Do pilots make better car drivers?

General Chit Chat
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Do pilots make better car drivers?

#21 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:18 am

You should miss

Depends if the oncoming driver is on her phone or not ?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Just seen this thread. Actually I think that it is correct. I am constantly scanning mirrors and instruments. Here the driving is so dreadful you have to drive with your foot hovering over the brake pedal. Being trained as a FJ pilot have to be aware of what is happening around you. OK, everyone knows I kept getting lost so they gave me a big fast jet and a navigator now Mrs Ex-Ascot looks after me. Got home from town OK today.

My late father's PA failed her driving test for lifting her feet off the floor going across a small bridge because a rat ran across the road.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:58 pm

My late father's PA failed her driving test for lifting her feet off the floor going across a small bridge because a rat ran across the road.
We had a lot of survey classes in a park that had a road running through it. If we had a survey chain across the road when a car was coming, we'd lift it so the car could pass under. The drivers would invariably duck their heads as they went under it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:00 pm

I wonder, as well as a visual and instrument scan, do aircrew also run time/distance and fuel checks?

For instance on a 25 mile journey that took 28 minutes I know on return to do it in 25 I need to increase my speed well over 60 to hit a mile a minute.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:00 pm
I wonder, as well as a visual and instrument scan, do aircrew also run time/distance and fuel checks?

For instance on a 25 mile journey that took 28 minutes I know on return to do it in 25 I need to increase my speed well over 60 to hit a mile a minute.
67.2 miles an hour to be precise to do the same distance presuming the same traffic conditions.

Caco

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:52 pm

but do you run the maths while driving
?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:52 pm
but do you run the maths while driving
?
Usually use the 1 mile per minute at 60 miles an hour (or knots) rule when driving and flying. It makes approximate calculations very easy.

The point two was just showing off at leisure with a cup of tea in my hand! ;)))

Caco

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 am

Our club microlight/LSA cruises at 90 kts.IAS so I suggest that if that equates to something near to the groundspeed, for short-ish legs like a 40 mile leg, at 60 kts this would take 40 minutes, and at 120 kts it would take 20 minutes, so at 90 kts it is good enough to call it 30 minutes. I know, not actually correct, 26.5 minutes, but who's counting, "big numbers" wins the day in practice. ( for the written exam, get out the calculator ! )

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:17 am

Actually we navs were taught to use our fingers.

One day, as Stn Nav, I was asked if there was a rule dividers, whizz wheel and ODM, available in flt planning; there wasn't.

I asked what he wanted to know. Distance home, time, and fuel. I went, used my fingers, gave him time and distance and then fuel required. Not good enough; he went for a second opinion. He asked my deputy who had previously been the other nav on the crew. Same routine, fingers, time, fuel.

About an hour later the guy returned "bastards" he said. After using all the kit, allowed for met, cruising altitude, descent etc he found we had estimated 5 minutes either side of his and within a couple of k of his fuel calc.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:23 am

Another time on a ground Cat check I was given the Met and asked to state what height I would fly the leg at. The SOP no brain answer was 370.

Clearly that was too easy.

I looked at the Met and opted for 180. Slower TAS, higher cruise fuel burn, but saved climb fuel and higher ground speed.

This was not what the checker expected. Next day he came back, said I was right :)

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#31 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:54 pm

I went through IOT with a total nutter as a driver. One evening coming back from a weekend away, he decided to shoot a junction at about 60 mph. His theory was that, if he went fast enough, his time in the 'kill zone' was short and, therefore, the risk of an accident was lower. This was but one of his failings as a driver.

Needless to say he went on to fly singleton in the Reds before moving on to CX.

Capetonian

#32 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:10 pm

I had a friend who drove like a nutter, on the basis that the longer he spent on the road, the more likely he was to have an accident. Unfortunately the police who stopped him on the N2 didn't share his theory of accident avoidance.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:16 pm

There was at least one research survey where the Road Research Laboratory determined that the chances of being involved in a crash was directly proportional to the length of time that you spent on the road, ergo the faster you went the less time you were exposed to the risk of a collision.
They also determined that the number and severity of crashes was directly related to the speed, so to reduce incidents to zero - reduce vehicle speeds to zero . . .

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#34 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:20 pm

Then there was the C130 driver who had just flown across the pond after a heavy night out. Goodness know how may hours it takes. Got stopped by the British coppers for no brake light or summut. Then they started to walk around his car to inspect it so he walked around their cop car to inspect it. They breathalysed him and he was done.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:03 pm

......we had estimated 5 minutes either side of his and within a couple of k of his fuel calc.
Big numbers, good enough most times.