Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#7161 Post by Wodrick » Sat May 20, 2023 6:26 pm

I hope that *BOAC* is having a dig that he (schofield) does not qualify as entertainment.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7162 Post by 4mastacker » Sat May 20, 2023 9:16 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:02 pm

Is it the lot that occupied Aldi and then moved on to Dysart Park?
Yes, the very same.

They conned some neighbours into having their block paving driveway washed and re-sanded. Another neighbour who was watching said they chucked some buckets of water over the driveway and told the householder they would be back with the sand when the driveway had dried but needed the money (cash only) as they had to buy the sand from B&Q. Took the money (£250) and didn't return.

The neighbour who saw this, captured them on her doorbell camera. Her hubby just happens to be a policeman. Plod have now linked this scam with my report of their harassment of the elderly lady - it's the same scum.

If they're round your way, be aware they're posting flyers through folks' letterboxes. The company they're advertising - Eco Cleaning Services - is a scam and doesn't exist. One of their vans, a white Vauxhall Vivaro is on false plates - YK12 KWA. Let your neighbours know and be on your guard.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7163 Post by OFSO » Sun May 21, 2023 6:12 am

Spent yesterday trying to integrate two CCTV cameras from Big River into the house system. Could get them in but not to stay in. Useless for monitoring while we are away as needing constant resetting to WiFi. They go back today.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7164 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 21, 2023 8:50 am

4ma, thank you, noted and passed on.

OFSO, what make? Ring?
I got Foscam many years ago. I have added to the system a mix of wired and battery. Integration was easy and good help provided.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7165 Post by OFSO » Sun May 21, 2023 9:30 am

TP. Everything else is TP so thought it would be an easy job but I'm losing patience more easily with complications. Took them back to EVRI this morning, handed in, walked home, refund just arrived...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7166 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 21, 2023 11:37 am

From the Telegraph:
With a lack of demand for wool, farmers across Britain are yet again facing the prospect that the cost of shearing could turn out to be more than the fleeces are worth on the market.

Lack of demand by whom?

I have tried in vain to find a wool sweater in the shops. Even the remainder shops such as TkMaxx, my normal go to shop has none.

Brookes Taverner and Woolovers have good woollen though Edinburgh woollen mill has gone.

I think it is the buyers aren't buying, or aren't buying what we want. I would much prefer a superfine sweater than a cheap Asian cotton knit.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7167 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun May 21, 2023 1:55 pm

The huge problems with this kind of 'there's no demand' argument are the destruction of small business and/or government regulations.
The economic model is that, should existing manufacturers not be making what people want, new businesses will spring up to satisfy demand, and existing businesses will then shift production to complete.
However, in many businesses government regulation either forbids competition or makes it economically impossible (e.g. education, banking).
Furthermore, there's the near impossibility of setting up a competing small business in any service or industry due to government regulation and licencing rules falling much more heavily on small businesses in term of cost per employee/product.
And that's before we consider any deliberate/corrupt regulations/licencing that politicians put in place to favour larger cartels over small business.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7168 Post by G-CPTN » Sun May 21, 2023 1:59 pm

"There's no demand - we're always being asked for them - but there's no demand . . . "

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7169 Post by G-CPTN » Mon May 22, 2023 10:42 pm

My first rant is the request to use my details for their research and information purposes, but the main rant is that, having responded to the questions (and expressed my desire to NOT allow their use of my data) the next time I visit their site they ask the same bloody questions!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7170 Post by llondel » Mon May 22, 2023 11:22 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:42 pm
My first rant is the request to use my details for their research and information purposes, but the main rant is that, having responded to the questions (and expressed my desire to NOT allow their use of my data) the next time I visit their site they ask the same bloody questions!
That's because they honoured your request last time and now have no record of your previous visit or your responses.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7171 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon May 22, 2023 11:31 pm

Well, that's the excuse.
Logically, they should remember only your request not to be allowed to use your data, because there is therefore no point asking again.
In truth, they'll just keep the automatics nagging you till you give in.
I say you. You probably won't, but enough will.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7172 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue May 23, 2023 8:29 am

The installer of our newly renovated ensuite shower room sent an electrician and roofer today to fit a humidity fan and to lift slates to fit an associated roof vent. Got talking to the roofer who is self employed and by default is a one man business. He's registered with one of these Trusted Trader schemes and is booked up until the end of 2024. He can't get any adults to fill the vacancies he has where he will train them up, nor can he get any young apprentices to train. As he says, no-one wants to be a roofer - seen as a physically too hard job in all weathers. I suppose sitting at home on benefits is preferable. What is this country coming to.....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7173 Post by Woody » Tue May 23, 2023 8:49 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:42 pm
Maybe you could try this approach to the survey :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7174 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue May 23, 2023 8:59 am

We used to go into our very overpaid accountants to sign all the papers for our company annual return. Easy. Now we have to do it on line. It has been sent back to us twice now. Less work for them if we just go in. They are right opposite our town pub. No problem.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7175 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue May 23, 2023 9:22 am

We bought a cushion from a ffrench company with a UK site and now get regular offers for children's clothes. I have clicked the unsubscribe to no avail.
Now I report them to GCHQ and Spamcop

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7176 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed May 24, 2023 9:08 pm

Part manufacturers who put hard-to-remove labels on bearing surfaces.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7177 Post by jimtherev » Wed May 24, 2023 10:12 pm

And ditto those who put same labels on ovenware. Water, lighter fluid, acetone, white spirit - none of them will soften the gum.
Actually, looks to be good stuff, this adhesive. Wonder where I can get some.
Meanwhile...

emjay
Snr FO
Snr FO
Re: Gummy labels..

#7178 Post by emjay » Wed May 24, 2023 10:22 pm

Grease will often do the trick. A blob of bacon fat (cholesterol horrors!) or olive oil (blended sufficient) turns the adhesive into a chewing gum texture that can be removed. Now degrease the part, eh voilà.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7179 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed May 24, 2023 10:52 pm

Thank you both.
I normally try isopropol alcohol then grease, I'm just narked that I have to.
Then of course there's the scale markings and safety stuff that falls off in a week ;)))

p.s. You're right, Jim. Try buying an adhesive that good when you need things to stick!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7180 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu May 25, 2023 12:56 am

Goo GoneTM is a commercial product that I have used with generally good results.

PP