Prince and Police

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Prince and Police

#41 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:40 pm

I think PP was travelling East and the Kia was travelling South.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by llondel » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm

The "how far down the road did they come to rest" may well be a determining factor. If the Kia was going like a bat out of hell then it's quite possible that he wasn't expecting it to get to him that fast. Forensics are pretty good at determining such things now, based on how big the dents are and other factors. Comments in the press seem to suggest that the road is known for excessive speed and that it should have a lower limit, so perhaps now that will happen.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#43 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:54 am

Sometime later.....note the bit about imagine and the sun......which is as tacit as it gets. Maybe Winston Wolfe appeared to offer his advice....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47017855

Sisemen

#44 Post by Sisemen » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:03 am

And that should be an end to it. Suspect the Duke told the insurers to ‘bugger orf’ when he was instructed to say nothing. I guess that only the permanently outraged class warriors will keep this going.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Hydromet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 am

As someone wrote somewhere...Stop the presses! Old man has car accident with another car carrying two women and a child. No one seriously hurt.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:46 am

Still cannot resolve this 'sun in my eyes' bit! Why not just say it was right Royal cock-up?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:03 pm

If, as seems likely, the Royals 'self insure' (it used to be a deposit of £250,000 was required - it's now £500,000), what arrangements are there for claims from others?
Of course, if the Royal vehicles are, in fact, loan vehicles from the manufacturer, does the manufacturer insure them?

Sisemen

#48 Post by Sisemen » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:28 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:46 am
Still cannot resolve this 'sun in my eyes' bit! Why not just say it was right Royal cock-up?
QED

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:33 pm

Nah! Lock 'im up!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:33 pm
Nah! Lock 'im up!
Yea, in one of HM Prisons!

Wot's the HM bit stand for?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Wot about the Tower? That's where HMQs normally stick troublemakers. Orf wiv 'is 'ed, they cried.

Capetonian

#52 Post by Capetonian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:52 am

He has voluntarily given up his licence, and although sad for him, it is probably the right thing to do. Of course he can still drive round the not inconsiderable Royal Estates to his heart's content, but he won't be able to pop down to the local pub or newsagent!

What a lovely and movingly heartfelt comment from a Telegraph reader. I couldn't agree more with this sentiment :
This will sadden the heart of an old man trying to retain his independence. On behalf of those of us who are heading down the same narrowing track, commiserations; and thank you Prince, for your unsung part in helping us maintain political stability for the last 70 years.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by OFSO » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:55 am

Agree. We all try to hang on to the things we've done all our lives. There's a short story by Stephen King, "Everything you love will be taken from you." So true. Anyway the D of E has had a good innings, wish him the best.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#54 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:16 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:52 am
He has voluntarily given up his licence, and although sad for him, it is probably the right thing to do. Of course he can still drive round the not inconsiderable Royal Estates to his heart's content, but he won't be able to pop down to the local pub or newsagent!

What a lovely and movingly heartfelt comment from a Telegraph reader. I couldn't agree more with this sentiment :
This will sadden the heart of an old man trying to retain his independence. On behalf of those of us who are heading down the same narrowing track, commiserations; and thank you Prince, for your unsung part in helping us maintain political stability for the last 70 years.
Actually, vomit inducing would be far more apt.

The BBC duly gave this non story maximum coverage last night, which included trotting out the mandatory "royhalty expart ", albeit a decidedly younger one than the usual derivative of the species. They stopped short, just, of headlines along the lines of " 97 yr old man gives up driving licence ! " Prince Philips driving licence to lie in state for 5 days ! " millions expected to sign book of condolences !".

However, the inconvenient fact still remains that, he was involved in a serious RTA when he really shouldn't have been driving on a public road. Please don't even remotely suggest, that, at 97, he still had the capability to assimilate all the factors involved in order to drive......safely. Not that he actually needed to be driving in the first place given he's spent a considerable amount of time being chauffeured around.

What happened next with the CPS will be interesting but it will come as no surprise, if, after, ahem, "due consideration " the decision not to prosecute being "not in the public interest " emerges.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:39 am

Please don't even remotely suggest, that, at 97, he still had the capability to assimilate all the factors involved in order to drive......safely
Unfortunately I know I won't be around to remind you of that statement when you (may) reach 97 and vigorously defend your right to continue driving.

Everyone makes mistakes, some younger drivers, with less experience, more so than some older ones.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Boac » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 am

I suspect the truth of the matter is that it was 'suggested' he volunteer his licence to avoid being banned. This way decorum is maintained and there will be no prosecution.

As long as the other parties are sufficiently compensated and hopefully a lesson has been learned I reckon we draw a Royal veil over this.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:55 am

BOAC, I think that has been done before. Less expense and embarrassment all round.

Regarding cognitive impairment, this can impact at much younger ages with various ailments kicking in. Add in the modern curse of drugs, legal and illegal.

The other impairment much less mentioned is mobility, especially neck and upper body. Some road junctions have such acute junctions that you need to check round to 5 o'clock for main road traffic. Motorway slip roads, especially short slips can be especially dangerous.

admin
Chief Engineer

#58 Post by admin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 am

Krystal n Chips wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:16 am
K & C be wary, be very wary. A significant number of the members here are avowed monarchists, having sworn an oath of allegiance in their younger days. Including yours truly - Admin.

I am a staunch monarchists. I do not profess to like all of the members of the House of Windsor, but the more important ones, well yes Sir. HRH PP a brilliant guy who deserves every consideration. So leave him alone. Thank You.

Admin/Alison

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#59 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:41 am

Thank you Alison. For the record he was a brilliant pilot. Put me down safely many times, didn't even spill my G&T.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#60 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:00 am

admin wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 am
Krystal n Chips wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:16 am
K & C be wary, be very wary. A significant number of the members here are avowed monarchists, having sworn an oath of allegiance in their younger days. Including yours truly - Admin.

I am a staunch monarchists. I do not profess to like all of the members of the House of Windsor, but the more important ones, well yes Sir. HRH PP a brilliant guy who deserves every consideration. So leave him alone. Thank You.

Admin/Alison
I note your advisory comments in this respect. Thank you.

However, I am not an avowed monarchist and never have been or will be. As I have said before, on another thread, it's not the family, as such, that is the problem That said, I admit I have no time for the era involved. It's the fawning adulation and sycophants that are the problem plus the disruption that ensues whenever they visit somewhere.

Equally, I will repeat that, I see William and Harry as being contemporary and far more acceptable in their roles and representation of the family