What book are you currently reading?

General Chit Chat
probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: What book are you currently reading?

#21 Post by probes » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:28 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:the question is are you now reading it in your language or not?

well, a bit of both :)

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by limeygal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:44 am

Probes-what is your native tongue? I don't believe you have ever mentioned that.

I am reading "West with the Night" by Beryl Markham, again. Love the descriptions of Africa. Why is it a feeling of nostalgia hits me whenever I read about Kenya and I have never been? Some evolutionary throwback thing maybe

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:16 pm

fin wrote:I just ran through the entire 19 or 20 Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. For the third time. And all of them on-line. Free.

Before that, about 45 books by John D MacDonald.

And a bunch by Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy, Wilbur Smith, Frederick Forsyth, Stephen Hunter and Robert Ludlum. A few of these were recommendations made on an aviation website for largely British professional pilots.

Would be remiss if I didn't mention A Perfect Code by an author known to many here.

And currently reading in Kindle also, Skyfaring.

I have pretty well given up on the teevee!

Have you read the new 'Jack Reacher' book by Lee Child which was released last month? If not, you should! It's named 'Make Me'. And I can just hear Jack Reacher saying that to someone" Yeah. Make me, asshole."
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by Octopussy2 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:27 pm

I'm reading Stella Rimington's autobiography (found in the library). Before that, the last Terry Prachett. Before that, "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt and before that "Zone of Interest" by Martin Amis - the last 2 are both utterly brilliant and highly recommended.

I've got very eclectic reading tastes. I even read a Lee Child book. Once :p

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:31 pm

Octopussy2 wrote:I'm reading Stella Rimington's autobiography (found in the library). Before that, the last Terry Prachett. Before that, "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt and before that "Zone of Interest" by Martin Amis - the last 2 are both utterly brilliant and highly recommended.

I've got very eclectic reading tastes. I even read a Lee Child book. Once :p

You read a Lee Child book, ostensibly concerning Mr. Jack Reacher, but once? :-o Shame on you. Jack Reacher is comin' to get ya. :D :D

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by om15 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:45 pm

Ex-A , good thread to start,
I have just finished "The American Boy" by Andrew Taylor, this is an imaginative work of fiction, half novel, half thriller about the boyhood of Edgar Alan Poe in Victorian London, hight recommended.
Andrew Taylor is a little known author from the Forest of Dean, his books are varied and extremely well written. I recommend the Lydmouth Series, set in post war Forest of Dean, is evocative of a time where neighbours refer to each other as "Mr" or "Mrs" and light cigarettes between courses at dinner, a set of thrillers focused on murders, adultery, and total subservience to the village squire.
Some of his other work has been televised, the Bergerac series for example.

A full list of his books here, I am about 90% through the list, will read the remaining over the next 6 months or so.

http://www.lydmouth.co.uk/

I tend to alternate between types of books, thrillers, military, historical and so on, next on the list is Gallipoli by Alan Morehead, after that the last in the CJ Sanson Shardlake series, another highly recommended series.

henry crun

#27 Post by henry crun » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:33 pm

Am re-reading Boogie up the River by Mark Wallington, published on the centenary of Jerome K Jerome’s Three Men in a Boat. It is a rowing trip all the way to the source of the Thames, with the author and his repulsively endearing dog Boogie, mostly unaccompanied by his terribly busy girlfriend Jennifer. Excellent writing, lots of humour, good descriptions of the river, the towns, the history, and the wildlife, with special reference to the belligerent Great Crested Grebes. Do read it if you get the chance.

I read on Kindle, books come down the same minute you buy them. When it is on charge I read on my chromebook using the free app. You can read on almost anything, though I find an e-ink device better for armchair reading and the battery life of the passive screen is better.

Bull at a Gate
FO
FO

#28 Post by Bull at a Gate » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks Henry, just downloaded Boogie up the River.

Isn't the internet wonderful? I read Henry's recommendation and bought the book while in bed next to a very attractive woman (Mrs Bull of course!). But isn't old age terrible? If I were younger it's not book reading I would be looking forward to!

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Karearea » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:14 am

"Bunga-Bunga" by Stephen King-Hall (1932) - very amusing.

Also, "The Queen of the Air" by John Ruskin, a 1911 edition with gilt edges to the top of the pages.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

fin
Capt
Capt

#30 Post by fin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:23 am

rgbrock1 wrote:
fin wrote:I

Have you read the new 'Jack Reacher' book by Lee Child which was released last month? If not, you should! It's named 'Make Me'. And I can just hear Jack Reacher saying that to someone" Yeah. Make me, asshole."

Yup. It is the only one (except Personal which I am reading now) that I have not (yet) re-read.

I even went on youtube and found Lee Child at a book club, discussing his feelings about Tom Cruise being cast in the role of a 6'5" Army Major MP.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

MTOW
Capt
Capt

#31 Post by MTOW » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:57 am

'The Great War' by Les Carlyon. A surprisingly easy read. But the book is a door stopper.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#32 Post by reddo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:41 am

Ben Collins book. He used to be the Stig on Top Gear. (White Stig)

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Tall Bird » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:55 am

henry crun wrote:Am re-reading Boogie up the River by Mark Wallington, published on the centenary of Jerome K Jerome’s Three Men in a Boat. It is a rowing trip all the way to the source of the Thames, with the author and his repulsively endearing dog Boogie, mostly unaccompanied by his terribly busy girlfriend Jennifer. Excellent writing, lots of humour, good descriptions of the river, the towns, the history, and the wildlife, with special reference to the belligerent Great Crested Grebes. Do read it if you get the chance.

500 Mile Walkies, Wallington's first book featuring Boogie, the streetwise mongrel from Stockwell, is also an excellent read. 'Rucksacks full of Kennomeat, along Britain's longest coastal footpath from Somerset to Devon, from Cornwall to Dorset.'

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Nathaniel's Nutmeg written by Giles Milton is an excellent read about how the Brits got their hands on Manhatten Island; not for the squeamish though!

At the moment I'm re-reading Colin Forbes Target Five; reading a story set on polar ice might make me feel cooler :ymdevil:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:18 pm

fin wrote:
rgbrock1 wrote:
fin wrote:I

Yup. It is the only one (except Personal which I am reading now) that I have not (yet) re-read.

I even went on youtube and found Lee Child at a book club, discussing his feelings about Tom Cruise being cast in the role of a 6'5" Army Major MP.

Tom the Cruise being cast as Jack Reacher was the biggest joke ever bestowed on Jack Reacher fans. Just what were they thinking in Hollywood when the chose that numb nut? (Personally I would have gone with someone like Steven Segal or Liam Neeson)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#36 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:25 am

Corner of our library, well there has to be a bar in any decent library doesn't there? :ymparty:
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#37 Post by Groundgripper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:00 pm

well there has to be a bar in any decent library doesn't there?

The converse also applies. B-)

GG

wgw2

#38 Post by wgw2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:40 am

The current bedside book is Monkey Sonatas by Orson Scott Card - a collection of short stories sort-of in the fantasy genre but a long way from your standard sword & sorcery. Good for dipping into when the insomnia fairies visit.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Hydromet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:43 am

I've been trying to fill some gaps in my reading - books I should have read when younger, but didn't. Just started Rabelais's 'Gargantua and Pantagruel'. Only a couple of pages into it, so haven't formed an opinion about it yet.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#40 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Far Horizon by Tony Park. A retired Aussie army Major turned bush guide down in this neck of the woods tracking down and killing poachers whilst with his tour group. The author is a retired Aussie Major and very knowledgeable on the bush and wildlife down here. Very accurate with all facts. Very good.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.