Chief Pilot

Re: Earthquakes

#21 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 am

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by llondel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Around here, anything less than a 5 is hardly worth talking about. We notice the little 2s and 3s that happen a mile or so from home but they're more noted in passing. The strongest I've felt was a 4.4, but that was in the same place as the little ones but I was at work 15 miles away, so I only felt a bump in the chair and my monitor wobbled. The 3.4 I felt at home was subjectively more of a quake.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Living in the Philippines, one becomes used to the odd tremor or small quake but I do recall three that may be of interest:

1. Athens, SEP 1999 while having a glass of something at a table on a pavement was hit by 6 magnitude quake. Things shook and shakes and, besides being a bit scared and shooked up, my glass ran off the table and shattered along with a few tiles from various rooftops. It seemed to last a great deal longer than recorded. Around 150 killed as I recall.

2. On this occasion I was at home in our house in the Philippines and lying up with a bad tum. Feeling a possible bowel movement coming on, I went to the en-suite khazi, dropped my pants and let out an enormous fart. At that precise moment a tremor hit that was strong enough to shake the building, set the glass chandeliers rattling and knock a few bottles off a shelf in the kitchen. I was confused for a while as to the cause of the ruckus

3. Years ago I found myself sleeping in an issue sleeping bag on a camp bed inside a hangar at an Italian army base near Pordenone in NE Italy. There was a quake in the mountains to the North which shook the hangar like a mad thing. The noise of the sheet metal banging on the steel frame of the hangar structure was indescribable.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:06 pm

larsssnowpharter wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 pm
Living in the Philippines, one becomes used to the odd tremor or small quake but I do recall three that may be of interest:

1. Athens, SEP 1999 while having a glass of something at a table on a pavement was hit by 6 magnitude quake. Things shook and shakes and, besides being a bit scared and shooked up, my glass ran off the table and shattered along with a few tiles from various rooftops. It seemed to last a great deal longer than recorded. Around 150 killed as I recall.
That day you got "two for one" since a second followed the first just second apart.