Questions for the ladies

General Chit Chat
Happy SLF

Questions for the ladies

#1 Post by Happy SLF » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:19 am

How come SWMBO can have the TV on with a favorite program showing but still watch and listen to something on her
iPad at the same claiming she can listen to both equally?

However even if she only has the TV or iPad thing on by themselves how come if I dare to say something I am accused
of "interrupting her viewing pleasure" as she cannot now see/hear her program? This is of course accompanied by sighs
and the rolling of eyes.

Could it possible be that the claim that women can multi task be a big fat fib? :-?

CityofFlight
CPL
CPL
Re: Questions for the ladies

#2 Post by CityofFlight » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:58 am

Simples...
Much like men, only better because we really CAN multi-task, we have selective hearing when we're engaged in the juggle of productivity. We shift attention based on the focus required for those specific tasks. And it revolves around no one inserting another thought or sound into the mix. Therefore, if another person's comments aren't part of that equation, the balance shifts and the house of cards is subject to falling.

Not rocket science! =))
Don't make excuses for nasty people. You can't put a flower in an asshole and call it a vase.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by probes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:27 am

My guess - it depends on what you say.
Sorry. o-+ ;;)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:46 am

Men's brains work on serial inputs, women's brains on parallel inputs. Men were designed to go out and do one job at a time, women were designed for multi-tasking.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by unifoxos » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:38 am

Well if the girls say we men can't multi-task, why the hell do they persist on interrupting us when we are doing something and expect us to be able to answer?
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:03 am

I'm curious about the whole gender difference multi-tasking thing; have been for a long time.
Firstly, most psychological studies aren't at all unbiased, in that the vast majority of participants are WEIRD (Western, Educated, Industrialised, Rich, Democratic). In fact, 2/3 of all studies are done on psychology undergraduates. Only 20% of these are male, and my experience of male psychology undergrads is that they are just a little weird (not the acronym).

Here's a couple of studies on multitasking that weren't done on undergrads.
http://www.biomedcentral.com/2050-7283/1/18

My discussion points, based on 11 years teaching mostly girls (and therefore working with mostly female colleagues), and about 20 years teaching several multi-task things like offshore sailing, flying and diving.
Women can switch slightly more quickly between different simple tasks than men, especially when one or more of those involves talking/listening.
When one task takes a lot of attention, such as dealing with an awkward child, or a man overboard, women are no more capable of receiving extra inputs than men.
Given a number of tasks, men tend to choose to do them separately and sequentially slightly more often than women, and studies show that this is the most efficient approach for either gender. Basically, don't multitask if you don't have to.
Women are better at following several conversations, but conversations often have a lot of extraneous detail which can be ignored. If talk is information-rich, such as a briefing, women cannot multitask any better than men.
Men are supposed to be better at complex problem solving than women, so this affects things when one of the multitasks is difficult. However, I think this is a WEIRD artifact. You are not going to get thickos volunteering for studies, and there are a lot more male thickos than women -men have a significantly greater spread of IQs in the population than women. If studies do have a self-selecting IQ cut-off, this leaves the men in the study with a higher average IQ. Also, with more high IQ numbers, complex maths problems should be easy for more men. I have not noted any difference in complex problem solving when equally clever men and women are tested.
Men are better at multitasking when several of those tasks involve spatial awareness. This is purely because men do have better spatial awareness, on average. When you put equally spatially-aware men and women together, there's no difference in my experience.
When tasking increases, if women have been talking they tend to keep talking, and performance suffers. If you shut them up, they actually perform better.

In summary, most multitasking differences are due to the nature of the tasks and known gender-differences with different types of task.
Women can do several simple tasks better than men, but not when one or more tasks becomes complex.
Men switch to single task concentration sooner than women as task (and tasking) difficulty increases, and this is a more efficient approach.

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:05 am

Men multitask by doing several things consecutively, allocating time as required to each task, and getting them right. Women screw up several tasks at the same time.

My o/h for example, can't take out the rubbish, cook dinner, pour my drink, take the car for refuelling, iron my clothes, do the washing, find the TV remote, pay the household bills, fix the wireless printer, answer the phone, and check tomororow's weather forecast all at the same time. I mean, FFS!!!!!! I'm expected to do all that.

Now here's another questionfor the ladies :
Why do you choose to talk to our back when we're in the bathroom, brushing our teeth, or in the shower, or otherwise unable to hear you? I have told my o/h many times, and this has nothing to do with age or deafness, it's been this way for ever, that if she can't see my face when she talks to me, I probably can't make sense of what she's saying.
Sorry, the penny's just dropped ............. there usually is no sense to it!Q

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by unifoxos » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:29 am

If you shut them up, they actually perform better.

Do you expect us to believe you managed to do that?
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:36 am

"Since you girls can multitask; I don't mind you talking if you talk and work as well"

Worked every time; it all went quiet after a couple of minutes, when they discovered they couldn't talk and work at something complex, and weren't about to admit (to a man) that they couldn't multitask.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Magnus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:43 am

If women could REALLY multitask, they'd be able to have sex and a headache at the same time. [-(

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:06 am

Neddy Seagoon, looking at a skeleton: "Must be a woman, the mouth's open".

(I know I'm going to get flak for that one, and I do deserve it. However I've used it several times in museums and it always got a laugh.)

Capetonian

#12 Post by Capetonian » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:15 am

Which is the female ?

Flame Lily FX
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Flame Lily FX » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:23 am

I can verify that men can multitask by having a w*nk and moving the mouse simultaneously. :)
Nasty Bitch bent over the kitchen sink!
I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 am

How did that song go, part of the chorus was

'and put another log on the fire....'
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:18 am

Men and Women aren't that different...

WOMAN'S CONSTANCY.
by John Donne

NOW thou hast loved me one whole day,
To-morrow when thou leavest, what wilt thou say ?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow ?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were ?
Or that oaths made in reverential fear
Of Love, and his wrath, any may forswear ?
Or, as true deaths true marriages untie,
So lovers' contracts, images of those,
Bind but till sleep, death's image, them unloose ?
Or, your own end to justify,
For having purposed change and falsehood, you
Can have no way but falsehood to be true ?
Vain lunatic, against these 'scapes I could
Dispute, and conquer, if I would ;
Which I abstain to do,
For by to-morrow I may think so too.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:44 am

OFSO wrote:Men's brains work on serial inputs, women's brains on parallel inputs. Men were designed to go out and do one job at a time, women were designed for multi-tasking.

You got some of that right, OFSO. But to be more accurate it would be better to write: "Men's brains work on serial inputs, women's brains on parallel universes." :D :))
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by om15 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:18 pm

We haven't discussed the quality of the multitasking, if, for example a lady may choose to incessantly talk nonsense whilst attempting to reverse a car into the side of another car in Tesco car park, then that can't really be multi tasking.
We mustn't confuse loud muddles with focussed productivity.
The various facilities in which I work have mixed workforces, I have observed that the fair sex spend more time eating biscuits and speculating about the improbable than being engaged in fruitful work.

Capetonian

#18 Post by Capetonian » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:05 pm

I have just sent this email to a friend who asked me to get her some 'smelly stuff'. I think it's pertinent here :

Email from female friend :
The Eau de Toilette is Tom Ford’s Neroli Portofino. (I forgot the Neroli part). Again not a train smash if you can’t find it…

My reply :
Hi M

Being a man, I have a sense of direction, I can fix cars and wire up plugs, I can read maps, I know my left from my right, I'm not frightened of goggas and things that go bump in the night, and I can walk down the street with my beer gut and balding head, unshaven, and think that women who look at me do so because they fancy me.

What I can't do is distinguish between shades of colour like orange and tangerine, peach and autumn blush, burgundy and deep red. I also don't pretend that I can multi-task. I don't know the difference between washing up liquid for the thing that you wash the dishes in, or the one that clothes go into after you've worn them for 2 weeks and they are thick with food stains and dog slobber. I would find it easier to fly a 747 than to programme a washing machine. I have no idea what 'delicate nylons' means as compared to 'artificial coloured fabrics' or any of the other 934 settings on the 215 different dials and buttons on the machine.

In that context, I plead blissful ignorance to pleasant smelling things that women use. To me it's all PERFUME. I have no idea of the subtle shades of difference between Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette, Essence de Parfum, Fragrance ............etc. It's all smelly stuff to me.

I googled Tom Ford Portofino and it only came up with Eau de Parfum, not Eau de Toilette. I've ordered it online from the BA shop to be delivered to C. on the flight out. If that's not the right one then I can cancel or change the order. Is there a difference?

I could source and order a 6.65 cm high lift multiple dwell 15' linear curve drop forged camshaft for a 1956 Porsche Targa more easily than pratting around with perfume related stuff. It's a GIRL's job.

I hope what I've ordered is correct. If not, can you please give me a clue!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:15 pm

I received an e-mail this week from a friend of the wife's who wanted to get her a special matching garment-type present. She asked me to go to my wife's wardrobe, find a garment which she described, lay it on the bed, photograph it, and send the picture to her. To which I replied:
- the description of the item you mention was inadequate
- my wife has some eight wardrobes full of clothes (possibly six but it seems like eight)
- the clothes are not simply on hangers (as a man would put them) but in zipped-up opaque plastic bags
- many bags contain more than one item
- there are 'many' - very many - of such bags in each wardrobe
- when I opened the first wardrobe door, everything fell out on top of me
- a friend called Hercules has some stables down at King Augeas' place which he needs a hand with, and thus
- regretfully I am unable to comply with your request.

Note the following, dear ladies, when presenting your beloved with such requests:

Driven mad by Hera, the queen of the gods, Hercules slew his six sons and his wife Megara.

Seems reasonable.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by probes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:17 pm

Cape, this is a brilliant sample of ADD. :YMALIEN: If you really remember all the specific vocabulary for the nuances, you can't possibly be that ignorant about the stuff itself!
Btw, de Parfum and de Toilette can be somewhat different - for Mlle Coco, for instance.
And, believe me, it's not all 'smelly stuff', if you have had the unluck of sitting within a mile of real musk-and-flowers (probably, for what else could be that intense?) perfume cloud! :)