Zimbabwe goes from bad to worse...

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: Zimbabwe goes from bad to worse...

#21 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:15 pm

I am in the slightly awkward position of having been invited to a family lunch on Sunday, it is likely that there will be some volatility anyway. I have been asked to keep my opinions about, Brexit, blacks and Zimbabwe to myself as three people there are of a 'younger' generation and are likely to hold opposing views. Well, tough.

I do not see why I should not go, nor do I see why I should not, should discussion arise, and I might even steer it that way, express my views.

What does the panel think? I will be outnumbered by 4 people who will disagree, one who doesn't know or care, and one who will agree with me but is too hen-pecked to do so openly.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.39 KiB) Viewed 568 times

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by Smeagol » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 pm

Go for it in your usual style. Eloquent but intolerant of fools and lefties.

Oh! and a little bit racist :D :D :D

I was once in a similar gathering and was accused by my 16 year old (at the time) neice of being a racist pig. I took it as a compliment!
We hates Bagginses!

Slasher

#23 Post by Slasher » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34 am

Just let everyone at the lunch rant Cape and don't say a thing until if and when they ask you directly for your opinion. That'll be the invite and nod for you to go hell for leather.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#24 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:07 am

Cape, please can I be invited. What enormous fun. I will bring a Bradford handbag then they will also understand Jungle Bunny noise.

We were planning a trip to Vic Falls in March. The manageress from the camp up river is from there and says it is OK but schools are closed. Think we may leave it until later in the year when they have all killed each other. It will be much quieter then.

The camp up river is an overlander operation they have withdrawn Zim. It is a bit of a logistical problem with trips already booked. Folk complaining of course. Well issue them with flak jackets and send them in anyway. It is a budget operation and attracts some very stupid people. Below is one group around their pool. They are only 2 kms away but have bigger birds than us.
Attachments
pool.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:19 am

I don't believe ranting about African politics is much good for anybody concerned, least of all the ranter, although the purveyors of BP medications might benefit. As usual complex situations are boiled down to simplistic answers involving race, the difference between leftist and rightist political opinions and complaints about how good it all had been under white rule!

Such stuff is as fixed as the shape of the Southern Cross I guess. Funny thing is the whites that have persisted in Africa, in the face of much adversity and through thick and think and who will prevail there are, in most cases, the least likely to rant and such people have a love and understanding for Africa and the vagaries of the indigenous Africans that transcends such drivel.

You can't be a moffie to live in Africa, believe me (although a stiff drink every now and again, may be necessary)!

Caco

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:00 am

Had lunch yesterday with our friends from France at the Russian-owned hotel as their restaurant is the only place still open, every other restaurant having closed until spring because nobody is here or has any money. (Seriously, in 25 years have never seen so few people around or so many places shut up). This proved my point about the collapse of the EU. Then the chef, who comes from Manchester, pointed out that another acquaintance was on his own on his boat next door, should he call him to join us ? - I said yes. This chap is from South Africa and fairly restrained, but offered some perceptive views of the Dark Continent and its inhabitants.

So my suggestion for quelling arty leftist pinko uninformed opinions over lunch is to get the experts in. And you could always Phone a Friend !

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Woody » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:38 am

Even the neighbours, who you would have thought have an interest in a stable Zim, didn’t want to lend money.
The new prices mean Zimbabwe now has the most expensive fuel in the world, according to GlobalPetrolPrices.com
Mr Mnangagwa has been struggling to revive the economy, which is experiencing high inflation while wages have stagnated.
It emerged on Monday that South Africa had rejected a request from Zimbabwe for an emergency loan of $1.2bn (£932m) in December.
The government had hoped the cash would help stabilise the economy and resolve fuel shortages in the country.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#28 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 am

ZA doesn't have money.

Nothing will stabilise that country except the overthrow of the vile despotic dictatorship that has run it for almost 40 years. Then it needs to be re-colonised.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by ian16th » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 am

Cape,
Easy, lay off the opinions and stick to the facts!
Cynicism improves with age

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:29 am

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 am
ZA doesn't have money.

Nothing will stabilise that country except the overthrow of the vile despotic dictatorship that has run it for almost 40 years. Then it needs to be re-colonised.
To a certain degree it is being economically re-colonised by the Chinese, as are large swaithes of Africa. In so far as any overt usurpation of political power in Zimbabwe would be seen by the majority of the population as being despotic I can see no way that Zimbabwe would be amenable to "recolonization" by the former colonizers and there is zero chance of this ever happening so one must stop ranting and blustering and look to more meaningful approaches to the problems in these countries.

Caco

Capetonian

#31 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:39 am

Yes, that's very true and is not what I meant. The Chinese will make, or are making, the doings of the 'evil white racist oppressors' look like a vicarage tea party.

Capetonian

#32 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 am

..... any overt usurpation of political power in Zimbabwe would be seen by the majority of the population as being despotic............ more meaningful approaches to the problems in these countries.
The current regime is not despotic?
Meaningful approaches, whatever they may be, have not been tried, or haven't worked.

I am reminded of the anagram that did the rounds just after the 2002 'election' in Zim where Mugape was voted in for another 4 years :
Election results = lies, lets recount.
They have to when they find out that 124% of the population voted for the winner!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:37 am

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 am
..... any overt usurpation of political power in Zimbabwe would be seen by the majority of the population as being despotic............ more meaningful approaches to the problems in these countries.
The current regime is not despotic?
Meaningful approaches, whatever they may be, have not been tried, or haven't worked.

I am reminded of the anagram that did the rounds just after the 2002 'election' in Zim where Mugape was voted in for another 4 years :
Election results = lies, lets recount.
They have to when they find out that 124% of the population voted for the winner!
Yes, of course the current lot are despotic but they are black African despots and therefore more acceptable to the population! ;))) .

Caco

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Woody » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:09 am

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 am
ZA doesn't have money.

Shouldn’t this be on the Brexit thread :ymdevil:

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#35 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 am

Always big arguments in this household. These countries ran much better when colonised. OK we were a British protectorate but there was a long and structured hand over thus we operate in parallel to British law and ideals. We have money thanks to the diamonds. We have a pretty good government but the locals are still as lazy as *****. We have millions of police who do absolutely nothing. Stealing is inbred. They steal off each other. They can't keep their little NR hands off anything. We never give a lift to a local unless a friend or staff. You will be missing your back seats. Gave a lift to some workers up to the main road as the foreman didn't have a 4x4. One bastard stole my hat. At least we still have corporal and capital punishment. After our first robbery I was invited by the tribal court to flog the bastard. Can you imagine the DM headlines 'Retired senior Royal Air Force officer former pilot to HMQ flogs a NR in tribal court in deepest dark Africa'. We just watched and listened to the screams. It was a trousers down job. Mrs Ex-Ascot showed professional interest in the dangly bits but didn't have a tape measure with her.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Woody » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Came across whilst looking for Van Hoogensraaten’s monstrosity in Sussex, not quite sure how it works, but maybe we could try it after Brexit :ymdevil:

Oops lost the link

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47361572

Here we go :D

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:15 pm
Came across whilst looking for Van Hoogensraaten’s monstrosity in Sussex, not quite sure how it works, but maybe we could try it after Brexit :ymdevil:

Oops lost the link

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47361572

Here we go :D
Nasty piece of work!

Better off smoking dagga! :ymdevil:

_90658175_01_afp_smoking.jpg
_90658175_01_afp_smoking.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 349 times

Caco

Capetonian

#38 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:16 am

https://www.zimbabwesituation.com/news/ ... Botswana’s president denies report of $600 million loan to Zimbabwe

Source: Botswana’s president denies report of $600 million loan to Zimbabwe | Reuters

President of Botswana Mokgweetsi Eric Keabetswe Masisi addresses the 73rd session of the United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in New York, U.S., September 27, 2018. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

GABORONE (Reuters) – Botswana’s president on Friday dismissed a report that the country had offered Zimbabwe a $600 million diamond-backed loan and said his government had only offered to guarantee a $100 million private credit line for Botswana companies to invest in their troubled neighbor.

Zimbabwe’s secretary in the ministry of foreign affairs was quoted in the state-owned Herald newspaper on Tuesday saying Botswana had offered to lend Zimbabwe $500 million to support its diamond industry and another $100 million for the local private firms.

“I want to clarify these reports that we are giving Zimbabwe hundreds of millions in loans. That is totally untrue,” Mokgweetsi Masisi told reporters in Gaborone, a day after visiting Zimbabwe for business and trade mission.

“We are not giving them a single loan. The only thing we gave them yesterday were medical supplies made in Botswana and supplementary feeding worth 2.1 million pula ($197,600).”
There is $100 million credit from private banks in Botswana and Zimbabwe to help Botswana private companies, Masisi added.

“What we have demanded, which we are waiting for, is a letter of guarantee from the Zimbabweans to counter our own guarantee,” he said.

Masisi also said Botswana, which is the largest producer of diamonds by value, would help Zimbabwe with its diamond trade because “it would be useful and strategic for Botswana” as it aims to become a global center of diamond trading.

Zimbabwe’s diamond sector has struggled since the government kicked out private companies from the eastern Marange fields in early 2016 after they declined to merge under the state-owned mining company.

Relations between Zimbabwe and Botswana have improved following a strained period when Botswana’s ex-President Ian Khama, who stepped down in 2018, routinely criticized Zimbabwe’s Robert Mugabe for holding on to power for too long.

A military coup in 2017 forced Mugabe to resign, ending his 37-year rule.

Capetonian

#39 Post by Capetonian » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 am

Today is the 39th anniversary of the installation of a terrorist group as the government of Zimbabwe. Some would call it 'independence' day. As millions suffer under the tyranny and misery of one of the world's most evil regimes,. The Zimbabwe Herald touts the wonderful achievements of Mugape and his henchmen.

https://www.herald.co.zw/editorial-comm ... -past/amp/
The Herald
EDITORIAL COMMENT : Let’s do away with remnants of colonial past
8 hours ago

Today Zimbabweans from all walks of life come together to celebrate the 39th Independence Day and first of its kind under the Second Republic.

While the majority of Zimbabweans will commemorate this day from the comfort of their homes, thousands will attend official celebrations in all the country’s 10 provinces.

The headline event at the National Sports Stadium in Harare, to be presided over by President Mnangagwa, will be beamed live by the national broadcaster. While Independence Day is a day of celebration, it is also a time to reflect. Where are we going as a country, a people, a nation?

As we celebrate this very important day on the Zimbabwean calendar, we thought it would be prudent to reflect on a few issues we could all address as part of the ongoing, never-ending process of liberation.

While Zimbabwe gained independence in 1980, remnants of Rhodesia can still be found in names of places, monuments, the education system, religion, the Constitution and in the underdevelopment of various parts of the country. Admittedly, efforts to change the education curricula, Constitution, names of places and land imbalances have gone a long way in mapping a new path for independent Zimbabwe.

However, a 100-year-old colonial footprint has proved to be impossible to totally wipe out.

Victoria Falls, Beitbridge, Plumtree, Banket, Norton and Birchneough Bridge easily come to mind when one thinks of commercial centres that were never meant to benefit the black majority and were named as such.

These places are either tourist attractions or places of high interaction with foreign countries and nationals. The argument has always been that changing their names now could be bad for business. However, the colonial meaning that they carry is huge.

Victoria Falls, for instance, was named by the British settlers after their monarch, Queen Victoria, despite a local Tonga name for the iconic falls, Mosi-a-Tunya. Maybe it’s time the World Wonder regained its name. Besides the mighty falls, monuments have always been a contentious issue in Zimbabwe.

One of the largest standing statues and most visited by tourists is that of David Livingstone, the British explorer who claimed to have “discovered” Victoria Falls.

This is despite that fact that some other grand statues including that of Cecil John Rhodes were removed from the city centres in Harare and Bulawayo. Where Rhodes’ statue used to stand on Main Street in Bulawayo now stands a statue of the late Vice-President Dr Joshua Nkomo along Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo Street.

Another controversial landmark is the State House in Bulawayo. After the Pioneer Column defeated King Lobengula, they burnt his capital to the ground and built the State House where the king’s palace used to stand. This was regarded as an insult by the locals, but the post-independence Governments have not rectified the situation.

At the Matopos Heritage Site, founding Ndebele king, Mzilikazi’s gravesite is near that of Cecil John Rhodes, but is unkempt and hardly attracts visitors when compared to that of Rhodes. Rhodes’ grave is not only well kept, but is also a cash cow for both Zimparks and the Department of Museums and Monuments. This irony stands as a painful reminder of the colonial past.

Other sites that are not well maintained by the Department of Museums and Monuments include the Pupu Monument in Lupane, Matabeleland North. This is an important site where King Lobengula’s army defeated and totally wiped out an entire battalion including its leader Sir Alan Wilson. The site is unmaintained, not marketed and difficult to access.

Such disregard of landmarks at the heart of local history is a continuation of the legacy of colonisation. On the issue of land, the Land Redistribution programme has largely been successful, but a number of Zimbabweans in the rural areas who rely mainly on subsistence farming are still settled in uninhabitable areas.

This has left them exposed to extreme poverty as was the original intention of the colonial regime which pushed them off their land to make way for a handful of white farmers who later became successful and rich. This economic imbalance exists up to this day as villagers are unable to access loans from banks using their land as surety.

Under-development, some scholars argue, is also one of the vestiges of colonialism. In areas like Mbare in Harare and Makokoba in Bulawayo, inhabitable conditions are the order of the day.

Kitchens and toilets are communally shared in dilapidated flats by residents and this is a clear reminder of the difficult living conditions factory workers were exposed to.

Such flats are still an eyesore as living conditions have not improved. There have been calls for councils to destroy such flats.

The issues are many and can never be fully exhausted in this editorial. However, the 39th Independence Day must allow us to ask ourselves how far we have gone in addressing racial imbalance and preserving our own history.

Bob Marley said: “None but ourselves can free our minds.” Until we free our minds, the struggle is far from over. We need to write our own history and navigate our own future under the Second Republic.

Long live Zimbabwe!
I find it somewhat Ironic to see the above highlighted paragraph since the majority of Zimbabweans who have comfortable homes have left the country or are those who have kissed Mugabe's arse.

The majority of Zimbabweans in Zimbabwe live in abject misery and poverty.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 am

Actually that is an interesting article and deserves deeper analysis.

I read 'in their homes' as not celebrating at all.

Changing colonial names is possibly contentious but is an international thing.

However when we get to statues that is possibly a party line but untended battle fields, and monumental sites is a very clear dig at the post-colonial governments. The same referring to the eyesore living conditions. Land redistribution is hardly a success if the rural imbalance still exists.

It could be taken that they are writing what the leadership expects to see with a none too subtle sub text.