The old time nostalgic motor racing thread...

General Chit Chat
Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The old time nostalgic motor racing thread...

#1 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:38 am

This month's copy of the excellent Motor Sport Magazine thumped down on the mat yesterday and I was happy to be reminded of...
The 60th anniversary of the death of Britain’s first Formula 1 world champion Mike Hawthorn is later this month, and you can watch below British Pathé news reporting on his untimely death six decades ago.

On January 22 1959 Hawthorn lost control of his Jaguar while driving on the A3 road near Guildford and died in the resultant accident. He was just 29 and it was a mere three months on from Hawthorn claiming his world title and then immediately retiring from racing. There is a special cover feature paying tribute to Hawthorn in this month’s edition of Motor Sport magazine.

The Pathé reel features evocative shots of Hawthorn just 60 hours before his fatal accident being honoured at a National Sporting Club dinner, including him being presented with a cocktail cabinet which he received with his usual wit and grace.

As well as images of the accident’s aftermath the reel also includes footage of Hawthorn spinning his Ferrari at Silverstone on the way to fifth place in the 1953 British Grand Prix, as well as of Hawthorn’s Le Mans victory in the tragic 1955 race.

The debonair, and fiercely patriotic Hawthorn was rumoured to have driven past Rob Walker's Mercedes garage in Guilford intent on provoking a race (although some claim it was Walker who provoked the contest)...
From 10 years ago - The 22nd of January will mark half a century to the day since Hawthorn's Jaguar 3.4-litre sedan - as it was then known - crashed on the A3 Guildford bypass, an accident that has been shrouded in mystery ever since.

Since 1959 speculation over the cause of death has covered driver error, mechanical failures and blackout.

Rob Walker, a friend of Hawthorns had been driving a Mercedes just ahead of his Jaguar. Walker said it was as he stopped at the A3 junction that he first noticed Hawthorn's green vehicle which went on to overtake him at a great speed.

Until he died six years ago, Walker had insisted that the two of them being on the same road that day had been entirely coincidental, dismissing suggestions that the two had been racing.

But now, according to the Daily Mail, a former mechanic at Hawthorn's Tourist Trophy garage in Farnham has suggested the Formula One champion had in fact been talked into racing his friend Walker.

Brian Taylor, the mechanic in question, maintains that a Mercedes like Walker's drove past his garage on the day in question giving a "time honoured salute" with his arm.

Taylor continues saying that Hawthorn came storming past after the Mercedes shortly before losing control on the bypass and dying from the impact of hitting a tree.
Hawthorn had no reason to be careful given that unbeknownst to the motor racing world and public, he was dying of a kidney condition.

220px-Mike_Hawthorn.jpg
220px-Mike_Hawthorn.jpg (19.77 KiB) Viewed 857 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hawthorn

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The old time nostalgic motor racing thread...

#2 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 am

Hawthorn was not universally liked. In fact Luigi Musso's girlfriend, and later Enzo Ferrari's wife, Fiamma Breschi, hated him...
Many years after the death of Mike Hawthorn, Fiamma Breschi, Luigi Musso's girlfriend at the time of his death, revealed the nature of Musso's rivalry with Hawthorn and Collins in a television documentary, The Secret Life of Enzo Ferrari. Breschi recalled that the antagonism between Musso and the two English drivers encouraged all three to take more risks: "The Englishmen (Hawthorn and Collins) had an agreement", she says. "Whichever of them won, they would share the winnings equally. It was the two of them against Luigi, who was not part of the agreement. Strength comes in numbers, and they were united against him. This antagonism was actually favourable rather than damaging to Ferrari. The faster the drivers went, the more likely it was that a Ferrari would win." Breschi related that Musso was in debt at the time of his death, and the money for winning the 1958 Grand Prix de l'ACF (traditionally the largest monetary prize of the season), was all-important to him.

After visiting the mortally-injured Musso in hospital, Breschi returned to her hotel, where she and the rest of the Ferrari team were informed by the team manager that afternoon that Musso had died. Within thirty days Collins too was dead, and the following January, Hawthorn. Breschi could not suppress a feeling of release: "I had hated them both", she said, "first because I was aware of certain facts that were not right, and also because when I came out of the hospital and went back to the hotel, I found them in the square outside the hotel, laughing and playing a game of football with an empty beer can. So when they died, too, it was liberating for me. Otherwise I would have had unpleasant feelings towards them forever. This way I could find a sense of peace."
Motor racing was a cruel and deadly sport filled with passion and not a little glamour and intrigue in those days...

fiamma+and+enzo.jpg
fiamma+and+enzo.jpg (203.74 KiB) Viewed 843 times

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Galaxie versus Lotus Cortina

Caco

fin
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by fin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 pm

DAMN!!! This is the PERFECT place to post one of my favorite clips...a race between the environmentally friendly G-Whiz car and ………..a kitchen table.

Top Gear seldom was any funnier, but you tube seems not to be able to find it. Very glad I have it saved somewhere.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:48 pm

fin wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 pm
DAMN!!! This is the PERFECT place to post one of my favorite clips...a race between the environmentally friendly G-Whiz car and ………..a kitchen table.

Top Gear seldom was any funnier, but you tube seems not to be able to find it. Very glad I have it saved somewhere.
Not the one you were thinking of fin but amusing nonetheless!

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Caco

fin
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by fin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Well shoot. MP4 showing as "invalid file extension". Best part was Jeremy's wonderful ironic comment about the "environmentally friendly" acid pouring out of the G-Whiz after the crash test.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:12 am

I liked the Sebring film.

fin
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by fin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 am

fin
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by fin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 am

Thanks to my wonderful research assistant. And yes, it is JUST as funny the tenth time I watched it! SO glad she found it for me (us).

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:07 pm

fin wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 am
Thanks to my wonderful research assistant. And yes, it is JUST as funny the tenth time I watched it! SO glad she found it for me (us).
Sir, you should post your gem on Youtube and share it with all of us! ;)))

If anybody tries to sue you for breach of copyright, simply fire your research assistant!

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Goodwoood, nice airfield and the racing so much better than the British Grand Prix, year on year these days...

Caco

fin
Capt
Capt

#13 Post by fin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:07 pm
fin wrote:

If anybody tries to sue you for breach of copyright, simply fire your research assistant!

Caco
Does the link not work for ya? SO hoping it would!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 pm

fin wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 pm
Cacophonix wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:07 pm
fin wrote:

Caco
Does the link not work for ya? SO hoping it would!
Sir or dude, that link did not work! I don't blame you. I guess, I blame your assistant. What does she look like anyway? ;)))

Caco

fin
Capt
Capt

#15 Post by fin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Mebbe this one

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/05/vid ... ews-g-wiz/

Slash, if you use skype, try fin.flipper and I think you will approve of said assistant researcher.

Let me know if this one works. The one I posted still DOES work for me here. And still makes me smile.

Capetonian

#16 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 am

I used to enjoy saloon car racing, mostly at Crystal Palace and Brands Hatch. I had a Lotus Cortina for a while, lovely car and everything was easy to work on, not like the computerised boxes nowadays.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 am
I used to enjoy saloon car racing, mostly at Crystal Palace and Brands Hatch. I had a Lotus Cortina for a while, lovely car and everything was easy to work on, not like the computerised boxes nowadays.
My Mk 1 Cortina was a be-devilled 3 bearing 1200cc beast.

It caused me no end of trouble and cost money. :-q
Cynicism improves with age

fin
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by fin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 pm

True story. When we stumbled off a plane which had made six landings crossing the states following Basic Training, this is what we encountered, in the middle of our new Duty Station.

T'would make a decent entry for where on earth, but I didn't bother to change the label.
Laguna Seca (5).JPG

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:19 pm

fin wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 pm
True story. When we stumbled off a plane which had made six landings crossing the states following Basic Training, this is what we encountered, in the middle of our new Duty Station.

T'would make a decent entry for where on earth, but I didn't bother to change the label.

Laguna Seca (5).JPG
Dry lagoon or lake. I take it you were based at Fort Ord fin?

Pike's Peak is also very evocative.

Caco

fin
Capt
Capt

#20 Post by fin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:27 am

Yup. Once upon a time. Not awful duty. Did any of the links re the table ever work??