Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#2061 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:12 pm

Voip is brilliant BUT you do need a reasonable 2g mobile phone signal at home 'cos when you have a power failure you lose VOIP.

I'd be interested to know what Symmetris would offer. I suggest you avoid satellite unless there is absolutely nothing else.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2062 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 am

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm
Huh?
Yeah, too cryptic, only just remembered what I was thinking.

Couldn't Ex-Ascot allow ops-normallers fast track applications? Proven ability of old age, decrepitude, and downright cunning :)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2063 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 am

Sisemen wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:49 am
They’re definitely not going to be happy with this then =))

B9BE3623-5618-4AA0-9D04-5735686D89CF.jpeg
Reminds me of an AAIB report into an A4 (light aircraft) that hit a cliff. The female passenger cwas similarly engaged at the time.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2064 Post by Woody » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:02 pm

The M6 X( X( X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2065 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Woody wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:02 pm
The M6 X( X( X(

You should have been on it yesterday - it was fine - no problems at all. ;)))
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2066 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:27 pm

4ma, like the A1 Wednesday. No problem south of Grantham and nice and dry at Gainsborough. It was the bit in between - both ways - that were a bit wet.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2067 Post by Woody » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:57 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:06 pm
Woody wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:02 pm
The M6 X( X( X(

You should have been on it yesterday - it was fine - no problems at all. ;)))
Very helpful

Over 7 hours from Lake District to the Royal Borough, knackered and back up at silly o’clock for shift at Perry Oaks International tomorrow X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2068 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:27 pm
4ma, like the A1 Wednesday. No problem south of Grantham and nice and dry at Gainsborough. It was the bit in between - both ways - that were a bit wet.
I was up close and personal with that wetness - we were doing a concrete pour at me lock project. Thank Eff it was the last one.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2069 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Catching up on my BT saga - on Wednesday the third BT engineer turned up. He found a corrosion fault on the box on the outside of the house. Swapped over two of the feeds there and at the master socket in the house. Now there is no dialling tone at my phone but there is at the master socket. Somehow the internal wiring had blown at an internal socket as he swapped connections. Fixed that - no noise. Hurray.

Three hours later tried to make a call - horrendous line noise again. Texted BT Case Management. Engineer booked for, and arrives at 0800 Friday. After an hour away from the house he returns and pronounces there is a cable fault 236 metres away in an underground cable. YES, that is what the first engineer told me on May 9th!!!! This engineer is not qualified to work on underground cables! Fault referred back to BT Case Management.

Saturday, email from BT - glad that we've fixed your phone line. No you haven't!!!! Texted BT Case Management in angry mode. BT phone my mobile - Oh that's just a standard text that goes out when the engineer closes his work!!! Why send it if the fault is ongoing!!! Was told engineers will be out "early in the week" to work on the cable. I won't hold my breath....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2070 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:59 am

Maybe it's not good form to start the week with a rant, and possibly on the wrong thread, as I see there are individual banking threads, but here goes.

Got up and logged onto my mobile Natwest banking app to check my credit card statement and balance, but there was no evidence of the account at all! Logged in online using the web and this time at least the account was there but without balances or statement details. After much searching finally found an online Natwest telephone number, and having been stung by the charge, got through to somebody who purported to support the online systems but whose heavy Liverpudlian accent made even the most simple conversation difficult, not least because she didn't seem to understand the system she was supporting.

"Can you...unintelligible.... unintelligible... number", said she

"Do you want my customer number or my pin number", I said.

"unintelligible... unintelligible...number ", said she...

And so this went on until I was finally able to ascertain that she now realized that she needed the nth two letters of my pin number as she had initially said she was looking for the customer number.

Having got this far I was finally able to explain my problem only to be told, I think, that she was putting me through to credit card services and I was handed off without a bye your leave, and had to fill in all my details with the robot lady on the other end (at least I could understand her) only for the line to be cut off just as I finished going through the whole rigamarole again.

Anyway after 2 more attempts I finally got to speak to a human that spoke English and she asked how she could help me and I asked for my balance only to be told that she couldn't as all their systems were down...! At least that explained my original problem.

Who knows if I will ever see my statement online again. No doubt they won't have lost the outstanding balance that has to be paid!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Capetonian

#2071 Post by Capetonian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 am

I have had a number of problems with NatWest's CC app. They gave some months' warning that they were discontinuing the website (what about people who don't have a smart phone?) so I downloaded the app in February. It never worked properly because my current account is NatWest International and never the twain shall meet. They were pretty helpful on the 'phone, the people I spoke to mostly had Narn Iron accents which I am quite at home with, but on one day I rang and the guy had one of those very heavy Manchester/Asian accents which for some reason immediately puts my back up, and he kept saying 'okey dokey' and 'no problem', both of which irritate me.

It took a week or two to get both apps up and running in parallel, and I now have a different customer number to remember for each.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2072 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:09 pm

I had to cancel my bank card today.

Raining. Extracted card from machine, put card in pocket. Got two £10 freshly minted. Put in pocket. Drove home. Got tenners out, no card.

Rang my CC insurer to cancel. My bank doesn't take details from them. Rang bank. "We are experiencing extremely high call volumes". Do they but these little recordings in? Where don't they turn the volume down?

Then "Enter 16 digit card number". If I could do that . . .

Eventually got through to someone born in the British Isles. Wife was able to interpret. Got card cancelled.

Daughter arrives; gave her 2x£10 for the grandkids trip, cash card sitting on table. Bloody wet plastic.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2073 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Can you uncancel the card?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2074 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:51 pm

No, anyway I usually use the wife's.

Just the over modulated unintelligible call centre problem.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2075 Post by ian16th » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:12 pm
Can you uncancel the card?
No.

Been through the loop.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#2076 Post by Capetonian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Some of my cards can be suspended or frozen using the app. Useful if you think you've lost one, and I tend to keep frozen any that I am not currently using.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2077 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 pm
Some of my cards can be suspended or frozen using the app. Useful if you think you've lost one, and I tend to keep frozen any that I am not currently using.
Intersting feature Cape.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2078 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:29 pm

That app 'freeze card' feature is becoming common in Canada, also. There's a TV ad showing a classic 'lost card, freeze; oops, found it, unfreeze'.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2079 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Barclay card?

I love the female on the bus advert.

That app is perfect as your card might be deep in a pocket or handbag and many reasons why you can't search, in my case, pissing down.

What really worries me is the time it takes to deactivate a contactless card.

Easy? Ring their cancellation line, you can get the number of their web site. Then they ask for the long card number, then the sort code, then the account number etc etc.

OK, shop CCTV will show who used your card but for £20-30 will they bother? Will they refund for maluse before you tell them?

Dream on.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2080 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm

I was surprised to find the Freeze feature has been around for two years;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mone ... -che/amp/k