Zimbabwe goes from bad to worse...

General Chit Chat
Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Zimbabwe goes from bad to worse...

#1 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm

I have not put this in the controversial forum because I guess nobody can argue the veracity of the premise above...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... s-zimbabwe
… a widespread breakdown of public order linked to food and fuel shortages in the impoverished country.

Access to the internet and social media was shut off for most of Wednesday, and armed soldiers were patrolling the streets of major cities as unidentified men were reported to be sweeping through poor neighbourhoods of Harare, the capital, and beating people “at random”.

Activists and other citizens reported a wave of abductions in and around Harare. In some poor neighbourhoods, groups of young men set up roadblocks and were stoning the few vehicles on the roads.

There has been rioting and widespread looting in the southern city of Bulawayo, where police have sealed off the centre, local residents said. Security forces in the city have beaten people in their homes, forced residents to remove barricades from streets and fired on looters, local witnesses said. At least one person has been shot dead.

The chaos came on the third and final day of a national strike called by unions in response to a steep rise in fuel prices ordered by President Emmerson Mnangagwa, a ruling party stalwart who took power when Robert Mugabe was forced to resign after a military takeover in November 2017.

Desperation for food has forced some people to venture out in major cities but virtually all shops are closed and fuel stations empty. “I went out to buy some vegetables for my sick mother and the streets were full of sullen, hostile young men. They tried to make me buy a single mango for $15,” said one Harare resident.

Police fired teargas in the capital after a crowd tried to overrun a shopping centre that opened to sell bread. Soldiers with AK-47s took charge of the long line.

The Zimbabwe Association of Doctors for Human Rights (ZADHR), a respected NGO, said it had received reports of gross human rights violations across Zimbabwe.

Its members had attended to more than 100 patients by Tuesday afternoon, some with serious injuries. One doctor said they had treated at least 30 people with gunshot wounds, and 80 cases of serious assault.

Activists working to provide care to victims of political violence said hundreds of people had been injured, but the true total was unknown because many were too frightened to seek medical treatment.

“Things are very grim. It is very confused. No one knows what is happening,” said one veteran human rights worker.

Eight people including a police officer died during clashes on Monday, according to human rights activists.

Mnangagwa is travelling in Asia and Europe, leaving the vice-president, Constantino Chiwenga, a hardliner, in charge. Chiwenga has been blamed for the shooting by soldiers of six civilians during opposition protests days after Zimbabwe’s election on 30 July last year, and for a brutal wave of repression after the results were announced in August.

It is unclear who is conducting the raids, but their methods are very similar to those of security forces during the wave of repression following the election, which was won by Mnangagwa.
It is unclear to what extent the disorder and protests over the last 48 hours have been centrally organised.

A tweet from Mnangagwa’s account on Wednesday said he was saddened by the “wanton violence and cynical destruction” during the protests. The demonstrations amounted to “terrorism” and were “well-coordinated” by the opposition, the information minister, Monica Mutsvangwa, said on state television on Tuesday night.

The crackdown has largely targeted opposition strongholds, though the leader of the ruling Zanu-PF party’s youth wing was arrested along with six others for burning buses belonging to the state-owned transport company.

Amos Chibaya, a senior official in the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), Zimbabwe’s main opposition party, said “unknown assailants” had attacked his home in Harare on Tuesday night and then again on Wednesday morning.

“They broke down the doors looking for me but I was not there. I handed myself in to police who have charged me with cooked up charges of inciting violence. They are looking for a way to bring the MDC into disrepute,” Chibaya said.

Evan Mawarire, a pastor and prominent social media activist, was taken from his home in Harare early on Wednesday morning.

Speaking to the Guardian moments before his arrest, Mawarire described armed police massing outside his house. “They are not letting anyone in or out except my lawyer,” he said.

Residents of Kuwadzana, a poor neighbourhood of Harare, said unidentified men had been going “door to door”. “They smashed our windows then burned out our car,” said Carol Maguwu, 27.
Relatives of Kinos Shoko, another resident, said the 56-year-old had been abducted at noon on Tuesday by unidentified men and returned to his home at midnight, very badly beaten and unable to hear or speak.

Om Monday, the MDC issued a call for calm and said it was “in solidarity with peaceful citizen action across the country today”.

Legacies of the 37-year rule of Mugabe include massive unemployment, huge government debts, an acute shortage of hard currency and a crumbling infrastructure.

The British minister for Africa, Harriett Baldwin, on Tuesday noted “worrying levels of violence” and urged restraint by Zimbabwe’s security forces.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... s-zimbabwe

Caco

Capetonian

Re: Zimbabwe goes from bad to worse...

#2 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 am

This may be exaggerated but there seems to be some nasty stuff going on in ZW.

http://www.thezimbabwenewslive.com/zimb ... tdown.html

48km peg to Bindura at Cheza, bridge distroyed

Nyanga road from Rusape barricaded with big stones and wood logs before Londonstore, Christmas pass Mtare closed with big stones motorists asked to go back,
Domboshava 1 soldier killed by angry mob, a military 4 ton truck with armed soldiers fleed Hatcliffe shopping center as civilians notified carrying 3 machine guns
Beitbridge road closed at Ngundu
Gweru protest hits up as civilians attacking security forces
Kadoma town is a no going area for security forces as angry mobs has declared civil war
Army Helicopters in Bulawayo
Chirundu Border closed Zambia side
Shootings at plumtree Border
3 police cars burnt in Marondera

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 am
This may be exaggerated but there seems to be some nasty stuff going on in ZW.

http://www.thezimbabwenewslive.com/zimb ... tdown.html

48km peg to Bindura at Cheza, bridge distroyed

Nyanga road from Rusape barricaded with big stones and wood logs before Londonstore, Christmas pass Mtare closed with big stones motorists asked to go back,
Domboshava 1 soldier killed by angry mob, a military 4 ton truck with armed soldiers fleed Hatcliffe shopping center as civilians notified carrying 3 machine guns
Beitbridge road closed at Ngundu
Gweru protest hits up as civilians attacking security forces
Kadoma town is a no going area for security forces as angry mobs has declared civil war
Army Helicopters in Bulawayo
Chirundu Border closed Zambia side
Shootings at plumtree Border
3 police cars burnt in Marondera

The country is in chaos, rumours of massacres. Have had WhatsApps from friends in the country saying the situation is deteriorating.

Caco

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Picking up a number of ZW radio stations on Internet Radio, either silent or transmitting JB noise. A short news bulletin from one, no mention of what's happening in ZW.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (66.89 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
Capture02.JPG
Capture02.JPG (67.19 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
Capture03.JPG
Capture03.JPG (42.41 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
- some irony!
Capture04.JPG
Queuing for fuel in HRE

17/01/2019, 12:39 - RG: Thanks . Situation is bad but, as you say, info is a tad exaggerated. Will ask S... if she's heard from brother in Bulawayo although govt is reported to have shut internet access.
17/01/2019, 12:44 - RG: sent back following from brother
17/01/2019, 12:48 - RG: What he says is BUQ quiet, shops closed so food becoming an issue. He went to check on his business, one police block. So not quite as bad as that message you sent..
In BUQ at least

Capetonian

#5 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Dear Family and Friends,
This has been one of the worst weeks in Zimbabwe for many years and has left us shocked, frightened and very uncertain about what is happening and what lies ahead for us in the coming days and weeks. I am writing this letter from Zimbabwe during a brief window in which a court order has just been granted to re-open access to the internet but not to social media sites and communication Apps. We all know this window to the world will not last.

It has been almost impossible to follow what has been going on for most of this week. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday it was mostly too dangerous for people to venture out of their homes. A three day stayaway called by the Congress of Trade Unions and other civic groups rapidly spiraled out of control on Monday: violent protests, burning vehicles and buildings, looting shops, barricaded roads and vigilante groups running riot in our towns and cities. Many people reported hearing gun shots, helicopters hovering and pillars of black smoke rising. On Monday and early on Tuesday many thousands of messages about what was going on and what people were seeing, flooded social media, along with horrific pictures and videos showing destruction, looting, injured and dead people and a massive crackdown by police and soldiers. By about 9.00 am on Tuesday morning the government ordered the internet to be shut down and then we were in the dark about what was going on, and so was the world. The silence of our phones and computers was very frightening. We had no way of knowing who was in trouble, who needed help, if it was safe to go out, if we’d be able to get back home if we did venture out; if our children at school were OK, if our friends in other parts of the country were OK.

By Wednesday we heard that over 600 people had been arrested including Pastor Evan Mawarire who led the This Flag movement in 2017. We still don’t know officially how many people have died in the past few days. We have heard that doctors handled 68 gunshot wounds and over 170 injuries. There are thousands of stories and eye witness accounts that cannot be told now.

On Thursday and Friday people have ventured out, restocked as many groceries as they can find and afford and about 50% of shops are still closed. In my home town today there are riot police and armed soldiers on the streets, outside the supermarkets that are open and at the road blocks out of town. The sight of armed soldiers in our towns is very un-nerving. There are big gaps on supermarket shelves where goods have not been restocked because delivery trucks have not been coming from Harare. Vegetables and perishable goods are in short supply, there is no bread and we have not had water for a week. During ongoing internet blackouts we are unable to use our bank cards at many outlets as they require internet connections; we cannot pay for essential services, cannot pay wages, cannot contact our families, cannot keep up with national developments.

We do not know what next week holds for us, we do not know what tomorrow holds; we do not even know if the internet will still be on by tomorrow morning. The silencing of our voices is very chilling. Please keep Zimbabwe in your hearts, thoughts and prayers in this very frightening time in our country. I will write again when I can and thank you for reading these letters and my books about life in Zimbabwe, until next time, love cathy. 18 January 2019. Copyright © Cathy Buckle 2019. www.lulu.com/spotlight/CathyBuckle2018

fin
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by fin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:45 pm

What I REALLY do not understand, even a little, is where is the OUTRAGE that existed during Apartheid, where companies divested themselves of SA companies etc etc etc etc.

This whole, sorry, racist, God-awful mess is almost forgotten by most of the media I encounter. SMH.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Because only whites can be racist oppressors of the masses.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by Smeagol » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Sadly Cape, your words are so true. Note our wonderful, impartial Beeb is totally silent on this.
We hates Bagginses!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:20 am

Capetonian wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pm
Because only whites can be racist oppressors of the masses.
Yes, here in the most stable country in Africa only whites can be racist. Funny old thing given a car accident between NR and reflective is always the reflective's fault. It has happened to us. I get beaten up by a local and nothing is happening about it. If I had beaten him up I would have been arrested and deported.

We have many Zimmy friends who work here but their families are there, mainly as the education is better there. Also their medical care is better than here. We think that it is due to our low population (1.8m) and lack of training facilities. Doctors and teachers go abroad to be trained and stay there.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:55 am

My brother in law's father was a headmaster at St George's in Harare (Salisbury) and the standard of education in Rhodesia was very good indeed and some of the schools in Zimbabwe are still very good, despite all the travails.

Caco

Capetonian

#11 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 am

Education is of no value without civilisation. Robbing Mugape was educated. It would be hard to call him civilised.

The media have given little attention to what is going on in southern and central Africa since the savages took over and began slaughtering and oppressing not just whites, who created the infrastructures and wealth, but their own people too.

There is a precedent in history, one which I have referred to before and I make no apology for doing so again because it is one of the most powerful speeches I have ever heard.

In 1978, during the terrorist war in Rhodesia, terrorist murderers shot down two civilian Air Rhodesia Viscounts, Hunyani and Inyati. 107 innocent lives were lost in the two atrocities. There were initially 18 survivors in Viscount Hunyani, 10 of whom were butchered in cold blood by ZIPRA terrorists. There were no survivors in Viscount Inyati.

Because those murdering savages were seen as 'heroes of the liberation', there was no condemnation from the west of this slaughter. We can see today the results of handing that beautiful country over to those same savages.

The Silence is Deafening
Sermon by Very Rev. John da Costa, Anglican Dean of Salisbury
Clergymen, I am frequently told, should keep out of politics. I thoroughly agree. For this reason, I will not allow politics to be preached in this cathedral. Clergy have to be reconcilers. That is no easy job. A minister of religion who has well-known political views, and allows them to come to the fore, cannot reconcile, but will alienate others, and fail in the chief part of his ministry.

For this reason, I personally am surprised at there being two clergymen in the Executive Council. It is my sincere prayer that they can act as Christ’s ambassadors of reconciliation.

Nobody who holds sacred the dignity of human life can be anything but sickened at the events attending the crash of the Viscount Hunyani. Survivors have the greatest call on the sympathy and assistance of every other human being. The horror of the crash was bad enough, but that this should have been compounded by murder of the most savage and treacherous sort leaves us stunned with disbelief and brings revulsion in the minds of anyone deserving the name "human."

This bestiality, worse than anything in recent history, stinks in the nostrils of Heaven. But are we deafened with the voice of protest from nations which call themselves "civilised"? We are not. Like men in the story of the Good Samaritan, they "pass by, on the other side."

One listens for loud condemnation by Dr. David Owen, himself a medical doctor, trained to extend mercy and help to all in need.

One listens and the silence is deafening.

One listens for loud condemnation by the President of the United States, himself a man from the Bible-Baptist belt, and again the silence is deafening.

One listens for loud condemnation by the Pope, by the Chief Rabbi, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, by all who love the name of God.

Again the silence is deafening.

I do not believe in white supremacy. I do not believe in black supremacy either. I do not believe that anyone is better than another, until he has proved himself to be so. I believe that those who govern or who seek to govern must prove themselves worthy of the trust that will be placed in them.

One looks for real leadership One finds little in the Western world: how much less in Africa?

Who is to be blamed for this ghastly episode?

Like Pontius Pilate, the world may ask "What is truth?" What is to be believed? That depends on what your prejudices will allow you to believe, for then no evidence will convince you otherwise.

So who is to be blamed?

First, those who fired the guns. Who were they? Youths and men who, as likely as not, were until recently in church schools. This is the first terrible fact. Men who went over to the other side in a few months were so indoctrinated that all they had previously learned was obliterated. How could this happen if they had been given a truly Christian education?

Second, it is common knowledge that in large parts of the world violence is paraded on TV and cinema screens as entertainment. Films about war, murder, violence, rape devil-possession and the like are "good box-office". Peak viewing time is set aside for murderers from Belfast,, Palestine, Europe, Africa and the rest, to speak before an audience of tens of millions. Thugs are given full treatment, as if deserving of respect.

Not so the victims' relations.

Who else is to be blamed?

The United Nations and their church equivalent, the WCC. I am sure they both bear blame in this. Each parade a pseudo-morality which, like all half-truths, is more dangerous than the lie direct. From the safety and comfort of New York and Geneva, high moral attitudes can safely be struck. For us in the sweat, the blood, the suffering, it is somewhat different.

Who else? The churches? Oh yes, I fear so.

For too long, too many people have been allowed to call themselves "believers" when they have been nothing of the kind. Those who believe must act. If you believe the car is going to crash, you attempt to get out. If you believe the house is on fire, you try to get help and move things quickly. If you believe a child has drunk poison, you rush him to the doctor. Belief must bring about action.

Yet churches, even in our own dangerous times, are more than half-empty all the time. We are surrounded by heathens who equate belief in God with the Western way of life. In many war areas, Africans are told to "burn their Bibles". If this call was made to us, what sort of Bibles would be handed in? Would they be dog-eared from constant use; well-thumbed and marked? Would they be pristine in their virgin loveliness, in the same box in which they were first received?

There are tens of millions of all races who call themselves believers, who never enter any house of prayer and praise. Many are folk who scream loudest against communism, yet do not themselves help to defeat these Satanic forces by means of prayer, and praise and religious witness.

For, make no mistake, if our witness were as it ought to be, men would flock to join our ranks. As it is, we are by-passed by the world, as if irrelevant.

Is anyone else to be blamed for this ghastly episode near Kariba? I think so.

Politicians throughout the world have made opportunist speeches from time to time. These add to the heap of blameworthiness, for a speech can cause wounds which may take years to heal.

The ghastliness of this ill-fated flight from Kariba will be burned upon our memories for years to come. For others, far from our borders, it is an intellectual matter, not one which affects them deeply. Here is the tragedy!

The especial danger of Marxism is its teaching that human life is cheap, expendable, of less importance than the well-being of the State. But there are men who call themselves Christians who have the same contempt for other human beings, and who treat them as being expendable.

Had we, who claim to love God, shown more real love and understanding, more patience, more trust of others, the churches would not be vilified as they are today. I have nothing but sympathy with those who are here today and whose grief we share. I have nothing but revulsion for the less-than-human act of murder which has so horrified us all.

I have nothing but amazement at the silence of so many of the political leaders of the world. I have nothing but sadness that our churches have failed so badly to practise what we preach. May God forgive us all, and may he bring all those who died so suddenly and unprepared into the light of His glorious presence.

Amen

Capetonian

A Zimbabwean's flight into exile: A voice inside me said 'Run'

#12 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:27 am

The so-called western media are not reporting on the current situation in ZW, but the South African Mail and Guardian is publishing updates and views.

Where are the likes of that loathsome slug Peter Hain, and all the others who wished this horror on Zimbabwe in the name of 'liberation'?

https://mg.co.za/article/2019-01-16-fiv ... n-zimbabwe
https://mg.co.za/article/2019-01-18-00- ... n-zimbabwe
https://mg.co.za/article/2019-01-15-soc ... n-zimbabwe

A Zimbabwean's flight into exile: A voice inside me said 'Run'

Thandekile Moyo 18 Jan 2019 00:00
Protests over economic hardships, fuelled by the 150% rise in the petrol price (above), led to security forces being deployed.

Fearing for her life, outspoken commentator Thandekile Moyo fled Zimbabwe this week with little more than the change in her pocket

My name is Thandekile Moyo. I come from Zimbabwe. I was born and bred in Zimbabwe.
In all my 34 years there, I have never known peace. I grew up in Matebeleland, where in the minds of my parents, older siblings and friends, memories of the 1980s Gukurahundi massacres were still fresh.

We inherited a profound fear of soldiers. Whenever we saw or heard a military vehicle on our way from school, we would all scurry into the bushes and hide. Hundreds of children in little maroon uniforms, all living on high alert.

I went to university in 2003, when the economy was well on its way down. My cousin and I would have to smile and “chat up” motorists who gave us lifts to campus, just so we didn’t have to pay for transport. In my final years, students would go for days without eating. We lived on a prayer.

Through all this, I noticed the lavish lifestyles of Zanu-PF children and those close to power. Their lunchboxes were always filled to the brim. They were brought to school in their Mercedes Benzes, they had cellular phones and they spoke with a twang. We called them “amasalads” — those who were privileged enough to eat salad at home. Not all amasalads were Zanu-PF kids, but most were.

This taught me about inequality. As an adult, I learned that most of it was linked to corruption. And I detest it. Because I have never known peace and because I have learnt that my struggles over the years were man-made, I deplore injustice of any kind. Injustice against each other at both the personal level and the mass injustice by the powers-that-be against their populations.

Last Saturday, Emmerson Mnangagwa, president of Zimbabwe, announced yet another injustice: a 150% increase in the fuel price. To compound the insult, he insisted that the bond note — the pseudo currency introduced by the administration of former president Robert Mugabe — was valued at 1:1 with the US dollar. This is a lie that has impoverished Zimbabweans and brought the economy to its knees, allowing the politically connected to profit while devastating the savings of ordinary people.

In response to the fuel hike, the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions called for a nationwide stayaway. I was in full support, and participated in the accompanying demonstrations in Bulawayo. The crowd was excited, yes, but peaceful. Imagine my horror when the riot police came with their batons and their teargas — a modus operandi repeated across the country.

The city’s high-density areas turned into a war zone. It felt like teargas was being thrown at everyone, everywhere. My friend’s eight-week-old niece is battling for her life after a canister of teargas was thrown into their home.

The government of Zimbabwe blamed the protests on opposition parties and civil society. I received a tip-off that my name was on the list of “troublesome internet activists”. A few days earlier I had appeared on Al Jazeera, commenting about the unjust fuel price hike: little did I know that this, along with my outspoken tweets, had made me an enemy of the state.

On Tuesday 15, at 8.46am, my messages stopped delivering. I could not access my Twitter. I switched my wi-fi on and off. No luck. I tried mobile data; still no luck. The government had shut down the internet. A voice inside me said: “Run!”

I have always known just how dangerous the Mnangagwa government is. But I have never entertained the idea of being afraid of them. I was so contemptuous of their disrespect for humanity, human rights and human life that I had always refused to be governed by just how dangerous they are. So when my instinct said run, I wasn’t sure how to respond.

I decided to take a bath and clean my room as I contemplated what to do. I slowly realised that I was preparing to leave: I was putting my house in order in preparation for an indefinite absence.

I checked whether I could get a flight anywhere. All systems at the airport were down. The only option was road travel.

Only one problem: I had no money. I had about R120. I decided to just go. I would see. I threw my laptop and a few toiletries in my handbag and went to knock on my dad’s door. What was I going to say to him?

I went to the kitchen, gulped down a few shots of gin and felt ready to face the old man. I said to him: “Look dad, the internet has been shut down. I am extremely vocal on Twitter and my instinct is telling me to go. I could be a target.”

My heart breaks as I think of how shocked he was, and how he tried to hide the shock from me. He is not on Twitter, you see.

“Do you have money?” he asked. I lied and said “yes”. He gave me everything he had in his pocket: $4 (R55). He offered to transfer money into my mobile money account, but I said: “Don’t worry Dad, I’m good.” I was afraid he’d need that money because all the shops and the banks were closed.

I couldn’t tell him where I was going. It was the only way. I called my brother to say goodbye, but didn’t reveal my plans to him. I don’t know whether they’ve told my mum yet. Part of me hopes they haven’t. It’s her 60th birthday this week; I don’t know whether she’ll be able to handle it.

So here I am, in exile and afraid. Not for myself, but for my people. Zimbabwe is imprisoned by very dangerous men.

When Mnangagwa announced the fuel hike, he was flanked by Vice-President Constantino Chiwenga and Cabinet Minister Perence Shiri. All three of them have been implicated in the Gukurahundi massacre.

Are they now, under cover of the internet blackout, unleashing similar horrors? This is my fear. Pray for Zimbabwe.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:06 pm

A write-up on the front page of the Sunday Times today. Nothing from the great defender of unbiased news, the BBC.

Capetonian

#14 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 pm

The Wail too :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lence.html

Even the Guardian :
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... SApp_Other

I have written to 'Lord Hain of Neath' asking him for his views, preferably condemnatory, of the ZANU-PF regime which he was instrumental in installing. I feel he has blood on his hands.

A couple of lip service 'tweets' from Hain :
Absolutely Tragic. Promised ‘New Zimbabwe’ ⁦⁦⁦@edmnangagwa⁩ goes up in flames & Mugabe-type repression confirming all the sceptics & proving those like me willing him a chance wrong.
This has to stop ⁦@edmnangagwa⁩ Zimbabwean activists on run as protests crackdown raises spectre of Mugabe era

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Woody » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:06 pm
A write-up on the front page of the Sunday Times today. Nothing from the great defender of unbiased news, the BBC.
Here you go ;)))

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-46938679
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#17 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:18 pm

There is an article in the Telegraph, but significantly readers' comments are not allowed as even the Telegraph won't allow people to make comments about murdering bloody savages, despots, tyrants and racists of the non-reflective type.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... overnment/

Capetonian

In Zimbabwe, history repeats itself

#18 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 am

It was always naive to think that transition in Zimbabwe after the fall of Robert Mugabe would be easy. But it was reasonable to expect the new leader, Emmerson Mnangagwa, to make good on his promises to begin the reforms needed to bring democracy and restore prosperity to what was once one of Africa’s wealthiest countries.

Tragically, the hopes that accompanied the new president’s usurpation of power and subsequent hotly disputed election appear to be receding by the day. Unrest in Zimbabwe has been dealt with in a way familiar from the bad days of Mugabe rule.

Perhaps this is hardly surprising since President Mnangagwa was the former ruler’s right-hand man, with his nickname of “The Crocodile”.

He has blamed protests on opposition MDC forces, imagining this to be a justification for a violent crackdown in which at least 12 people have so far been killed. Ominously, the Zimbabwean government says this is just “a foretaste of things to come”. Social media sites have been shut and news outlets remain strictly under state control.

There has always been a great deal of international goodwill towards Zimbabwe, which Mugabe squandered and which was available for President Mngagagwa should he break with the corrupt and despotic past. The country desperately needs a return of Western investors and of the middle-class professionals forced to flee abroad.

The immediate cause of the trouble was a sharp rise in fuel costs brought about by the appalling mismanagement of the economy, which has failed to improve despite Mugabe’s departure.

But the unhappiness runs deeper. Western countries, especially the UK as the former colonial power, need to make it clear to President Mnangagwa that he must deliver his promised reform programme or remain an international pariah, just like his old boss.
Interesting that when this article appeared earlier, reader comments were enabled and present. That option has now been closed, subsequent to some readers commenting that once upon time, Rhodesia had a white government and was well run, prosperous, and safe, and that the transition to murderous barbarism under savages was foreseeable. Saying such is not racism, it's simply fact.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 pm

It seems that the ANC government of South Africa declined to lend our northern neighbours rather a lot of money.

So they have some sense.
Cynicism improves with age

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 pm

ian16th wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 pm
It seems that the ANC government of South Africa declined to lend our northern neighbours rather a lot of money.

So they have some sense.
Incorrect assumption Ian. They didn't have anywhere near the amount requested available.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)