Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#61 Post by Hydromet » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 am

If you don't like the weather in Melbourne, Oz, wait for an hour and it'll change. But whatever it is at this time of year, it won't be warm.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by ian16th » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:11 am

Slasher wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 am
ian16th wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pm
I've just realised that the daft system has routed to a Melbourne in Florida USA!
Melbourne Fl is too wet and muggy at this time of year Ian, while Melbourne Oz is far too wet and cold...period. Might be better to go some place nice and where the wx is better. But if it has to be Oz I'd recommend Brisbane out of that lot. Cold in the early am but day's are sunny and pleasant enough. Bit like Maun at present.
Son & his family live in Melbourne, hence the interest.

I'm odd, I rather enjoy Florida! I used to visit for work, at all times of the year. But their Spring suits me best. I once had 6 weeks there April/May.
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by Woody » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:19 am

Written about MEL, by Neill Finn

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Slasher

#64 Post by Slasher » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:11 pm

I do remember one day in Feb sometime in the early 80s: humid dawn reaching 44C at about 2pm, cold front passage with +TSRA, thereafter 15C. 8am next morning +6C. Top that day 17C. In the supposed hottest month!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Had all four seasons in my first 24 hours in the Falklands, remember breezy and springlike on landing from the Timmy, going for a run that evening in shorts and t-shirt when the wind dropped* and it was warm. There was snow on the ground in the morning, which moderated into the standard wet, cold and miserable by lunchtime.

*No, it really happened ;)))

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Magnus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:46 pm

In Orlando to present a paper at a conference. Fekn hot, so I packed appropriately. 'Phone call one evening; "Magnus, the IR camera in Hawaii`i is banjaxed, can you come and fix it, please?" Shorts and t-shirts at 4.2km above sea level at night are not appropriate attire.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by ian16th » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:52 pm

When I was at Akrotiri, assigned to the Electronics Centre, I was 'loaned' to 73 Sqdn, for a detachment to Mauripur for a CENTO exercise, in Dec 1963.

Having been in the Electronics Centre, I was quite a 'mooney' and clean.
I went out to the dispersal, passport in hand, to see the Flt Sgt running things, and he says, 'We are going to Karachi in Pakistan'. As he looks at me while opening my passport.
He looks down at the open page, and seeing the 5 each Pak entry & exit stamps, say's, 'Oh, I see that you have been there before!'.
'Yes Flight, I was on 214 Sqdn before Akrotiri, I assume we will be wearing KD in Karachi.'
'No he says, we will be in blue.'

When we get there the Pak Air Force are wearing KD & we sweated cobs. And yes a Canberra is one of the worst a/c to work on in a hot climate.

It turned out I was the only guy on the trip that had been there before. I was the unofficial guide.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:51 am

Sigh! While perusing these hallowed pages the other day I made reference to my copy of "747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation) by: Joe Sutter" and waded through my box of aviation books only to find it had been lost, borrowed and not returned, left somewhere or even sold or given away by my better half, who doesn't necessarily always get that these books are mine and can be collectible apart from anything else. No matter thought I, I will buy another copy and ordered a copy from a US book shop via Amazon. So it was with great delight that I received a parcel yesterday, labelled 747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation) by: Joe Sutter, so I scrambled to open it, only to find this abomination, obviously stolen from or donated by some school in Chicago Illinois.
Wrong book.JPG
Wrong book.JPG (43.57 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
ISBN.JPG
ISBN.JPG (58.46 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
The sharp eyed here will note that the Francis Parker School's library title starts 747. Some idiot has packed the wrong book.

I am now in contact with the seller and it is all so fecking tedious.

Caco

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 am

Aren’t computers wonderful =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:34 am

Woody wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 am
Aren’t computers wonderful =))
Yep!

They allow mankind to make mistakes quicker than any other device.

Slasher

#71 Post by Slasher » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:51 am
Wrong book.JPG

ISBN.JPG
Have a read of it anyway Caco. Maybe ol' Margaret did some very serious bonking of barons in her day while she was among 'em! ;)))

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by Magnus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:01 pm

Slasher, on the subject of Baron-bonking, take a look at the life of Lola Montez (sometimes Montes).

That's a good opportunity to repost Volbeat's song about her. Incidentally, nice boobs around 2:40.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by Magnus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:32 pm

MtMM, aka the piebald pest! I pop through to check this site, and within seconds he's taken up residence in MY chair. Try to move him, and I just get a hurt look. Sigh.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#74 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:50 am

I just love it when a government official doesn't fully understand English. It is the official language here. Government, courts, official letters, etc all English.

The computer saga continues. It will be two years old in November.
Dear Mr Mokolare,

Thank you for the copy of your letter to me. I will pick up a signed copy on Monday at around 12.00. I do find it amazing that you are saying in writing that your department has failed. Quote: ‘mediation has failed’.

As you know ‘mediation’ is intervention in a dispute. You are effectively saying that you have failed to intervene. Under chapter 42:07 of the Consumer Protection Act this is the main role of your department.

On the 18th April 2018 Ultimate Solutions were told that the computer should be replaced and given 3 days to respond. Their response was that the hearing should be in Gaborone. Your office quite rightly said that the decision in Maun stands. Your office then backed down to the company and agreed for another hearing. Personally I saw this as pointless but as a government advisor, whom I had asked for assistance, I took your advice and we had another hearing on 9th August 2018. We went through all the same points as the first hearing and the conclusion was of course the same. You only mention in your letter the unserviceable USB ports, there is also the serious issue of electric shock and the computer crashing when the mobile phone is connected and a call is received. As the HP technician from Gaborone stated, on the 7th repair, it has an electrical fault. We spent a considerable time talking about our housekeeper’s cord which is not even used on the computer, indeed doesn’t even fit my phone.

You invite me to ‘seek further redress with the Court’ Under the aforementioned act Part IV states that:

‘Upon the completion of an investigation, or where the Office has failed to resolve a complaint of unfair business practice through an arrangement as provided for under section 11, the Office may cause civil proceedings to be instituted’

You actually said to the manager of the company at the meeting that if the computer was not replaced it would result in litigation. I also said to her after the meeting that it looked as if this was the way it was going. She said if it was down to her she would replace my computer. Unfortunately it is not. For the record; a delightful and helpful lady.

Please instigate court proceedings under the aforementioned act.

If necessary I will take this to MITI ministerial level especially as you have put in writing that your department has failed in its duty.

If you wish to talk about this, as I say, I will pass by your office at about 12.00 on Monday. I have other meetings in town in the morning so can’t give an exact time.

Kind regards,
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:28 pm

What is it about the French ? At my favourite restaurant in the town square last week, a large party of French came and sat down. Mimi, the local ginger cat, jumped up and sat down on the one unoccupied chair at their table. Mimi neither pesters not begs nor makes herself a nuisance, she just likes to be part of the scene. The French reacted as if a zombie from NOTLD had just joined them, rearing back, leaping away, overturned glasses etc. Seeing this Mrs OFSO walked over, picked up a highly offended Mimi and brought her back to our table where she delivered herself of a few complex and pithy phrases, undoubtedly describing the French. I admit I am a cat lover (to put it mildly) and especially a lover of ginger cats, but the gallic reaction to Mimi was absurd.

The locals of course all respect cats as workers: every barn and yard door has a cut-out to enable felines in to keep the mouse and rat population under control.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:40 pm

It's Mimi's problem obviously. Cats tend to socialize with people who hate cats. Frankly I am surprised Mimi allowed your wife to move her closer to cat lovers

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:06 pm

And here is the delightful Mimi herself in a typical "ain't I just the cutist thing ?" pose on one of the restaurant chairs.....
Mimi.jpg
Mimi.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Very nice feline indeed. And she does know how to pose for a picture!

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#79 Post by k3k3 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Her ear does seem to indicate she's up for a scrap though!

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:20 am

k3k3 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pm
Her ear does seem to indicate she's up for a scrap though!
I suspect it means she has been spayed. Certainly in Greece the vet clips the ear of all cats when they have been spayed or neutered. :)

I think she looks lovely too.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.