The internet, 'live streaming' and a puzzle or three

General Chit Chat
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The internet, 'live streaming' and a puzzle or three

#1 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:20 am

The Sunday Quiz

I am totally ignorant of how a live filming of the New Zealand atrocity is 'seen' by people. If I wanted to 'live-stream' my mowing my lawn, how do I place it on the internet so that it is seen by lots of people? As far as I know there is no way to 'broadcast' onto every Facebook user's page as it happens. Equally puzzling is the apparent torrent of re-distribution of the action. What mental disease causes people to say "Hey, Bud - you've GOT to watch this link - there's a guy shooting and killing xxxx in yyyy?

Am I correct to assume that initially the first 'watchers' would have been on some extremist website as a matter of routine, or even more frightening, because they knew it was about to happen? This then brings the dilemma of how is this controlled/moderated? Unless Facebook had been forewarned about the NZ shooting, I cannot see how they could be expected to react by shutting it down quickly. Perhaps the answer is to stop all live streaming - but then do we allow news agencies to continue? Do we actually NEED 'it's happening right now folks' footage? Could we all wait 10 minutes or so?

This will probably widen into the whole issue of internet 'anonymity' - is it time to restrict this?

SUPPLEMENTARY: Do 'normal' folk actually need to encrypt messages between them?

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Re: The internet, 'live streaming' and a puzzle or three

#2 Post by unifoxos » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm

SUPPLEMENTARY: Do 'normal' folk actually need to encrypt messages between them?

Yes, if they don't want anybody else to read them. Of course the fact that they are encrypted would probably trigger a security authority to try to decrypt them, or to put additional surveillance on those using the cyphering.

So a code would be more secure, with the key passed on by hand, not in an electronic form.

Basic secret agent tradecraft 101
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:37 pm

unifoxos wrote:Yes, if they don't want anybody else to read them
- hence the use of the word 'normal'!

1) Who would be likely to read these messages?
2) What is it in them that is so secret?

I suspect only paranoia or some definitely dubious business/abnormality would require such action.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:15 pm

BOAC,
Am I correct to assume that initially the first 'watchers' would have been on some extremist website as a matter of routine, or even more frightening, because they knew it was about to happen?
Yes on both counts. Without going back to the papers, I believe he gave 30 minutes notice on at least one black site. A site I think they said was linked to paedophilia etc. From there it was tweeted and so to facebook. I think it was viewed some 250,000 times in 10 hours before it was taken down.

Calls to YT and FB to better moderate their sites so they can take things like that down. While I agree, and there are many other things best excluded, it does lead to censorship.

One of my university modules was on use of media in the run-up to WW2 until 1945. In UK the BBFC rated all films but newsreels were not similarly censored. Pathe etc did self censorship in the belief that if they did not the Government would step in and do so.

Probably better they do it themselves.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:04 pm

I am a normal person, more or less. But just as I resent my mail turning up a month late having been opened and resealed, I also resent people reading my electronic communications. That's why we encrypt stuff. As far as Farcebook is concerned or the Giggle search engine, or Twitty or Instagram, never use 'em.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by boing » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:54 pm

I use secure e-mail, not so much to protect my own e-mails but to protect my contacts (My contact list is automatically encrypted by the e-mail programme). At the very least you do not need your contact list used as an address supply to scammers and DOS'ers.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:13 pm

I get cheesed off when people send a broadcast message and don't use group CC lists.

Once got one that revealed lots of .gov.UK addressees who would not have wanted others to know they were using their work addresses.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:03 pm

OFSO - who do you think is reading your emails?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Hydromet » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:54 pm

Even if you're doing or discussing nothing presently illegal, and you trust the present government, do you trust the next one? Something you say now could come back to haunt you after the next election...or the one after.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm

I'm not going to tell you. But I know where the inferior tape used to reseal my mail is manufactured.

Many years ago a reader wrote to the Playboy Advisor "How can I tell if the FBI/CIA are tapping my phone?"

Playboy's answer was "Write and ask them. After they receive your letter, they will be."

Capetonian

#11 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Mrs. O'Riley and Mrs. Murphy were having a bit of girlie talk over the phone, from their respective homes in Co. Limerick.

As the conversation reaches a delicate point, Mrs. O'Riley says :
"Oi doin't tink we should be discussin' dis on de phone. Oi'm sure dose operators listen in."

An indignant third voice comes over the line :
"Dat we don't ....."