Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#2621 Post by OFSO » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 am

Noting the countries where sex dolls are illegal, I wonder if she's considered manufacturing life-sized camels ?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#2622 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 am

Jeremy Corbyn would buy a Diane Abbott. :ymsick:
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ribrash

#2623 Post by ribrash » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:42 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 am
Jeremy Corbyn would buy a Diane Abbott. :ymsick:
Would be brighter than the original. =)) =))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2624 Post by OFSO » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:30 pm

I'd buy one to put by the front gate, no two, one each side. Frighten the wild boar away.

Capetonian

#2625 Post by Capetonian » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:33 pm

A bit like a gargoyle - frighten away the evil spirits!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2626 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:14 pm

What is it with so many websites demanding that I should accept their use of my data and/or turn off my adblocker?
Whilst I realise that I do not pay to use their site (nor will I), I presume that my browsing will soon be curtailed.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2627 Post by ian16th » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:47 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:14 pm
What is it with so many websites demanding that I should accept their use of my data and/or turn off my adblocker?
Whilst I realise that I do not pay to use their site (nor will I), I presume that my browsing will soon be curtailed.
Try the new Brave browser.

It isn't perfect, but it even lets me read the Mail and News24 without ads, all without an add blocker!
Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2628 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:06 pm

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2629 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:06 pm
Background for you G-CPTN
https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2015 ... d-blockers
Thanks, Fox3.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2630 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Basically, the number of people now using adblockers is rendering some advertising online much less effective, so advertisers are looking for some kind of surety that their ads are actually being viewed. The approach being used is debatable, since the effect may be to stop people reading that media rather than whitelist the site, which has knock-on effects for that business as a whole, not just its ad revenue. Expect things to develop over the next 6-12 months.

Capetonian

#2631 Post by Capetonian » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:52 pm

I am now not using sites that show advertising or which force me to turn off the adblocker.

The one which particularly annoys me is the Daily Telegraph, for which I pay a monthly subscription, but they still nag me to turn of the adblocker. Fuggem.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2632 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:52 pm
I am now not using sites that show advertising or which force me to turn off the adblocker.
+1

And another thing - the Beeb requires one to sign-in - even for audio clips - yet one doesn't need a licence to receive radio, so why deny access to those who don't use television?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2633 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 pm

The industry appears unwilling to accept that is the tracking software and scripts that people have a problem with, more than most of the advertising.
I am unable to offer an opinion on what advertising works, since it has (a) never had an effect on me personally, and (b) I don't think I see more than a few ads every year, since I have had adblock software for ages and billboards are banned on PEI.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2634 Post by llondel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:23 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:14 pm
My attitude to that is that if they are prepared to fully indemnify me against any loss or damage to my system as a result of a dodgy ad script running courtesy of their site then perhaps I'll consider turning off the ad blocker. It is not unknown for an ad server to be hijacked and run such scripts.

If they really want to show ads then they should be serving them from their own server, running the relevant code on their side of the link and just serving me images. I'm sure it should be quite possible to do that, and would then be near-impossible for an ad blocker to spot which images were ads and which were relevant to the page.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#2635 Post by izod tester » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:38 pm

Some years ago Bristol Airport introduced a charge for dropping passengers if they stayed in the drop off area for more than 10 minutes. Later on they introduced a minimum charge of £1 with a larger sum if you stay longer. Recently the minimum charge has gone up to £3 except when they have a problem with their system in which case it might be £490. https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... rt-3556593

Sisemen

#2637 Post by Sisemen » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:47 am

Women ~X( One wife and two female guests. I cook breakfast, serve it up, be the gentleman and let them have first dibbings, and what do they do? Yak, yak, yak. ~X( ~X( . A quick, “Are you going to talk and let it go cold or are you going to do something about breakfast?” got me some steely glances from the guests.

It’s the same with buffet queues. Guaranteed the line will grind to a halt while women ummm and ahhh and yack instead of making a decision and serving themselves.

Bad mood for the rest of the day now :-o

Slasher

#2638 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:54 am

Another wimmin thing that pisses me off is waiting in line at the checkout counter. Woman in front with a truckload of sh!t that’ll take time to be sorted and priced, me behind with 2 small items. Ask if I could be allowed ahead as I have only two things. Told to fukkoff as she’s in a hurry too. After a long bloody wait she’s told the final amount.

Woman acts all surprised that she actually has to pay for all that crap. “Oh! I will just get my purse.” Digs around - hauls out cash and adds it up - puts it back - not enough. Gives ATM debit card. Button-pushing. Card doesn’t work. Digs around further and finds credit card. More button-punching. Approved! Tears it off from reader - signs - leaves. Total time 17 mins.

“Stoopid bitch.”

What did you say??!! :ymtongue:

Nuthin’. :(

Me (holding near enough correct cash): pay - katchink! - change - leave. Total time 12 secs.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2639 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:06 am

In Poole, in Marks and Spencer Food Hall (remember, not all disabilities are visual) we got HIM.

Every item he talked about. He detailed everything he did. He explained the process of removing a security tag from a jumper, he explained why he the slid the jumper over a special plate, then he asked if we wanted the hanger, then he explained why he was folding the jumper, and the queue grew longer.

I was pissing myself and had to go off looking at a drinks display. I was joined by the previous customer at our checkout. He was a weirdo too.

As Mrs PN says, her weirdo magnet must have been on.

Sisemen

#2640 Post by Sisemen » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 am

Slasher - and then you get, after all youv'e described, the woman who then says "Oh, I forgot the xxx" and dashes off to get the said item leaving everyone in the queue with a disarming "sorry" smile as if that is likely to placate everyone. ~X( ~X(