Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6341 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:30 pm

OFSO, lucky here. Both prefer dining early and going into modest isolation before a 'vital' holiday.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6342 Post by llondel » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:30 pm

OK, in my line of work I get a steady stream of emails from recruiters trying to entice me elsewhere. Most of them I politely respond to say I'm not looking for a new job, on the basis that there may come a time when I do need their services. However, there are a few who are [censored] clueless and seem to think I'm a really good fit for some job that is nothing like what I've done in the past and which holds no interest for me, and have clearly not bothered to read my CV. Those I usually ignore.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6343 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:58 am

Although not really 'self isolating' my wife and I haven't visited a restaurant since early 2020, and we decline mass gathering invitations - and concerts.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6344 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:19 pm

Item on the BBC Look North News this lunchtime about a lady who waited for over 40 hours in A&E at Lincoln before a bed became available. I'm pretty sure she was one of at least five patients who had been waiting for beds since Saturday morning when I was taken to that dump in the early hours of Sunday morning - she was still waiting when I was discharged late on Sunday afternoon along with other patients who were still waiting for beds.

I recounted the experience to our useless MP and all he could respond with was how well taxpayers money is being wasted spent on various projects. He's frightened of kicking up a stink in Parliament in case it compromises his greasy pole ambitions - utter tosser and a total waste of oxygen.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6345 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:05 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:19 pm
Item on the BBC Look North News this lunchtime about a lady who waited for over 40 hours in A&E at Lincoln before a bed became available. I'm pretty sure she was one of at least five patients who had been waiting for beds since Saturday morning when I was taken to that dump in the early hours of Sunday morning - she was still waiting when I was discharged late on Sunday afternoon along with other patients who were still waiting for beds.

I recounted the experience to our useless MP and all he could respond with was how well taxpayers money is being wasted spent on various projects. He's frightened of kicking up a stink in Parliament in case it compromises his greasy pole ambitions - utter tosser and a total waste of oxygen.
Details please. :-ss
Glad they let you out! :-bd

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6346 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:29 pm

€3.30 for a coffee at the Gare de Nord. Cape must be turning over in his grave......

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6347 Post by reddo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 pm

Rant coming up. I'm mildly asthmatic and usually can deal with it without talking to a doctor. However, this time round, it's not responding well. I have been coughing now for over a week and it is making sleep nigh impossible. So, admitted defeat and rang the local medical centre at 10am. "no call backs, try 111 or ring back at 2pm". Let's face it, 111 will simply tell me what I already know or send me to A&E. I ring back at 14:03, wait in a queue until 14:22. No more call back slots, unless I can wait until Sunday! So - need to try again tomorrow at 08:45 when I was told "lots of slots will be available". WTAF! Back to self-medicating then!

It's really kill or cure. I'll either recover on my own and thus saving the NHS a fortune or end up in A&E coughing my proverbial up! Last place I want to end up to be honest.

I'm not being foolish. I'm checking my peak flow (350, down from 450), pulse and blood Ox ok. Pulse is 95BPM and Ox is 97%.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6348 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:25 pm

Have you considered consulting a pharmacy? The better ones have clinically-trained staff.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6349 Post by reddo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:02 pm

After fuming for a while, a mate gave me a link to a private clinic. Yes, it'll cost but I've already lost a lot of money by being off work.
It's either asthma being an arse (most probably) or possibly "walking pneumonia".

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6350 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:12 pm

reddo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:02 pm
After fuming for a while, a mate gave me a link to a private clinic. Yes, it'll cost but I've already lost a lot of money by being off work.
It's either asthma being an arse (most probably) or possibly "walking pneumonia".
D#2 had walking pneumonia back in the winter.
She missed lots of school and it took a pediatric pulmonologist to finally get the correct diagnosis. Hopefully your clinic can sort you out one way or the other.

PP

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6351 Post by reddo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:02 am

Me too. I had never heard of walking pneumonia until my NHS doctor got it. He ran the Boston marathon with it!

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6352 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:50 pm

reddo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 pm
...... I have been coughing now for over a week and it is making sleep nigh impossible.....
I'm also mildly asthmatic and have had a dry cough for several weeks. I was convinced it was my asthma but in the end I had a phone discussion with my GP. He took me off my blood pressure Ramipril tablets and changed them to Candesartan two weeks ago. The dry cough, a known side effect of Ramipril, is gradually disappearing.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6353 Post by reddo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:33 pm

Oh ok. Cool. I'm not on blood pressure tablets but it's good to know the side effects. :)
The coughing is annoying though. Sleep came last night because I demolished some wine.

The doctor who first diagnosed the asthma said that there's no point in prescribing cough medicine because they don't work since they took the alochol out. (Irish doc in very remote Kununurra)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6354 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:46 pm

Turpine hydrate with codeine used to work for me (when you could still get it, no prescription but you had to sign for it at the pharmacy). :-bd
Great when mixed with OJ. :YMPARTY:

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6355 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:49 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:46 pm
Turpine hydrate with codeine used to work for me (when you could still get it, no prescription but you had to sign for it at the pharmacy). :-bd
Great when mixed with OJ. :YMPARTY:

PP
While adulterate turpentine with codeine? =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6356 Post by Wodrick » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:30 pm

Many moons ago here or TOP the Ramipril effect was mentioned. I mentioned it to my GP.
No comment but prescription changed instantly - no cough very quickly.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6357 Post by VP959 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:21 pm

I'm another one that was on Ramipril for a couple of years and had a constant dry cough. It was only when I moved house and changed GP that my new GP mentioned that the cough was a well known issue with Ramipril, so she switched me to Candesartan and the cough disappeared.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6358 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:43 pm

VP959 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:21 pm
I'm another one that was on Ramipril for a couple of years and had a constant dry cough. It was only when I moved house and changed GP that my new GP mentioned that the cough was a well known issue with Ramipril, so she switched me to Candesartan and the cough disappeared.
A colleague of mine, who had a cardiac incident (not an attack but tachycardia and dangerously high blood pressure) recently, is now on a course of Ramipril. He swears that this is the cause of every one of his age-related symptoms (including subpar bed related ones).

His blood pressure is now normal (perfect for his age) and yet he is unhappy! =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6359 Post by reddo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:27 pm

Doctor seen, she said it's a chest infection, have some drugs. :D

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#6360 Post by talmacapt » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Finland is a fairly quiet country and where I live it is normally very quiet.

Tonight the yoofs, from possibly the local town, have decided to race their motorbikes .

The road, very straight limit50/60 kph, is about a kilometre away but the noise is becoming annoying.

Someone will report it to the police and we can go back to peace.

My wife's son (30) got stopped for speeding, on his father's motorbike, 2 days ago and was instantly fined 1500€ and banned (allowed to drive home) from driving for 3 months.

Not anywhere near here, I am pleased to say.