Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#501 Post by ian16th » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Bl**dy Black Friday!

Why do we have to import these Septic holiday's?
Its all Amazons fault.

I was in desperate need of supplies so I had to go out and fight to get on the road, then to park and then to get into the shop.

If it hadn't been essential I could have stayed comfy at home.

Well I got my case of beer and it is all cooling in my fridge.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#502 Post by Capetonian » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:21 pm

This time last year, or perhaps it was the year before, I had to drive from Stellenbosch to Somerset West on black bloody Friday and it took an hour and a half.

I hate shopping at the best of times and Black Friday has to be the worst time.

CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

#503 Post by CremeEgg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:23 pm

[
During my renewal discussion with Direct Line in post #489 they asked if there was anyone I would like them to note as being able to discuss the policy on my behalf. Maybe it would be worth your mother registering you as being able to do that with Esure?
*]

Halifax offered to register my power of attorney - but then failed on two counts. How does a 90 year old with no computer email them a copy and I can't take a copy to my local branch because they closed it 6 months ago. Knobheads.

Slasher

#504 Post by Slasher » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:59 am

More typical TSA thuggery. This time Phoenix.

Notice how that fat ugly short-haired monkey in the foreground relishes every moment of this poor woman's suffering. :ymtongue:

Pure c**ts the lot of 'em.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#505 Post by Fliegenmong » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:32 am

The TSA is just another reason I avoid the US as much as possible.....mostly great people...awesome people in fact...and a fabulous country....but largely lost their way now in a divided country where atrocities occur with regretful frequency and BS such as that video is the norm....

Have previously traveled in the US extensively on staff tickets, and get the dreaded "SSS" stamped on the boarding pass....when asked to step aside I used to put my hands up in the air, as if under police arrest....they didn't like it....but I explained to them they were treating me as a criminal, and as such I was showing my hands and putting them in the air as if under arrest....

I live in the virtual 51st state now....no point in flying 14hrs to be treated as a criminal...
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#506 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:20 am

The TSA have subjected me to much sh*t over the years ..... but now I am the proud possessor of a Colostomy Bag, the result, thankfully, of successful colorectal cancer surgery !

I have been advised that The Bag is occasionally the means by which small items of contraband, diamonds, for instance, are smuggled around, so ... I now try not to pre-empty the bag before leaving for the airport, LAX my usual point of departure , and will be delighted if I have to stand and watch some uniformed TSA goon sort through the contents of my bag !! Hopefully in public, I don't care. In practice I carry a "Blue Card" issued by a cancer org. that is supposed to be recognised by the TSA as my being subject to some sort of disability that means I can by-pass the normal security screens and be screened separately. This means that I am usually taken around the outside of the x-ray, body scanner booths and after a public "pat-down" I am asked to pat the front of my clothes around the area of my bag, i.e. left front. My hands are then swabbed for traces of explosive !! FFS, if I were a terrorist trying to introduce explosives by way of a Bag, one not being clinically necessary, just a front, so to speak, to avoid an x-ray, then I would be damned sure that I washed my hands after filling it. WTF do they think that they are achieving.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Familiar Brands, that aren't

#507 Post by ian16th » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:42 am

A rant.

Today I have received a Black Friday Weekend Special e-mail.

It included a Kodak Camera! Something that I haven't seen for yonks. So I followed the link and arrived here.

Being the curious type that I am I did some Giggling and eventually came here.

I'm not in the market for a digital camera, but I was piqued by the Kodak name being used.

But why should I have expected anything different?

Today when you buy a product, the badge can be meaningless.

Brand names that took years to build, are sold off and stuck on Chinese rubbish.

There should be a website listing meaningless brand names.

Besides Kodak, we can add Russell Hobbs and Telefunken, any offers of more?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#508 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Rolls Royce cars.

Nowadays they're just Beamers with the RR badge and the silver lady.

Even the engines are BMW engines. Y'know, the BMW that made the engines that powered the Bf-109 that shot down all those Rolls Royce powered Spitfires and Hurricanes. :(

We may have beaten the bastards in two world wars and a world cup, but the bastards are beating us in what really matters.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#509 Post by ian16th » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Y'know, the BMW that made the engines that powered the Bf-109 that shot down all those Rolls Royce powered Spitfires and Hurricanes. :(
The 1st and last Bf-109's built both had RR engines!

And most of those in between had Daimler-Benz engines.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#510 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:44 pm

And their beers are better too

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#511 Post by ian16th » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:44 pm
And their beers are better too
I disagree.

Some of their beers are better than some English beers, but good English beer is better than the best German beer.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#512 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:58 pm

My father and a former boss have a strong dislike for British cuisine. They pointed out that you can't find a decent British restaurant outside the UK - the resorts were British go for vacation being the only exception. The same goes for beers - I can't name a British beer being available in the places where I have lived.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#513 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:21 pm

I can't name a British beer being available in the places where I have lived.
Saw Badger (Blandford Forum, Dorset ) in a Supermarkert near Los Angeles earlier this year, but at a price that was ridiculous, I refuse to pay more than around US$1 for beer when there, usually wait until a "Friday Special" or similar lets me buy a 12 pack for around $13 ( plus the never posted tax, of course )

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#514 Post by k3k3 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:40 am

In San Diego I saw mineral water from Wales in 12oz bottles. I can't remember the price, I think I didn't believe it.

ribrash

#515 Post by ribrash » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:02 am

Just about sums this piss poor country up.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-46316985

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#516 Post by ian16th » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:41 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:58 pm
I can't name a British beer being available in the places where I have lived.
Good English beer is not pasteurised, as a result it doesn't travel.

The drinker needs to travel to the source.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#517 Post by Hydromet » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Good English beer is not pasteurised, as a result it doesn't travel.

The drinker needs to travel to the source.
I've found no shortage of good English beers during my travels there in the past few years. In fact, the best way to meet new people is to ask some locals in a pub what is a good local beer. There will be no shortage of recommendations.
I've found after long and arduous research that most English beer tastes better at a temperature that would be considered 'fresh off the stove' in Australia.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#518 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Comparing the paintings of the riots of the Paris Commune, around1790, with the media photos of this weekend's protests, one notices a salient difference. The thuggish men were there, the armoured defenders of the peace, just the same people although differently dressed, and even a woman, not carrying a sword on top of the barricades but up a traffic light, carrying a tricolour, however: in the paintings of the 1790 protests the woman had at least one and frequently two buxom breasts exposed. Today ? No. Not an authentic Parisian manifestation in my humble opinion.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#519 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:53 pm

English beer tastes better at a temperature that would be considered 'fresh off the stove' in Australia.
and not fizzy, that's why the "Cousins" say "Limey's like their beer warm and flat" Yeah! Right ! Maybe not really flat, but I don't like the "Lager" type beers that the rest of the world seem to make. I get very queer looks ( maybe "queer" isn't the right word ! ) when I pour a bottle of lager type beer, even the more malty ones that are available in NZ, then furiously stir it and wait for the froth to dissipate. ( Nothing queer about me, Carruthers )

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#520 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:06 pm

I don't enjoy very fizzy drinks (even soft drinks).

When I was a young teenager, I 'discovered' Apfelsaft during a school trip to Germany - and I can still consume flat apple juice in continuous draughts (though cider is my choice of pub drink - I do drink real ale as well).
Highly carbonated beverages (whether alcoholic or not) are not consumed rapidly.