Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#7001 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:41 pm
k3k3 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:04 pm

No more than 12 hours... 5 minutes before you start is also no more than 12 hours.

Good point, well made.

However, a lot of our work is in very rural and remote locations - our volunteers have to travel from various points. C&RT have mandated that each survey must cover the whole section between two bridges - three if we are working either side of a bridge - meaning we could have to check a three-mile stretch of canal for work that is covering perhaps 100 yards. Sheer bloody-minded bureaucracy for the sake of it - someone trying to justify their existence.
If you say that a survey was done how are they to disprove the assertion that it was conducted. :-$
Just sayin'. :D
And if they did confirm or disprove the survey's completion it would , at least,confirm their existence if not justify it. :-?

PP

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7002 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:29 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 pm
.......If you say that a survey was done how are they to disprove the assertion that it was conducted. :-$
Just sayin'. :D
PP
:-bd
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7003 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:33 pm

Tractor production has achieved new records, Comrade Secretary!!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7004 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:50 pm

Claim for delayed flight under EU rules submitted. One trusts that if successful it doesn't come out of Comrade Woody's meagre pay packet.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7005 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:59 pm

When you look at EU subsidies, you will discover it comes out of both yours and Woody's pockets!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7006 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:04 pm

In order to keep Spanish electricity utilities afloat, at the end of 2022 it was (not) announced that an additional fee of €470 was added to every consumers bill in December/January. When I got my printout from the bank (you have to go and get it from an ATM, no postal statements here) I saw and thought the €470 was a deduction, but noticed subsequently that it was not a deduction but a payment to me, but then followed by a deduction of €250. Followed by a drop in my monthly charge from €177 to €118 because I'd cut my consumption by 21%. Madness.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7007 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:20 pm

Waited in all day for John Lewis to deliver new washer/dryer. Emptied kitchen island, moved it, old machine ready for collection in middle of room. John Lewis called after lunch, couldn't deliver as we were out. Bullsh*t.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7008 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:41 pm

Incompatible statements:

"you never put anything away"

"where have you put....... it was just here?"

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7009 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:30 pm

Monday, another attempt at delivery. 19:00. They then again claimed we were out. Had gone to wrong address. Went out looking for delivery truck. Saw it down the street at yet another wrong address. Idiots. Delivered machine, couldn't get it in, left it in kitchen. So much for John Lewis delivery and installation. My BIL has now installed it.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7010 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 pm

Imagine delivering and installing to the wrong address . . .

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7011 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:46 am

"Breaking in and decorating". Family come home from vacation to find house redecorated.
We did "Breaking in and tidying up". Visited friends chaotic house to fix their PC. They were out, door unlocked as usual. While I fixed their PC, Mrs OFSO tidied up living room. We left before they came home. Asked them later, they hadn't noticed.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7012 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:36 pm

We're considering replacing our polycarbonate conservatory roof with a "warm" roof so searching around different companies for quotes. Just had a visit from one rep to survey and give us a quote. All he was interested in was signing us up as a marketing facility for their product and rubbishing other company's products - he even rubbished our conservatory saying it wasn't strong enough for anything other than his company's product. Fast talking with the "Sign up now and get 30% off" patter. His company won't be getting our dosh.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7013 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:57 pm

We had a new front door some years ago from a company that wasn't East of England or Tibet, excellent product but then plagued by telephone calls trying to sell us windows. In the end I contacted their CEO and assured him the more they called the less likely we would ever return to them. He got the message.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7014 Post by Hydromet » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:57 pm
We had a new front door some years ago from a company that wasn't East of England or Tibet, excellent product but then plagued by telephone calls trying to sell us windows. In the end I contacted their CEO and assured him the more they called the less likely we would ever return to them. He got the message.
Always best to talk to the organ grinder rather than the monkey.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7015 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:55 pm

Stick monkeys excepted ;)))

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7016 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:33 pm

A million years ago I established a Gmail e-mail address. I didn't want to use Gmail, but our primary e-mail is shared and many orgs. won't allow husband and wife to use the same e-mail to register individual accounts. More recently I had to establish another Gmail address for similar reasons.

When I open my primary Gmail address I can check the second one by merely tapping on my initial in the top right corner, which changes the display to the secondary one .... except ..... that every second or third day this is denied and I am instructed to "Add another acount " which means putting in my secondary e-mail address and the password, which is a PITA as I often can't remember the complicated password that I have established for it, so have to stop and look it up ....and yes, I have "illegally" written it down. ( one of the reasons I have difficulty remembering it is because "they" have demanded that I change my password many times, for various reasons over the years, and I have difficulty now remembering which is the latest version and for which address, e.g. I just increase the numerical value embedded in the password by 1 each time, but can't always remember which number applies to which account ! - wait until you are aged 88 trying to cope with all this nonsense )

Why does this happen ? Having once successfully established a second account, and this has been accepted, why do I have to keep repeating my request to view it every few days ? I HATE Gmail (and Google ) and why should modern life be this difficult ? Grrrr.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7017 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:41 pm

Set up the email through a third party program. I use Thunderbird. I never get asked to re-enter, but I do if I try to do it through the browser.
The reason they do it is because they want your entire life's details to not to have to keep doing it every 3 days, which they then effectively sell to advertisers. That's how they make their money.
Modern life is this difficult because.
1) big corporations have bought off the government so they are rarely affected by government regulators or watchdogs.
2) everyone wants to make their money trading data, because it's much less capital intensive than making physical stuff
3) the classic 'make a complicated password then make people have so many they need to write them down' is just one way of making you responsible for their problems.

In short, everyone wants free money, no laws applicable to them, and no responsibility.
Except professionals in the aviation and similar complicated and risky industries, where all of the above are anathema.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7018 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:43 pm

Fox 3. I understand, I fact I have a 3rd party provider for a lot of my e-mail stuff, eM Client, but I haven't included my Gmail accounts, guess it's a good idea. I currently look up Gmail on my Chrome browser which is the one I have all the trouble with. Bloody Windows ! I don't have this problem with my Apple iPad, but that isn't my primary "Device".

Thanks.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7019 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:57 am

I don't have this Gmail problem on my Android phone. I also have three different Yahoo mail accounts (Friends, Work, Testing) which are easier to use than Gmail. All work better on the phone than on the laptop or PC which consequently I hardly ever use. I dislike Windows which has got worse with every new iteration.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7020 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:51 pm

I dislike Windows which has got worse with every new iteration.

Here, Here, WIN 98 did everything I needed.