General Chit Chat
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#5381 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:22 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:29 am
Don't you just love Private Number or Number Withheld. Our hospital and surgery use these.
I have to punch myself not to answer F*** O** and answer just "Yes?" .

Having said who they are comes the inevitable "for data protection purposes ....."
" No, you called me."

How many of you however voluntarily release a piece of personal information not usually in the public domain? Your birth registration is a matter of record but not the date. The date is private and personal between you, family, friends, medics, and whoever read the announcement by your joyous parents in The Times.

You then publish it on farcebook, give it to your bank, and any random website that asks for it.
I ask the personal tax number for ID purposes around 70 times a day. When a customer refuses I explain the idea is to protect their personal data from someone who might have stolen their mobile. Most of the times it works

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5382 Post by llondel » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:13 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:29 am
How many of you however voluntarily release a piece of personal information not usually in the public domain? Your birth registration is a matter of record but not the date. The date is private and personal between you, family, friends, medics, and whoever read the announcement by your joyous parents in The Times.

You then publish it on farcebook, give it to your bank, and any random website that asks for it.
I have an internet birthday which is not the same as my real one. I keep it consistent so I can remember it, but it doesn't match anything official.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5383 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 pm

Ilondel, it's just odd getting birthday greetings from some Boy on the 1st of a month.

Thinks, I use Moonpig, particularly for NZ. Now they remind me when a birthday card is due. Did the person to whom I am sending birthday greetings consent to Moonpig storing their data?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5384 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:00 am

In Aberdeenshire Council's area you have to report potholes in the road long before they appear ;))) because it can take well over 3 years for them to be fixed - as in the case below. I am a fervent reporter of potholes, with photographs, and yesterday I had a dozen similar notifications confirming various potholes had been fixed.....
pothole.JPG
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5385 Post by Hydromet » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:26 am

As I'm turning 75 soon I had to have a medical & eye test for my driver's licence. Passed OK, but because optometrist was having computer problems he couldn't submit it on line. No problem for me to drop the hard copy in, which I did the same day.
Yesterday I received a "polite reminder" (their words) that they hadn't received it and I should get it in pronto. I assumed that it was just caught up in their system, but thought I'd better check, just in case. Sure enough, it had been lost.
Fortunately I had a receipted copy, so back to them with it. This time, I stayed there until they had made sure it was entered into their system.

All sorted (I hope), but a waste of three hours on the phone and waiting at their service centre.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5386 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:32 am

Hydromet, when we were mere youths, would we have got away with poor or unsatisfactory work? Now it is the problem with the computer.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5387 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:44 am

" Now it is the problem with the computer."

No - it is the problem with those who do not preview or review what they have prepared before publishing. A bad workman and all that.........

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5388 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:55 am

True to a point except with Amazon one has to recheck more than once as it will revert even after a correction.

For example, where I to type

Spekking it will suggest Spelling and indeed correct it should I press the space bar. If however I 'accept' Spelling and press a period or comma it immediately types Spekking,

Then, should I return an correct the kk it will probably change it to Spekk lling or some other nonsense. My best option is not to use Amazon.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5389 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:59 am

Yes - I don't know what you mean by 'Amazon' - are you blaming some app you have installed on an Amazon tablet? Switch it off and use brain?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5390 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:00 am

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:59 am
Yes - I don't know what you mean by 'Amazon' - are you blaming some app you have installed on an Amazon tablet? Switch it off and use brain?
The App is integral to the Fire.

At least it exercises more brains than mine.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5391 Post by Hydromet » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:35 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:32 am
Hydromet, when we were mere youths, would we have got away with poor or unsatisfactory work? Now it is the problem with the computer.
I don't know how much better or worse things are now. When I first started work some of the old blokes were pretty slipshod at times, but I also remember being warned never to send anything out or up the line without being sure it was right - having the correct working but making an arithmetical mistake doesn't cut it in the real world. Also, in any job, some tasks will be boring, but they have to be done, and sometimes it will be you that has to do them. Do them properly.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5392 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:38 am

Not on mine it ain't! 38 seconds of your time?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5393 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:43 am

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:38 am
Not on mine it ain't! 38 seconds of your time?
Are you trying to stifle creativity at its source?

Fie, PN's Amazon Fire is the muse that fires up his creativity! To disable the unpredictable predictions would be akin to rending Keats from his Fanny Brawne, or plucking Jeanne Duval from Baudelaire's loving arms. Don't let us separate the Ying from the Yang Boac, lest we forever still the ever bubbling cauldron of PN's unpredictable ciphers and we are left to rue the onset of wretched, predictable, banality in ops-normal's social discourse!

=))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5394 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 am

Oh my God! Have you been meeting with BM lately? Life is too short................

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5395 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:04 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 am
Oh my God! Have you been meeting with BM lately?
He is my muse, the bull to my *****! :))

Je m'amuse!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5396 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:51 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:43 am
..... would be akin to rending Keats from his Fanny Brawne.....
I did a double take there - my great grandmother on my mother's side was a Fanny Braine... :))
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5397 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:42 pm

PN - while we discuss your literary ''prowess', can you explain to me who it is that posts under your username on TOP and how all his/her posts do not display the same problems?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5398 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Away from home and PC and my phone has just died on me.☹
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5399 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:42 pm
PN - while we discuss your literary ''prowess', can you explain to me who it is that posts under your username on TOP and how all his/her posts do not display the same problems?
Laptop with a keyboard

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5400 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:46 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:00 am
In Aberdeenshire Council's area you have to report potholes in the road long before they appear ;))) because it can take well over 3 years for them to be fixed - as in the case below. I am a fervent reporter of potholes, with photographs, and yesterday I had a dozen similar notifications confirming various potholes had been fixed.....
pothole.JPG
Teslas automatically detect potholes and make a note of the GPS co-ords of the thing. Next time you drive on that bit of road the suspension system automatically tensions up or slacken all four suspension units as appropriate for clobbering that particular potholes. Better than that, they pass the information on to all other Teslas so they they too can prepare for the bump.

It would be nice if Tesla would also inform the Scottish Government of such road defects on the trunk roads and the local Councils on all the other roads. There are now so many Teslas on the roads of Scotland that pretty much every road, even the most minor ones, has a Tesla go over it at least once in a week. Some clever software should be able to prioritise the required road repair using all that data. Donation of the data could be considered to be a gift to the community. It would make Elon Musk look good while fellow billionaire Jeff Bezos polishes his rocket (Bezos's rocket, that is).