Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#5421 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:39 pm

It's an ill wind........

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5422 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:18 pm

Not truly a rant as I can understand the reasons - at my visit last week I had noted that my excellent dental hygienist had raised her fees for a half hour appointment from £40 to £50 when she restarted seeing people. I didn't think to query it but a friend who went to her did query it and the reason is it's £10 extra for the single use PPE for her and the nurse. Hopefully when things return to normal and PPE is no longer required for procedures involving water/airborne particles the fee will reduce..... :))
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5423 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:14 pm

That is a rip-off. Both local dentists here have always (i.e BC) used one-off protective clothing.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5424 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:57 pm

C16, both our dentist and assistant now wear masks, it used to be just the dentist. The masks now are much more akin to an oxygen mask with a hard shell and tight fit. I don't think they are one time though. NHS prices have risen too by about a pound.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#5425 Post by k3k3 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:31 pm

Our dentist surgery does a full decontam procedure between patients which limits the number of patients per day.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5426 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:38 am

Same here though they manage brilliantly. They are open 12x7 and give you a timed appointment, ie a check is 20 minutes, some an hour and you never have to wait. They are able to give an appointment same week even.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5427 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:46 am

Blxxdy Motor Bike won’t start. Good battery turns over the motor at a fair lick, tank is nearly full and fuel in the carb. sumps checked by opening the drains , so not a fuel starvation problem, choke mechanical operation OK – can’t see what it actually does, but all the external connections and movements are normal. I suspect ignition of course, but to check the plugs I have to remove the tank and major bits which I don’t have time to do at the moment. I could put an external plug on one of the more easily accessible leads to check, but Murphy recently dictated that whilst undergoing some garage clearance I didn’t need a few old plugs that were lying around, so I don’t even have one old plug to play with. Never throw anything away. I doubt that all four plugs would fail at the same time, anyway and suspect the handlebar kill switch. I’ve given it a good squirt of aerosol switch cleaner and blown it dry with an aerosol of compressed air to no avail, and the man-wot-does says that in the event that this is the cause then it can be wired out of circuit, which suits me., the central ignition switch is working OK. A new kill switch, even if available some 35 years after manufacture, is a major, being an integral part of the whole right hand handlebar throttle assembly.

Any experiences ?

ribrash

#5428 Post by ribrash » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:50 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:46 am
Blxxdy Motor Bike won’t start. Good battery turns over the motor at a fair lick, tank is nearly full and fuel in the carb. sumps checked by opening the drains , so not a fuel starvation problem, choke mechanical operation OK – can’t see what it actually does, but all the external connections and movements are normal. I suspect ignition of course, but to check the plugs I have to remove the tank and major bits which I don’t have time to do at the moment. I could put an external plug on one of the more easily accessible leads to check, but Murphy recently dictated that whilst undergoing some garage clearance I didn’t need a few old plugs that were lying around, so I don’t even have one old plug to play with. Never throw anything away. I doubt that all four plugs would fail at the same time, anyway and suspect the handlebar kill switch. I’ve given it a good squirt of aerosol switch cleaner and blown it dry with an aerosol of compressed air to no avail, and the man-wot-does says that in the event that this is the cause then it can be wired out of circuit, which suits me., the central ignition switch is working OK. A new kill switch, even if available some 35 years after manufacture, is a major, being an integral part of the whole right hand handlebar throttle assembly.

Any experiences ?
Years ago I couldn't get my Capri to start.Checked every thing,changed what I could.Rang my garage man.He told me to check the butterfly valve in the carb ( manual choke in those days ) Can't remember if it was stuck open or closed.Cleaned the inside of the carb and everything went back to normal. :-bd

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5429 Post by OFSO » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:03 am

Years ago my Daimler Benz motorhome would not start after a rest stop on the way back to Germany from my getting married (first time). All my in-laws on board. Engine inside the vehicle, under a cover. We phoned Mercedes directly and they said hit the starter relay with a hammer. We replied done that with a large screwdriver handle, to which the guy at Mercedes said "use a large hammer - the Mercedes is a refined vehicle. " We did and it started. (Never happened again. ) Father-in-law was a blacksmith by trade, worked for Opel. Found incident hilarious.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5430 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:58 am

Been through the starter motor saga, eventually replaced the starter motor, but not that this time and the starter winds the motor over at a fair lick. Not had time to investigate further yet, next action to check if I'm getting a spark at the plugs, suspect not.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5431 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:33 pm

I had a vehicle which had a propensity for destroying distributor contact-breaker points sets.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5432 Post by llondel » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:31 pm

I had a starter motor failure on my current car. It was showing signs of something not being happy, although that was fixed with a bit of percussive maintenance with a length of 4x2 I kept in the car. Until one day it didn't. Of course, it was the day when I was up near SFO, and it was dark. Of course, being an automatic, you can't just bump start it. Had to pay for a tow home, and ordered a new starter motor, which I fitted. Except I forgot to reconnect the radiator fan, and in traffic a few days later I became aware of clouds of steam rising from the bonnet. Plan B, engage the emergency cooler - open the car windows and turn up the heat and fan inside the car. That got it down low enough to get home and plug the fan back in. I'd figured out immediately what the problem when I saw the steam, so it was just a case of get it home and fix it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5433 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:29 am

Based on TGG's scurrilous post elsewhere :

TGG, I gave that as much attention as BM's posts. 😝

My cheap chinky phone spell checker is pretty good. It is the Amazon one that is particularly inept and frustrating.
I type a word and it displays something else even though the first was correct. I back space, correct and carry on but fail to notice that it ignored my correction.

Or it spots a typo, offers the correct word but if I then enter a comma or period ignores it's own correct suggestion.

Or there maybe a small correction, say I want to add an S. I back space to the word and enter S only for it to display word S which necessitates further back spacing and deletion of the space.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5434 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:31 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:29 am
Based on TGG's scurrilous post elsewhere :

TGG, I gave that as much attention as BM's posts. 😝

My cheap chinky phone spell checker is pretty good. It is the Amazon one that is particularly inept and frustrating.
I type a word and it displays something else even though the first was correct. I back space, correct and carry on but fail to notice that it ignored my correction.

Or it spots a typo, offers the correct word but if I then enter a comma or period ignores it's own correct suggestion.

Or there maybe a small correction, say I want to add an S. I back space to the word and enter S only for it to display word S which necessitates further back spacing and deletion of the space.
=))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5435 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:42 am

PN- any clues which
scurrilous post elsewhere :??
It is the Amazing one that is particularly incest and fermenting.
I type a weird and it displays something else even though the fist was collect.
Have you actually tried turning it off?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5436 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:45 am

I might try and find out how

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5437 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:46 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:42 am
PN- any clues which
scurrilous post elsewhere :??
It is the Amazing one that is particularly incest and fermenting.
I type a weird and it displays something else even though the fist was collect.
Have you actually tried turning it off?
This one Boac.

viewtopic.php?p=304450#p304450
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5438 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:28 am

I might try and find out how
What is the tablet? On my 'Fire' it is at

Settings
Keyboard & Language
Current Keyboard Settings
Auto-correction

Mine went off on day 1!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5439 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:52 am

Fck'n BT....nuff said!!
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5440 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:31 pm

47 years
"Would you like t put some pasta on?"

"Where is it?" Now it could be in the pantry or it could be in the cupboard that she is standing in front of.

"Get out of the kitchen"

It is entirely analogous to "Pass me a screw driver." My garage, my tools, after 47 years I don't ask for the 1 1/2 inch dome headed jappened screws and blade screw driver. Ever since pasta morphed from spaghetti or macaroni i have no idea.