FW-190 canopies. ~X(

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6144 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 29, 2022 6:13 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:58 pm
Thanks, I've tried the only Thrift / Charity shops within reasonable reach without success. Last time, "Old Navy" in the USA, I should have followed my now own advice i.e. when you find something you like, buy 6 of them, 'cos when you want to replace it "they" will have designed something else, or discontinued it.
My first memorable buy in the States was a pair of nail clippers 19c, life time guarantee. I bought two.
Next was 3 pairs of Levis. After 15 years I found they had shrunk so sold them on ebay 😂

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6145 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon May 30, 2022 6:26 pm

Yes, funny how they shrink whilst lying in drawers unused !

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6146 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon May 30, 2022 6:40 pm

I HATE anything to do with Microsoft, Google, or Apple. Every time they interfere with something I am involved with, and this seems to be an increasing event, I get a message that "someone" has tried to access my account, is this alright ? Subsequent attempts to satisfy them seems to involve yet again changing my username and / or password so that I subsequently have no idea which ones to use at their next intrusion in my life.

WTF can't they leave us alone ? Digital Life is bad enough without all this.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6147 Post by G-CPTN » Mon May 30, 2022 6:43 pm

And who decided that passwords were non-re-useable?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6148 Post by OFSO » Mon May 30, 2022 7:52 pm

When sent out to shop, I can't tell which are dishwasher capsules and which are washing machine capsules. I'd swear the last load of dishwasher capsules caused the cups and saucers to shrink. Mind you, the last lot of washing machine capsules certainly got the baked-on grease out of my underwear...

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#6149 Post by jimtherev » Mon May 30, 2022 10:49 pm

Strewth, OFSO! What have you been cooking up?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6150 Post by Woody » Tue May 31, 2022 7:44 am

the last lot of washing machine capsules certainly got the baked-on grease out of my underwear...
That’s an image that’s going to take a while forget :ymsick:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6151 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue May 31, 2022 9:44 am

Changing subway trains: I missed one for a couple of minutes and the next one couples one were after 12 and 17 minutes. Why 12 minutes and then just 5 minutes and not a smoother one 8 and 17?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6152 Post by llondel » Tue May 31, 2022 4:05 pm

Sometimes if the trains are sharing lines on part of the route, there was one at 5-6 minutes through the common section that went somewhere else.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6153 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue May 31, 2022 7:18 pm

I got off the airport to port line mainly south-eat to west (one of the newer lines) and moved to catch the train on the old line North - South line. Completely different tracks they just didn't bother to cover the delay that just got bigger and bigger.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6154 Post by OFSO » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:42 am

For many years we had a website on Mr Site which was both easy to manage and cheap to run. Then the company was bought by TSO Host, which immediately raised the prices. Many people stopped using Mr Site. After a couple of years it was bringing in little money to TSO Host so with little warning they closed it down. Needless to say they are still billing Mr Site customers for the domains they no longer use. TSOs website is impenetrable, you can't easily cancel "automatic renewal" and all I can see to do is remove the bank card from their renewal page. What a bunch of unprincipled bounders.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6155 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:10 am

Brother in Law, o'dark hundred departure from Cornwall, 0200 check in at Gatwick, through security, airside, flight cancelled.

Now enroute home.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6156 Post by OFSO » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:03 pm

My family, ten in all, is on the way back from Dubai on EK31 due in just before 1600 if FR is to be believed.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6157 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:23 am

Just entering the quagmire of incompetence that is the South Department of Home Affairs in my quest to renew my South African passport!
The Democratic Alliance has called on Minister of Home Affairs, Aaron Motsoaledi, to address the ongoing nightmare of accessing Home Affairs services at South African missions abroad.
In a parliamentary budget vote debate on Tuesday, DA Shadow Deputy Minister of Home Affairs, Adrian Roos, labelled the 18 to 24 month turnaround time to process ID and passport applications from SA missions abroad a disgrace.

This is further compounded by waiting times whereby it now takes months to simply apply for documents.

Roos recalled a plea from a South Africa citizen in Ireland who waited for 10 months for her son’s passport application only to be told the passport cannot be processed because there was no ID; and challenged the Minister on how the passport application can even be accepted without an ID, setting the applicant back months.

SAPeople has been contacted by countless South Africans living abroad who are suffering from similar set-backs, and who endure lengthy wait times with zero communication despite sending emails and phoning daily. Getting a response can feel like a miracle, rather than a constitutional right. Several South Africans, who would have seriously considered annual holidays to SA (spending their well-earned dollars or pounds), retiring in SA or purchasing investment properties, have given up and relinquished their SA citizenship.

“It’s frustrating because we South Africans are entitled to a passport, but even trying to access instructions on how to apply for a new passport at the LA consulate is a nightmare,” says one Californian resident.

A South African in London said: “I applied for my ‘passport renewal’ documents in Oct 2021 via the SA High Commissioner in London through the postal service, as per their suggestions on the website. I have repeatedly tried to make contact with the High Commissioner’s office in London to no avail… I have also checked the various websites and/or avenues to find out who I can contact for help regarding feedback and the status of my application. My situation is now getting desperate and I need to get back to SA but my passport has since expired…”

Others are illegally flying to South Africa on a foreign passport, and then renewing their SA passport whilst in SA. For most of the lucky ones, within two weeks – sometimes even a few days – they have their precious new SA passport in their hands. This ‘loophole’ is illegal though because a South African citizen has to, by law, enter and leave SA on a South African passport. It is possible to fly into SA on a South African passport up to 24 hours before it expires.

A DA petition on Home Affairs services at SA Missions abroad has been in the petitions process in parliament for well over a year. The DA says it will call for a debate on this issue in the National Assembly to step up the pressure on the Minister to act.
https://www.sapeople.com/2022/05/25/da- ... ns-abroad/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6158 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:30 am

Non rant: EK31 arrived on time, border control efficient, families waiting for taxis outside Heathrow in a few minutes...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6159 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:06 am

Grandkids departed Eindhoven 15 minutes late, arrived Stanstead one minute late which seems SOP, and at the train station in 25 min.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6160 Post by llondel » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:54 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:06 am
Grandkids departed Eindhoven 15 minutes late, arrived Stanstead one minute late which seems SOP, and at the train station in 25 min.
I remember taking off 15 minutes late from Cambridge for a flight to Schipol. We arrived pretty much on time due to the 100mph tailwind that day. I assume that the departure delay was deliberate in order to arrive in the assigned slot at the far end. What was memorable that day is the way the weather system moved so we had a massive tailwind on the way home too. to me that seems to violate several natural laws.