Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#21 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:12 am

Currently in California and SWMBO decided that I had to be despatched to the local supermarket to buy the cheapest bottle of white wine, for some obscure reason that I didn't question. ( well trained I am )

”Your birthdate? " then demanded the female cashier, who had obviously spent a lot of time in the Sun ( if I described her otherwise I'd be arrested for racism )

What ? I replied, do you really think I'm under 21, I'm flattered ! Law demands that we enter it into the till receipt data, she answered. How bloody stupid I responded, but 11th September 1934 , or 9/11 in your language ? See your I.D., was her next rejoinder. Just told you, I said but showed her my NZ driving licence anyway.

You've just lied to me, she then said, your birthday is 9th November, and whipped the bottle off the counter.

Hours later, or so it seemed, a supervisor appeared to accept my being over 21, but I still don't think really accepted my explanation that only the Americans print the date illogically, whereas my driving licence recorded it correctly. 11/9/34 not 9/11/34

No wonder they have Trump as their President, they're all friggin mad. ( well, not all, of them, after all I'm married to one !

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:48 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:12 am
Currently in California and SWMBO decided that I had to be despatched to the local supermarket to buy the cheapest bottle of white wine, for some obscure reason that I didn't question. ( well trained I am )

”Your birthdate? " then demanded the female cashier, who had obviously spent a lot of time in the Sun ( if I described her otherwise I'd be arrested for racism )

What ? I replied, do you really think I'm under 21, I'm flattered ! Law demands that we enter it into the till receipt data, she answered. How bloody stupid I responded, but 11th September 1934 , or 9/11 in your language ? See your I.D., was her next rejoinder. Just told you, I said but showed her my NZ driving licence anyway.

You've just lied to me, she then said, your birthday is 9th November, and whipped the bottle off the counter.

Hours later, or so it seemed, a supervisor appeared to accept my being over 21, but I still don't think really accepted my explanation that only the Americans print the date illogically, whereas my driving licence recorded it correctly. 11/9/34 not 9/11/34

No wonder they have Trump as their President, they're all friggin mad. ( well, not all, of them, after all I'm married to one !

The opening scene from Eating Raoul as I live and breathe! :YMPARTY:

Eating Raoul.JPG
Eating Raoul.JPG (47.35 KiB) Viewed 2360 times

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#23 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:45 am

I have had a LinkedIn account for many years. It has been useful to keep in contact with old colleagues. I get at least one contact request a day most of which I delete along with the many junk a day.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:30 pm

Chaco,

Interesting, thank you, but he didn't ask the young "lady's" age ?

If I'd had a gun, I might also have been tempted to use it ! Maybe Trump and the 2nd Amdmt. have a point, where does it say that you can't protect yourself from idiots ?

Apart from my obvious age, the price I was charged bore no relation to the shelf sticker price, add tax, 10c recycling tax per can and bottle, etc. WTF can't they print the price to show the inclusive amount ... but I've been there before

ExS.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:57 am

ExSp33db1rd,

Even airlines have started showing an itemised bill when they sell you a ticket.

Capetonian

#26 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:56 am

NOISE NOISE NOISE NOISE

Some lowlife up the road have acquired a yapping rat which they allow to yap all night long. Last night was the second night. Unfortunately I can't locate the source of the yapping, it is definitely not any of the properties adjacent. I rang the police who say they know about it as there have been other complaints but the owners are not present so they can't do anything about it. Nor will they give me the address so that I can deal with the matter directly. Next step will be animal welfare.

We have a young nephew staying with us who like most teenagers has a loud voice, and his current obsession is some idiotic mindless laptop game which seems to involve 22 hours a day shouting and whooping into a microphone to other people who presumably are doing the same.

Tonight the wireless router goes off when I go to bed and goes on again when it suits me to put it on.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 am

In the days before wireless routers, the TV room in the boarding house had an aerial lead that was deliberately routed through a connector in my staff flat above. The boys' TV signal would mysteriously be lost should hours or other rules be breached. Sometimes it could take days for the signal to be restored. The boys would say to me that it was as if the TV had a mind of its own, and was aware of what they were up to ;)))

Slasher

#28 Post by Slasher » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 am

...Unattended barking and continuously yapping bloody dogs all through the night are dealt with differently up in some parts of N Thailand. And afterwards involves Aninal Welfare to bury the noisy little bugger's pellet-ridden ass.

Capetonian

#29 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:13 am

Took teenage nephew to tennis ground this morning where he is spending the day doing sport. I dropped him 100 yards from the entrance to save myself 5 minutes in a convoluted one way system, and he bitched about walking.

Tomorrow I'll be dropping him 200 metres from the entrance!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by ian16th » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 am

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:13 am
Took teenage nephew to tennis ground this morning where he is spending the day doing sport. I dropped him 100 yards from the entrance to save myself 5 minutes in a convoluted one way system, and he bitched about walking.

Tomorrow I'll be dropping him 200 metres from the entrance!
Reminds me of the famous response to the request for transport to the Gym at Yatesbury.

"To save you walking, form up in three's,and we'll march you there!'
o:-)
Cynicism improves with age

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Magnus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:11 am

Right. Bose fekn expensive hifi. :-w

No matter what I do in the setup menu, my wave soundtouch shuts off after 20 minutes. Oddly, it behaves in Aux mode when I use it as a sound system for the tv, but both radio and CD shut down. I wanted discrete units so I could use my lovely Wharfedale speakers, but MrsP doesn't like them, so they languish in the loft while MrsP's preferred option generates apoplexy.

Beef Raiser
ATPL
ATPL

#32 Post by Beef Raiser » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:40 pm

One of my favourite rants is the use of "award winning". A recent flight on an orange airline (good service, no complaints, does what is says etc. etc.) was accompanied by a cabin PA which referred to their "award winning" in-flight sales service. FFS, is there really such an award ? How does flogging a buy on board ham and cheese toastie attract any sort of award ? Are there special points given for handing the chocolate bar to the customer with the logo the right way up ? How pissed off was the airline that came second ?

Beef

"award winning" grumpy bugger.

Beef Raiser
ATPL
ATPL

#33 Post by Beef Raiser » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:13 pm

Aaaaaaargh, I have just received an email advertising "award winning" airport parking. Are their painted lines particularly straight so they came first in the parking space parallelogram category ? Are the barriers more silent than their nearest competitor ?

Wuckfits !

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 pm

If you are new to framing carpentry, you'll want to make sure your work lasts. Obviously, following the building code will ensure your work stands up to the elements, but your real enemy is the next owner of the property. They may think they are doing alterations, or even claim them as repairs, but the truth is they will be trying to destroy your creation. Here's how to make their life a misery, and with luck they'll give up.
1) Follow the code nailing patterns. When sizing up the job, this lulls them into a false sense of what they will be taking on.
2) Nail any two pieces of wood with some nails from both sides. This means whichever side they access, they can't pull all the nails without ripping the wall covering off the other side too.
3) Add a few extra nails to each piece, preferably hammered in in places where the heads will be covered by other pieces later, so the enemy doesn't even know they're there.
4) Put them in at a diagonal, which makes them much hard to saw through. Make 'em big buggers too.
5) Don't separate nails on different faces. If you get all the nails from different angles to come together at a point, it's much harder to pry off any pieces, and makes saw cutting almost impossible.
6) Don't bother with careful measuring and spacing. Get one stud right then nail others to it till you get the right distance away. A wall of solid wood is much harder to take apart. Don't forget those extra hidden nails!

Next week: How to f#ck up an electrical wiring job.
Here's a teaser. If you have two 15 Amp circuits, run the 40W hall light off one of them, and run the entire upstairs lighting and sockets, the kitchen and bathroom lights, the outside light and the main lounge socket off the other one. Not only does this almost guarantee breaker trips, but the entire route to the breaker box will be in darkness. Ensure the switch for the basement lights is next to the breaker box, on the opposite corner to the basement entrance.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Wodrick » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 pm

How to f#ck up an electrical wiring job.
When were you in my house ?
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Oh, come on. This is just basic electrical f#ck-ups. ;)))
My mother has on several occasions called electricians into her new house to hear:
"Well, I dont think I've seen something like this since....well, I don't think I ever have, actually."
p.s. not kidding, by the way. Breaker 22 does have all the circuits listed attached to it, and Breaker 15 does have just the hall light.

And since my grandfather wired more houses than you've had hot dinners, including entire villages, and I started working for him at the age of ten, I know a bodge job when I see one. I could weep :((

As to my experience of Spanish electricians...well, let's just say they are on a par with their naval gunnery officers around the time of Trafalgar.

Capetonian

#37 Post by Capetonian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:37 am

Have you seen French wiring? Let's start with electrical sockets that come out of the wall, bringing half the building down, when you pull a plug out? Or lighting protectors that are bypassed so that they don't do their job? And about 4 different types of mutually incompatible plug in their own country, never mind being compatible with other EU countries.

Or the stupid system that your supplier charges you more depending on your estimated current draw, I'm not talking about consumption, so the French being the tight-fisted peasants that they are opt for the cheapest, so if you turn the hifi up while you have more than two 50 watt light bulbs on, the whole circuit board trips.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:37 am
Have you seen French wiring?
I'll see your French wiring and raise you South African wiring!
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#39 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 am

Slasher wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 am
...Unattended barking and continuously yapping bloody dogs all through the night are dealt with differently up in some parts of N Thailand. And afterwards involves Aninal Welfare to bury the noisy little bugger's pellet-ridden ass.
They have an even better way in Korea. [-X

The wiring in our house is lethal especially under thatch. Expecting a re-wire any day. Thought he may come today, still not too late.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Woody » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 am

I'll see your French wiring and raise you South African wiring!
I walked out of an apartment viewing after about one minute in Somerset West as there were bare wires showing, Estate agent couldn’t see any problem :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.