Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#5301 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:21 am

Last night at 9pm a neighbour was mowing his lawn with an electric mower. Right now another is using a petrol mower, bl**dy midday, I ask you.

Me? I contemplated mowing mine last week but rejected the idea. As I look across the green lush sward I think another week may pass. I have never felt the need to use a sprinkler on a mature lawn either.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5302 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:54 pm

I have just finished mowing the lawn. Selfish I know but I suffered in the heat for my sin.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5303 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:50 pm

The Not green goblin

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5304 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:19 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:50 pm
The Not green goblin
The grass was green... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5305 Post by llondel » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:31 pm

We had someone out this morning using power tools of some description before 8:30am on a Sunday. I have some sympathy, because it's going to be way too hot later, but I'm sure anyone else local will probably be annoyed. I was up at 5am this morning to start my puppy shift so was not annoyed by it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5306 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:32 pm

Bought a Swan kettle back in October. Very smart except the lid was chromed plastic and bubbled. Got a replacement on the 29th June, 16th it would not switch off and had to use the main switch. This morning before Mrs PN could hit the switch the metal inside melted and a slug dropped though the plastic base causing it to catch fire.

Don't buy a Swan kettle made in Chinkland

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5307 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 pm

I bought a Russell Hobbs kettle. Think I spelled that correctly, too hot to get up and check it in the kitchen. Anyway, 'Hob' was, I think, an old name for the Devil. Wasn't that in Quatermass? However no manifestations yet, although I have drawn a pentacle in flour round it on the work surface, just in case....somehow I do not see the Devil as a tea-drinker. God, I'm sure, drinks Earl Grey. Possibly Jim the Rev could give an opinion? ((Very hot here, excuse the rambling.))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5308 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Hobbs. Save your flour, flower.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#5309 Post by jimtherev » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:23 pm

OFSO wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 pm
I bought a Russell Hobbs kettle. Think I spelled that correctly, too hot to get up and check it in the kitchen. Anyway, 'Hob' was, I think, an old name for the Devil. Wasn't that in Quatermass? However no manifestations yet, although I have drawn a pentacle in flour round it on the work surface, just in case....somehow I do not see the Devil as a tea-drinker. God, I'm sure, drinks Earl Grey. Possibly Jim the Rev could give an opinion? ((Very hot here, excuse the rambling.))
Two can rant and ramble, I guess. Seemsterme that the trend is that someone in some meridian far far away buys up an ailing company for the sake of the brand, sticks the brand-name on the particular piece of cr@p he/she/it wants to sell at the time and brings the reputation of the brand (not the original company, that was long gone) down to zero. Rather like the British motor industry, where Austin swallowed Morris/wolsley/Lanchester, to produce British Motor Company which swallowed Triumph and Leyland and Jaguar/Daimler and eventually Rover, each brand name in turn soon gaining a well-earned reputation of unreliable cak. (Helped predictably on, of course by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.)

As to the Good Lord's Favourite Beverage, I'm not sure He drinks at all. I rather think that St John the Divine in Revelation tells us that those who enter Heaven "neither hunger nor thirst, for the Lamb Who is in the midst of the throne shall feed them."
On the other hand, I'm not too sure how much we can rely on the prophecies of the aforementioned St John, since he had self-evidently been on the mushrooms when he wrote Revelation.
So in all honesty, OFSO, I have to admit I don't know about Earl Grey. Can't stand the stuff myself, but that may be because it was my wicked stepmother's favourite tipple.
After gin... and Scotch... and rum... and Mackeson... and... and...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5310 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:54 am

I'm sure that "none will hunger or thirst" but there might be indulgances which add to the pleasure of having been Saved. Tea or a G&T perhaps. I share your dislike of Earl Grey. Perhaps in the Other Place, one is forced to drink it. A nice cup of Waitrose Gold is on my bedside table as I peck at the phone.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5311 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:19 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
The Not green goblin
As I said elsewhere, our neighbour trimmed his lawn at 9pm Friday and it is brown, how's yours?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5312 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:44 am

Jim, spot on, the clue often is the stick on label proclaiming the brand. I had a small wine cooler, size was the critical dimension. It broke and I was cajoled to buy an insurance repair on a repair or replace basis by a well known insurance rip off company.

They could not fix it as parts unavailable though I found the make and part on line. They sent a repair but their agent confused size and capacity. Yes, it did hold 12 bottles but was too tall.

After much argument they exchanged it for an identical one, identical in every respect apart from the label. They checked stock and the only other make was the same.

Meanwhile I found a suitable size replacement and told them to supply that. They couldn't. I argued that their like for like was a sham.

They asked for the name of the other company, CDC I said. They could not get their head around a name that was simply Ceedeecee 😁

They refunded my premiums and gave me a cheque for the replacement condenser. (See the cost/repair argument).

I bought the one from CDC that had a 50% greater capacity and sold the u/s one on eBay.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5313 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:55 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Pontius Navigator wrote:
The Not green goblin
As I said elsewhere, our neighbour trimmed his lawn at 9pm Friday and it is brown, how's yours?
Ah, I didn't cut it too short. I shall take a picture of it as it is this morning, after I have stopped sweating... gym, not grass cutting this time. It is a tad warm here today ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5314 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:20 am

19 in the shade estimating 28 and already at 23 in the sun. 26 indoors. Just counted up, we have 16 temperature sensors around the house.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5315 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:29 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:55 am
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:

Ah, I didn't cut it too short. I shall take a picture of it as it is this morning, after I have stopped sweating... gym, not grass cutting this time. It is a tad warm here today ;)))
The bumpy green sward, female dog hormone burned *, not sun burned, that abuts the Goblin's lair... cut, but not too shaven, mostly au natural, like all good women are...

Grass.JPG
I am the mown grass, dying at your feet,
The pale grass, gasping faintly in the sun.
I shall be dead, long, long ere day is done,
That you may say: "The air, to-day, was sweet."
I am the mown grass, dying at your feet.
Margaret Gilman Davidson

* My better half informs me that female dog urine is no more damaging to grass than male dog urine but when I point that we had two female dogs she simply looks at me, a mere male, with female contempt!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5316 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:45 am

The latter is correct. We had two dogs in the 50s and 60s and lots of burns. From the 70s, spayed and unspayed and never a burn.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5317 Post by ricardian » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:12 am

Not exactly cheating but yet another case of not following the rules in sport. What is the world coming to!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5318 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:20 am

ricardian wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:12 am
Not exactly cheating but yet another case of not following the rules in sport. What is the world coming to!
Very depressing to see the Norwegians taking such a short sighted position to this critical aspect of the game... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5319 Post by Hydromet » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:17 am

ricardian wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:12 am
Apparently, the requirement for female beach volley ball players to wear masks means that they now have double the amount of clothing.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5320 Post by tango15 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:54 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Pontius Navigator wrote:
The Not green goblin
But nor for much longer in this heat. It will be a nice pale shade of fawn very soon! :))