Safe Booze Level

General Chit Chat
Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Safe Booze Level

#21 Post by Magnus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 pm

I drink too much. Buggad if I'm going to change.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Hydromet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I don't drink much.

I spill most of it.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by ian16th » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm
ian16th wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:06 pm
Having reached an age that I wasn't expected to reach, I plan to enjoy every day.

If 'enjoying' means having a drink, so be it.

A good wine ian16th and a perfect complement to a steak and kidney pie. Bon appetit! :)

Caco
Just after I sent my last, we had a power outage! ~X( ~X(

My pie wasn't finished cooking.

The outage went on so long that we finished the Merlot, and went to bed!

Slept well, and woke up at 23:45.

Been mid-night snacking, I assume we will have the pie tomorrow.
Cynicism improves with age

fin
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by fin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Generally speaking, people who wonder whether they have a drinking problem, probably do. Normal drinkers do not worry about such things.

If you can vividly, clearly and specifically remember the circumstances of your first drink, you may not actually be a normal drinker either, as I have read that most people cannot.

The "test" for whether you may have a problem is 90 days in a row without. They say. That, too, may have changed I suppose.

Normal drinkers do NOT have periods during their drinking when they cannot remember what happened. Blackout drinking pretty much an exclusive of the alcoholic set.

Saw a t shirt- "I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, fall down, pass out. No problem."
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by ian16th » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 pm

fin wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 pm
Saw a t shirt- "I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, fall down, pass out. No problem."
Reminds me of what I heard was an Irish definition of not being drunk.

'If by firmly grasping this Earth with both hands, I don't fall off, I'm not drunk!'
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:44 am

Still recall Italian F104 pilots having a couple of glasses of wine in the mess before an afternoon trip. Seemed normal to them.
It was oft rumoured that Air France flight crew were served a glass of wine with their in-flight meal, but maybe this was an Urban Myth ?

Then there was the Captain who would retire to the toilet - with his briefcase - just before top of descent. ( but my lips are, and were, sealed )

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:04 am

I'm one of those annoying people with a weekly consumption of zero units. I never liked the taste of the alcohol so I didn't bother trying to acquire it.

It was explained to me that most people acquire the taste because they go out with a bunch of friends in their teens and get their first pint. Take a mouthful, think "This is foul!" but keep quiet because no one else is commenting about it even if they're also thinking the same thing. Then after a few pints you get used to it.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:35 am

ian16th wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 pm
Cacophonix wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm
ian16th wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:06 pm
Having reached an age that I wasn't expected to reach, I plan to enjoy every day.

If 'enjoying' means having a drink, so be it.

A good wine ian16th and a perfect complement to a steak and kidney pie. Bon appetit! :)

Caco
Just after I sent my last, we had a power outage! ~X( ~X(

My pie wasn't finished cooking.

The outage went on so long that we finished the Merlot, and went to bed!

Slept well, and woke up at 23:45.

Been mid-night snacking, I assume we will have the pie tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that ESKOM is still ruining pies and so many other things ian16.

Caco

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Hydromet » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:30 am

Back in my 20s I think I was on the way to having a drinking problem, but, unusually, was diverted from that path when I went to PNG. Going to New Guinea is more often a path to alcoholism.
I worked in an industry where, after a long day of fieldwork, it was normal to drink until late into the night, not always stopping for a meal. If not in the field, long lunches were the norm, and very little work was done in the afternoon. Fortunately, I think at that stage, my drinking was a habit, not an addiction. When I went to PNG, there was a strict no-drinking-on-the-job policy, and as I was always either driven or driving with others direct to our homes, there was no 'school' after work. Of course, I still had a drink, but usually with family and friends. Still had the occasional heavy session, but the habit of regular big drinking had been broken.

Beef Raiser
ATPL
ATPL

#30 Post by Beef Raiser » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:26 pm

As has been mentioned above, the whole units thing is complete bolleaux. My good mate and "off the record" medic is a Harley Street chap. He has confirmed that the whole scheme was made up to satisfy a government whim. Some of his extremely well heeled patients are in perfect health while consuming enough to float a battleship. Others are mere amateur topers who are totally fecked. It's all down to the individual. He did impart some wise words to me. "Remember Beefy old chap, beer is more than just a breakfast drink".

ribrash

#31 Post by ribrash » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 pm

When I read about the supposed safe drinking levels I was shocked,so I stopped reading.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 pm

I have been in a 737 cockpit and at cruise seen a bottle of beer opened and consumed. Might have been alcohol free of course. I will not name the airline but it was between Charles de Gaulle and Rhein-Maine.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 pm
I have been in a 737 cockpit and at cruise seen a bottle of beer opened and consumed. Might have been alcohol free of course. I will not name the airline but it was between Charles de Gaulle and Rhein-Maine.
At least it wasn't An Old Fashioned!

Caco

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:05 am

Anyone who listens to health advice that comes from Government, or in the papers, wants his head looking.
Red wine is bad for you, no, it's good for you.
Go to work on an egg, eggs have too much cholesterol and so on....
21 units of alcohol is ok, but after that it's not. I've had 21 in a night and I'm still here.

It's all bollocks. Have what you want, but moderation is wise. A good glug but tempered with a little caution is ok in my book.

What would life be like without cheese, cream and booze?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 am

and chocolate and ice cream ?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Hydromet » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:18 am

All things in moderation...especially clean living.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Karearea » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:35 pm

"All things in moderation... and even that ought not to be practised to excess."
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by om15 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm

I am up against a formidable Axis of Power comprising Nurse/Child Dentist/ missus om, and have sadly yielded to a regime of less than 14 units per week. I drink beer out of habit and because I like the taste.
In order to try to change my habits I looked into alcohol free beer, taking into account the revulsion that others have described drinking this stuff it was with a heavy heart that I started looking on the internet for some.
I unenthusiastically bought a case of this https://cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.uk/c ... 05-bottles?
I have found this to be absolutely great, it is exactly like beer but without the subsequent reversing into hedges and falling over steps, it tastes great, is light and fresh and has a lovely after taste, bought on line from Adnams.
I have also tried St Peter ale from Bungay, it is very nice, not as good as Ghost Ship, rather malty with aftertaste, but still ok.
My plan is to save all 14 units for Sunday lunchtime, my local pub is a free house, usual is Doombar or London Pride, but last week I was delighted to find guest beer was Robinsons, (4.7, that should keep you quiet for a bit said the landlady), three or four pints, followed by a couple of glasses of Tesco Fierce Red with lunch and that's it for another week.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#39 Post by Smeagol » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks for that info on Adnams OM, did not know that they made a low alcohol version of Ghost Ship. Will try and get some in for the Christmas period for those who have to drive but like a beer. As it is brewed in Southwold just a few miles down the coast from me it should be available locally in Tesco's. If not I suppose I could take a drive down to Southwold and buy it direct from Adnams.
We hates Bagginses!

reddo
Capt
Capt

#40 Post by reddo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:10 pm

My AME recommended 14 units/week. The max for the UK a week is 21 units. I usually have 2 days booze free every 5-7 days. Just to give the liver a break. I am very concious of what excessive drinking can do. My father was an alcoholic and died of pancreatic cancer at 63 years old.