There's a crack in my brick..

General Chit Chat
Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

There's a crack in my brick..

#1 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Dear Liza a crack...

Interesting video showing cracks in the graphite bricks that moderate the Hunterston B nuclear reactor in Scotland.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 14756.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunters ... er_station

In October 2014 it was reported that cracks had been found in one of the reactors at the plant following routine inspections which began in August 2014. Two of about 3,000 graphite bricks in the core of reactor four at Hunterston were affected. The plant's operator, EDF Energy, said the cracking was predicted to occur as the station ages and said that the issue would not affect the safe operation of the reactor.

In October 2016 it was announced that super-articulated control rods would be installed in the reactor because of concerns about the stability of the reactors' graphite cores. The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) had raised concerns over the number of fractures in keyways that lock together the graphite bricks in the core. An unusual event, such as an earthquake, might destabilise the graphite so that ordinary control rods that shut the reactor down could not be inserted. Super-articulated control rods should be insertable even into a destabilised core.[

In early 2018 a higher rate of new keyway root cracks than modelled was observed in Reactor 3 during a scheduled outage, and EDF announced in May 2018 "While Hunterston B Reactor 3 could return to operation from the current outage, it will remain offline while the company works with the regulator to ensure that the longer term safety case reflects the findings of the recent inspections and includes the results obtained from other analysis and modelling."[15][16]

In December 2018 EDF pushed back their estimated return to service date to March 2019 for Reactor 4 and April 2019 for Reactor 3 at the end of April, to allow for further modelling work and a new seismic analysis.[17] In March 2019 pictures of the cracking was released with EDF stating that it intended to seek permission from the ONR to restart reactor 3 by raising the operational limit for the number of cracks. About 370 hairline fractures have been discovered, in about 10% of the graphite bricks in the reactor core, which was above the operational limit of 350 fractures. EDF intends to present a new safety case for an operational limit of 700 cracks.
Caco

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: There's a crack in my brick..

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Better than a brick in yer crack . . .

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:21 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:19 pm
Better than a brick in yer crack . . .
;)))

Caco

Flintstone
Snr FO
Snr FO

#4 Post by Flintstone » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:45 pm

Ohhhhh. Brick.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Caco

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:56 pm

I assume this reactor is routinely controlled by pushing graphite rods in and out, and in an emergency shut down by SCRAMMING. Anything which impedes either of these processes, such as physical blockage by fallen bricks, would have very unpleasant consequences to say the least...

OK just read the article, I was right. Guess the 'articulated' rods go around the blockages. Maybe.

ribrash

#7 Post by ribrash » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Cracks in plane windows are not good either.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:06 am

ribrash wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:21 pm
Cracks in plane windows are not good either.
A very nasty looking crack indeed! =))

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:56 pm
I assume this reactor is routinely controlled by pushing graphite rods in and out, and in an emergency shut down by SCRAMMING. Anything which impedes either of these processes, such as physical blockage by fallen bricks, would have very unpleasant consequences to say the least...

OK just read the article, I was right. Guess the 'articulated' rods go around the blockages. Maybe.
Yes you are quite correct.

Apparently they are worried that in a worst case scenario one of the bricks might disintegrate due to vibratory excitation and result in a reactor excursion. The cracks also screw with the know tolerances associated with the Wigner Effect which was a contributing factor in Britain"s greatest radiological disaster to date!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire

Caco

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by unifoxos » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:20 am

controlled by pushing graphite rods in and out

I think the rods are boron.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:29 am

unifoxos wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:20 am
controlled by pushing graphite rods in and out

I think the rods are boron.
I believe you are correct. The core itself is moderated by 3000 graphite blocks around the fuel channels.

The graphite core of each of the reactors is made up of around 6000 graphite bricks - 3000 of these are the graphite bricks containing fuel channels - which are all connected together
http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS-Ne ... 05184.html
AGR reactors feature a graphite moderator and are cooled using carbon dioxide. The graphite bricks cannot be replaced or repaired during the operating life of the reactors. However, radiation damage changes the shape and size of the crystallites that comprise graphite, a process known as dimensional change, which in turn degrades the mechanical properties of the graphite. For continued operation, it is therefore necessary to demonstrate that the graphite can still perform its intended role irrespective of the degradation.
Graphite_Keying_Structure.png
Graphite_Keying_Structure.png (60.98 KiB) Viewed 515 times

Caco