Prince and Police

General Chit Chat
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Prince and Police

#21 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am

Meanwhile, back to the 'right royal accident'. I assume there were other witnesses apart from those 'involved' and I am interested to hear how the RR ended up as it did, and where HRH was going - I assume across the junction, since he appears to have been hit on the front passenger door. Exactly how it finished on its right side facing north east with the Kia to the south west I cannot work out. Any 'accident experts' here?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by om15 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 am

This according to the New Zealand Herald, whose opinion is as good as anyone's I suppose. If he was heading east the attacking Kia would have been coming from the north, so how did the sun affect his view, plus the Kia must have been shifting to tip over something as solid as the Land Rover, unless the Land Rover driver himself was accelerating and hit the kerb so that his own momentum tipped him over.
If that young child had gone through the windscreen and then under the wheels of a passing artic the investigation might be more focussed than it appears to be at the moment.
FVL6H22MIFEKFMLHKMP6WIRNVA.jpg

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 am

Looks feasible, but we have all been misled by the 'dazzle of the sun', I feel. It is also amazing that a small Kia can exert that much force on a Range Rover to move it sideways and roll it over, and then finish up past it - the RR would have had no KE along the road if it was just pulling out. More to come yet?

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by ricardian » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 am

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:01 am

It is, after all, the Queen's highway.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:58 am

om15 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 am
This according to the New Zealand Herald, whose opinion is as good as anyone's I suppose. If he was heading east the attacking Kia would have been coming from the north, so how did the sun affect his view, plus the Kia must have been shifting to tip over something as solid as the Land Rover, unless the Land Rover driver himself was accelerating and hit the kerb so that his own momentum tipped him over.
If that young child had gone through the windscreen and then under the wheels of a passing artic the investigation might be more focussed than it appears to be at the moment.

I was wondering if the experts could calculate the speed necessary for the mass of a Kia to tip over the Rover.

As OM says, it must have been 'shifting'!
Cynicism improves with age

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:44 pm

Read a report somewhere which suggested that two wheels of the RR went into a ditch which destabilised it. Possibly already on two wheels when HRH managed to get it back onto the road.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by om15 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:46 pm

I think that if the Kia had impacted the RR at the speed required to make the slow moving RR vehicle end up in that position the Kia would have disintegrated and the occupants severely or critically injured, particularly a young child who may not have been strapped in.
One scenario that this picture conjurers up is the Kia is approaching the junction at moderate speed, the RR has failed to stop/give way and is crossing the road to exit on the other side at say 30 or 40mph, midway across the junction the driver of the RR is aware of the car on his left and instinctively steers hard right to avoid it, the Kia hits the RR but is only a glancing blow, the RR is now heading for the opposite side of the road at some speed, hits the kerb or ditch rolls onto the left hand side and does a complete role and ends up on its right hand side.
This is only fantasy of course, had this happened as I described the driver of the Range Rover would have been charged with failing to stop at a junction and causing an accident by careless driving, so there must by some other explanation.
It is odd though, Range Rovers are designed not to rollover at low speed when a light weight car gives it a slight glancing impact. Would not the sun be setting at approximately 180 degrees from the direction of travel of the Range Rover?
We may never know what happened, (particularly if threats or bribery silence the occupants of the Kia).

ribrash

#29 Post by ribrash » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Reports say it was a Freelander. Pictures show it wasn't a Range Rover.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 am

Was the KIA driver on her 'phone ? I think we should be told.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am

ribrash wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:23 pm
Reports say it was a Freelander. Pictures show it wasn't a Range Rover.
Wouldn't get Phil driving a poofter wagon. Probably the Freelander has red and yellow levers for shifting between high and low ratios, and for selecting four wheel drive, with a hole in the front bumper to insert a starting handle. :D
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 am

One of the occupants in the Kia is still hanging onto to her 15 minutes of fame.

Just looked at that graphic in OM15's post. I'm also wondering if PP was heading east, at that time of day how was he dazzled by the sun? Has his motor got a very large rear view mirror?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Capetonian

#33 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 am

There was a graphic in one of the papers, I don't have time to look for it now, but it seems he was heading west, it looked like about 250-260'.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Have a look at the photo in this BBC report.

It's still daylight with the sun low on the horizon.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Has anybody got the relevant METAR, or a hideously complicated diagram showing the suspension assembly of the Duke's car?

What about GLOC (i.e. geriatric loss of consciousness)? Come on people this is serious!

=))

Caco

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Boac » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:46 pm

We have also the need to rule out 'terrorism' (- and I don't mean HRH...)
There is so much confusion about who was going where and how. See #'22 from 'om'.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by om15 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:25 pm

We have also the need to rule out 'terrorism'
and Brexit.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 am
There was a graphic in one of the papers, I don't have time to look for it now, but it seems he was heading west, it looked like about 250-260'.
Print the graphic right way up.

I agree with your original thought so I looked at a sat picture. Sure enough Sandringham is to the east and he was heading 080 or so. There are trees shown on both sides and the main road is as shown on the NZ graphic. This makes the sun rumour questionable. As the Royal Household rarely issues a statement much of what we read was probably media constructed. PP is far too astute to say anything.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Old bloke, or even more correctly, humans have a car accident. Shock, horror! The amount of interest in this, happily, non-event is truly preposterous!

Caco

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by 1DC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:22 pm

I read shortly after the incident that the daughter, who was driving, said that the Duke was very concerned about her ,her child and her mothers welfare and told her that he had behaved like a fool.
I note that she has said nothing since but mother seems to have been got at and is giving the press a headline a day. She will be prompted by the reporter who will get the headline he/she wants out of her and then ensure that she gets a payment. It will stop when the press are fed up..
The way i understood the direction of travel, the Duke was trying to cross the road back to the Sandringham Estate and the car was coming from the West, his right, so it is quite likely that he had the Sun in his eyes.