The 400 Ronin. An open letter to Alison!

General Chit Chat
Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The 400 Ronin. An open letter to Alison!

#1 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:28 am

A polite enquiry.JPG

Capetonian

Re: The 400 Ronin. An open letter to Alison!

#2 Post by Capetonian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 am

I think and hope that this is a technical problem and not as you appear to suspect.

I have tried posting a chunk of test and get this :
Your message contains 3499 characters.
The maximum number of allowed characters is 400.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:46 am

I did the same in the Brexit thread. 99.9% coding error.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:49 am

While on errors, without doing anything and after my Brexit post line I was told another message had been uploaded before mine.

In fact that message was mine. Had this double send a few times.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:51 am

Just happened again. Long delay in my message appearing tgeb:

At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

Then it appears

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:52 am

I am glad that my paranoia was getting in the way of sense as Alison seemed to be concerned about space utilisation in a PM exchange we had a week ago. I am happy to stump up some funding to help out if this issue is a cost based one but hope it is simply a simple slip of the configuration finger and I will happily recant and apologise publicly for my doubts in the note above.

Caco

Capetonian

#7 Post by Capetonian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 am

I am quite happy to stump up some funding to help out if this issue is a cost based one
Ditto, but I think it's an error.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Woody » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:11 am

If it applies to K&C , can we keep it =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

admin
Chief Engineer

#9 Post by admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:13 am

At the request of Stoneboat I increased the character count per posting to enable him to post his regular quizzes. Which I believe take significant effort on his part to compile. I also believe his quizzes are greatly appreciated by all who chose to take part. Thank you Stoney.

Caco, if you choose to cut and paste huge articles from other sites, which I suspect never get read by our members, then I reserve the right cut them back. Even more so if in the process you highjack an ongoing conversation to which your huge copied posting has no relevance. If it was original thought perhaps. Your actual cut and pasted article was in excess of five thousand characters.

Previously we have crossed swords in regard to you quoting whole postings, when you are just referring to a single sentence or phrase. We are not reverting to TOP behaviour just expecting a modicum of etiquette. Not acceptable to quote five or six paragraphs then just add "I agree".

A few weeks ago you threw a wobbly by changing your email address to a fictitious domain name and thus disabling your account. Eradicating the ensuing error messages logged by the email software kept me busy for many hours. Thank you. The email software continuously attempts to send to your fictitious address for weeks at hourly intervals. And each error message had to be individually removed.

Caco, my immediate response to your full copy of an article was to reduce the character count to 400. It has now been set to 2000 characters. Sorry if it caused others distress, Not Intended.

Admin
PS it's nothing to do with cost, but everything to do with acceptable etiquette.
PPS. I have left the thread open in the hope members may care to comment.

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 am

If it applies to K&C , can we keep it =))
YES

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:34 am

Alison

As you know, I often link to other sites and have done so from day one here, particularly on technical subjects or even cyclones in Mozambique, and you have not demurred in the past, but, as I suspected, you now find this somehow offensive to your recent unwritten ettiquette rule, I shall abide by that by simply politely leaving. No doubt the stuff posted on the Jeff 'Hawke' thread also falls foul of your sentiment and I suggest that what you propose is simply censorship by another name but it is your site so your rules I guess.

Anyway thank you for the fun while it lasted and I wish you and the site the best. I would be grateful if you could simply remove my account and replace the name Caco with Anonymous on the existing posts as you have kindly done with one or two others who have requested to leave in the past.

Caco

admin
Chief Engineer

#12 Post by admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:40 am

Caco that will be the fifth time you have left in the last twelve months. Each time has caused me some drama in resetting your account.

When the site first got going you used to change your username monthly, often resigning and then signing up again under a new username. I've had more grief from you Caco, than from the whole of the rest of the membership combined.

Admin

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:45 am

Alison

You have my word as a gentleman that I shall not be returning this time in any shape or form and once again politiely request that you remove my account and mark the existing Caco posts as anonymous.

Caco

admin
Chief Engineer

#14 Post by admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:51 am

I suspect if I did anonymous would object.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:52 am

Awww shame Caco....I've no Freaking idea of who you were at all....but I'll miss you...never linked to all those music vids you posted...too many..but I've probably been guilty of the same..
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 am

admin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:51 am
I suspect if I did anonymous would object.
I suggest you educate yourself on the legislation relating to holding personal information ref. GPDR (see attached link as a simple starter ) and think carefully about refusing to delete my account if that is in fact what you are doing.

It would be an interesting test case methinks, particularly as the account is linked to my personal e-mail address etc.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic ... al-data_en

Caco

Slasher

#17 Post by Slasher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:51 am

Caco. You know I'm a good mate of yours and vv. We go back a long way and we've seen and done it all here and TOP. Normally I would steer clear of any barney you have here, but after looking at it all pragmatically I have to side with the boss here.

I see where you're coming from, but it's not hard to reduce the quote of a fellow member to that which is relevant to what you want to say. Also, making a quote from an article of which a URL is posted should really be limited to that of a highlight. For example in the NBO 737 MAX thread I recently made a post containing two URLS, and highlighted only one line from the second article to emphasise it was worth clicking on and reading.

If you do a search on my posts for the past 12 months you'll see i practice what I preach. Also in some rare instances I simply quote and delete the poster's writing entirely in order to get a response from the poster from my reply, thus making a red ball next to the Notifications thingy. There are some threads where one makes a post and doesn't go back there afterwards.

In closing please don't leave Caco. Just stay here ol' buddy as this place is far too boring sometimes without you. I'm fairly busy with all this sim stuff but I'll try to Skype you soon at a later date. :)

DBx
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by DBx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

Caco, if you feel slighted for some reason why not just stop posting and go away? Seen this on other sites, why do people feel it necessary to announce that they are in a huff and no longer going to take part?

admin
Chief Engineer

#19 Post by admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 am
I suggest you educate yourself on the legislation relating to holding personal information ref. GPDR (see attached link as a simple starter ) and think carefully about refusing to delete my account if that is in fact what you are doing.
We've gone through all of this before Caco. At least a couple of times. As the beneficial owner of the site I am resident in Australia. The domain names are registered in Australia, and the site is hosted in Australia. So you can stick the EU sh!t up your arse. None of it applies. Sad I know.

I've changed your password so you can't spread alarm and despondency amongst the troops. Previously I've reset it when requested. Happy to do so again when you are feeling better. As for linking to other sites, never been a problem. Quoting it verbatim when it's massive not acceptable.

Admin

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#20 Post by Smeagol » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 pm

I would echo Capt. Slash above in that, in general, Caco leaving would be sad as many of his comments are interesting and stimulate reasonable discussion but have to agree with Alison's reasoning. This site is hers so she must administer it as she sees fit.
We hates Bagginses!