What book are you currently reading?

General Chit Chat
Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: What book are you currently reading?

#541 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:59 am

Opsboi wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:36 pm
G~Man wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:26 pm
ricardian wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:16 pm
"The spy and the traitor" by Ben Macintyre. True story of Colonel Oleg Gordievsky, KGB officer and MI6 spy.
Excellent book, I read / listened to it last year.
He hasn't written a bad one yet
+1 and +1 :)
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#542 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:47 am

Just finished the book on the Battle of the Bulge and have now commenced 'At Dawn We Slept. The untold story of Pearl Harbor' by Gordon W Prange.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#543 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:50 am

This is one book that I won't be reading: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/ ... s-sky.html :ymsick:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#544 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:33 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:50 am
This is one book that I won't be reading: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/ ... s-sky.html :ymsick:
Oh come on Mrs Ex-A, I bet it would be a laugh, or a farce!

I will buy it and read it and report back!

Lady Mary Heath and Amy Johnson are worthy subjects at least! ;)))

As for "our Trace", she's been good for a laugh for a while!

Purchased -

Bird.JPG
Bird.JPG (55.47 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#545 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:27 pm

She even lies in the reviews where she claimed that she never said that she was flying solo. Her instructor was leaping in and out behind hangers to avoid the press. Bloody awful woman.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#546 Post by OneHungLow » Wed May 03, 2023 9:44 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:27 pm
She even lies in the reviews where she claimed that she never said that she was flying solo. Her instructor was leaping in and out behind hangers to avoid the press. Bloody awful woman.
I was thinking about verity in the context of solo female flyers, and was apt to think of Beryl Markham, an extraordinary woman, who clearly did traverse the foaming Atlantic, "une femme tout seul", who then purportedly was the sole author of the superbly written "West with the Night", whose provenance immediately raised eyebrows, and whose certitude of authorship has been been slowly evaporating like a good cold beer in the Botswana sun. Beryl Markham, for all her faults and huge strengths was no writer and it is now widely suspected that her American husband, at the time of the publication of the book was almost certainly the primary source of the writing energy while being informed by the veracity of her very real experiences, Raoul Schumacher died relatively young, divorced, and an alcoholic, while Markham bathed in a brief, but age addled glory after returning to Kenya, in some disgrace, from South Africa, as the belated fame of "her" book grew!

Sic transit gloria mundi!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 5b5fd6769/

In fairness, the writer of the NY article is a believer in Markham's claim to authorship, but I ask ops-normalisers to read anything else by Markham, and try and reconcile the trite mediocrity therein with the fluent genius of West With The Night!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#547 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 09, 2023 2:08 am

Just finished "Daisy Jones & the Six " by Taylor Jenkins Reid. :-bd

A gripping novel about the whirlwind rise of an iconic 1970s rock group and their beautiful lead singer, revealing the mystery behind their infamous breakup. "I devoured Daisy Jones & The Six in a day, falling head over heels for it. Daisy and the band captured my heart."—Reese Witherspoon (Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine book pick) Everyone knows DAISY JONES & THE SIX, but nobody knows the reason behind their split at the absolute height of their popularity . . . until now. Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it's the rock 'n' roll she loves most. By the time she's twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things. Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she's pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road. Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend. The making of that legend is chronicled in this riveting and unforgettable novel, written as an oral history of one of the biggest bands of the seventies. Taylor Jenkins Reid is a talented writer who takes her work to a new level with Daisy Jones & The Six, brilliantly capturing a place and time in an utterly distinctive voice. Praise for Daisy Jones & The Six " Daisy Jones & The Six is just plain fun from cover to cover. . . . Her characters feel so vividly real, you'll wish you could stream their albums, YouTube their concerts, and google their wildest moments to see them for yourself." — HelloGiggles "Reid's wit and gift for telling a perfectly paced story make this one of the most enjoyably readable books of the year." — Nylon "Reid delivers a stunning story of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll in the 1960s and '70s in this expertly wrought novel. Mimicking the style and substance of a tell-all celebrity memoir . . . Reid creates both story line and character gold. The book's prose is propulsive, original, and often raw." — Publishers Weekly (starred review)

I managed to guess the band that this book was based on. :-o
No spoilers. [-X
Now to watch the series on Amazon Prime. :-ss

PP

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#548 Post by OneHungLow » Tue May 09, 2023 4:26 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:08 am
Just finished "Daisy Jones & the Six " by Taylor Jenkins Reid. :-bd

A gripping novel about the whirlwind rise of an iconic 1970s rock group and their beautiful lead singer, revealing the mystery behind their infamous breakup. "I devoured Daisy Jones & The Six in a day, falling head over heels for it. Daisy and the band captured my heart."—Reese Witherspoon (Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine book pick) Everyone knows DAISY JONES & THE SIX, but nobody knows the reason behind their split at the absolute height of their popularity . . . until now. Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it's the rock 'n' roll she loves most. By the time she's twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things. Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she's pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road. Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend. The making of that legend is chronicled in this riveting and unforgettable novel, written as an oral history of one of the biggest bands of the seventies. Taylor Jenkins Reid is a talented writer who takes her work to a new level with Daisy Jones & The Six, brilliantly capturing a place and time in an utterly distinctive voice. Praise for Daisy Jones & The Six " Daisy Jones & The Six is just plain fun from cover to cover. . . . Her characters feel so vividly real, you'll wish you could stream their albums, YouTube their concerts, and google their wildest moments to see them for yourself." — HelloGiggles "Reid's wit and gift for telling a perfectly paced story make this one of the most enjoyably readable books of the year." — Nylon "Reid delivers a stunning story of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll in the 1960s and '70s in this expertly wrought novel. Mimicking the style and substance of a tell-all celebrity memoir . . . Reid creates both story line and character gold. The book's prose is propulsive, original, and often raw." — Publishers Weekly (starred review)

I managed to guess the band that this book was based on. :-o
No spoilers. [-X
Now to watch the series on Amazon Prime. :-ss

PP
I must watch the Amazon series based on the book.

I guess I wouldn't be telling Little Lies, or be Going My Own Way when I say I guessed at the band associated with those songs when I watched the Amazon trailer after reading this post? Am I right?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 09, 2023 4:16 pm

OHL:
You got it.
Haven't watched the trailer but the author spilled it in the afterward.

PP

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#550 Post by tango15 » Wed May 10, 2023 8:59 am

Midnight, Moscow, by John Simpson. Only part way through, but it seems to be an amalgam of his own life, mixed with some fiction. Entertaining enough.

Prior to that, it was 'A Pilot's Perspective' written by a long-time friend of mine, who ended his working life flying 1-11s for BA. An interesting read, particularly for the aviators amongst us.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#551 Post by Woody » Wed May 10, 2023 11:11 pm

Not read it yet, as it’s not available until the end of the month, Birthday treat for me :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#552 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed May 10, 2023 11:19 pm

Are you getting an autographed copy? :D

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#553 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:53 pm

The Book of Charlie - David Von Drehle

One of our nation's most prominent writers finds the truth about how to live a long and happy life in the centenarian next door. When a veteran Washington journalist moved to Kansas, he met a new neighbor who was more than a century old. Little did he know that he was beginning a long friendship—and a profound lesson in the meaning of life. Charlie White was no ordinary neighbor. Born before radio, Charlie lived long enough to use a smartphone. When a shocking tragedy interrupted his idyllic boyhood, Charlie mastered survival strategies that reflect thousands of years of human wisdom. Thus armored, Charlie's sense of adventure carried him on an epic journey across the continent, and later found him swinging across bandstands of the Jazz Age, racing aboard ambulances through Depression-era gangster wars, improvising techniques for early open-heart surgery, and cruising the Amazon as a guest of Peru's president. David Von Drehle came to understand that Charlie's resilience and willingness to grow made this remarkable neighbor a master in the art of thriving through times of dramatic change. As a gift to his children, he set out to tell Charlie's secrets. The Book of Charlie is a gospel of grit—the inspiring story of one man's journey through a century of upheaval. The history that unfolds through Charlie's story reminds you that the United States has always been a divided nation, a questing nation, an inventive nation—a nation of Charlies in the rollercoaster pursuit of a good and meaningful life.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-book-o ... on-drehle/

Highly recommend! :YMAPPLAUSE: :-bd
The CBS Sunday Morning piece has a video and transcript.
Well done as always by them. ^:)^

PP

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#554 Post by tango15 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:40 pm

'We Are Bellingcat' by Eliot Higgins. Now I never understood the function or structure of this organisation, but an ex-colleague contacted me regarding someone whom we both know, who gets a mention in the book. It's an interesting read, in the way that they go about debunking falsified information which is put out by government, especially in wartime. It was largely their diligent work that helped pin down the true story of what happened to MH17.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#555 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:47 pm

The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece - Tom Hanks

Summary:
From the legendary actor and best-selling author: a novel about the making of a star-studded, multimillion-dollar superhero action film...and the humble comic books that inspired it. Funny, touching, and wonderfully thought-provoking, while also capturing the changes in America and American culture since World War II. "Wild, ambitious and exceptionally enjoyable." —Matt Haig, best-selling author The Midnight Library, The Humans and Reasons to Stay Alive Part One of this story takes place in 1947. A troubled soldier, returning from the war, meets his talented five-year-old nephew, leaves an indelible impression, and then disappears for twenty-three years. Cut to 1970: The nephew, now drawing underground comic books in Oakland, California, reconnects with his uncle and, remembering the comic book he saw when he was five, draws a new version with his uncle as a World War II fighting hero. Cut to the present day: A commercially successful director discovers the 1970 comic book and decides to turn it into a contemporary superhero movie. Cue the cast: We meet the film’s extremely difficult male star, his wonderful leading lady, the eccentric writer/director, the producer, the gofer production assistant, and everyone else on both sides of the camera. Bonus material: Interspersed throughout are three comic books that are featured in the story—all created by Tom Hanks himself—including the comic book that becomes the official tie-in to this novel’s "major motion picture masterpiece."

Very good! :-bd
Read on my Samsung 7" Android tablet.
The book has many footnotes and after trying to go back and forth between the text and footnotes at the end of each chapter, I somehow :-?? figured out that a tap on the footnote number took me straight there and another tap returned me to my place in the text. #:-S :)

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:03 am

Brave the Wild River - Melissa L. Sevigny

"The riveting tale of two pioneering botanists and their historic boat trip down the Colorado River and through the Grand Canyon. In the summer of 1938, botanists Elzada Clover and Lois Jotter set off to run the Colorado River, accompanied by an ambitious and entrepreneurial expedition leader, a zoologist, and two amateur boatmen. With its churning waters and treacherous boulders, the Colorado was famed as the most dangerous river in the world. Journalists and veteran river runners boldly proclaimed that the motley crew would never make it out alive. But for Clover and Jotter, the expedition held a tantalizing appeal: no one had yet surveyed the plant life of the Grand Canyon, and they were determined to be the first. Through the vibrant letters and diaries of the two women, science journalist Melissa L. Sevigny traces their daring forty-three-day journey down the river, during which they meticulously cataloged the thorny plants that thrived in the Grand Canyon's secret nooks and crannies. Along the way, they chased a runaway boat, ran the river's most fearsome rapids, and turned the harshest critic of female river runners into an ally. Clover and Jotter's plant list, including four new cactus species, would one day become vital for efforts to protect and restore the river ecosystem. Brave the Wild River is a spellbinding adventure of two women who risked their lives to make an unprecedented botanical survey of a defining landscape in the American West, at a time when human influences had begun to change it forever." -- Provided by publisher.

I have had the good fortune to have kayaked the Grand Canyon four times. Three all the way to Lake Mead and once just to Diamond Creek, 224 river miles from the put-in at Lee's Ferry.
I also have a few thousand hours flying tours over the Canyon, hauling river runners into and out of the Bar10 airstrip, as well as giving impromptu tours from the flight levels when our flightpath was in the vicinity of it.
The changes over the forty or so years between their trip and my first are staggering and the fact that they were the first women out of just a few dozen people to have made that trip up to that time is amazing.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#557 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:30 pm

Sure to be on OHL's list and mine eventually, maybe.

Elon Musk
By Walter Isaacson

From the author of Steve Jobs and other bestselling biographies, this is the astonishingly intimate story of the most fascinating and controversial innovator of our era—a rule-breaking visionary who helped to lead the world into the era of electric vehicles, private space exploration, and artificial intelligence. Oh, and took over Twitter.

When Elon Musk was a kid in South Africa, he was regularly beaten by bullies. One day a group pushed him down some concrete steps and kicked him until his face was a swollen ball of flesh. He was in the hospital for a week. But the physical scars were minor compared to the emotional ones inflicted by his father, an engineer, rogue, and charismatic fantasist.

His father’s impact on his psyche would linger. He developed into a tough yet vulnerable man-child, prone to abrupt Jekyll-and-Hyde mood swings, with an exceedingly high tolerance for risk, a craving for drama, an epic sense of mission, and a maniacal intensity that was callous and at times destructive.

At the beginning of 2022—after a year marked by SpaceX launching thirty-one rockets into orbit, Tesla selling a million cars, and him becoming the richest man on earth—Musk spoke ruefully about his compulsion to stir up dramas. “I need to shift my mindset away from being in crisis mode, which it has been for about fourteen years now, or arguably most of my life,” he said.

It was a wistful comment, not a New Year’s resolution. Even as he said it, he was secretly buying up shares of Twitter, the world’s ultimate playground. Over the years, whenever he was in a dark place, his mind went back to being bullied on the playground. Now he had the chance to own the playground.

For two years, Isaacson shadowed Musk, attended his meetings, walked his factories with him, and spent hours interviewing him, his family, friends, coworkers, and adversaries. The result is the revealing inside story, filled with amazing tales of triumphs and turmoil, that addresses the question: are the demons that drive Musk also what it takes to drive innovation and progress?

PP

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by OneHungLow » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:33 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:30 pm
Sure to be on OHL's list and mine eventually, maybe.

Elon Musk
By Walter Isaacson

PP

It is now. Thank you for pointing it out. ^:)^

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#559 Post by G~Man » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:38 pm

Just finished "Vulcan 607" based upon recomendation on here---great book, and riveting to almostt the end.

Just about to start this in audio form, I know--it takes away from the literature, but I can do other things:

51R2xyXKcEL.jpg
51R2xyXKcEL.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#560 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:40 pm

G~Man wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:38 pm
Just finished "Vulcan 607" based upon recomendation on here---great book, and riveting to almostt the end.

Just about to start this in audio form, I know--it takes away from the literature, but I can do other things:

"Log from the Sea of Cortez"
Superb... Ed Ricketts is my guru! Steinbeck is superb.

We have all known engines or recalcitrant machinery like this... I have known Lycoming engines (which should know better) like this!
A fragment from John Steinbeck’s The Log from the Sea of Cortez

“We come now to a piece of equipment which still brings anger to our hearts and, we hope, some venom to our pen. Perhaps in self-defense against suit, we should say, “The outboard motor mentioned in this book is purely fictitious and any resemblance to outboard motors living or dead is coincidental.” We shall call this contraption, for the sake of secrecy, a Hansen Sea-Cow—a dazzling little piece of machinery, all aluminum paint and touched here and there with spots of red. The Sea-Cow was built to sell, to dazzle the eyes, to splutter its way into the unwary heart. We took it along for the skiff. It was intended that it should push us ashore and back, should drive our boat into estuaries and along the borders of little coves. But we had not reckoned with one thing. Recently, industrial civilization has reached its peak of reality and has lunged forward into something that approaches mysticism. In the Sea-Cow factory where steel fingers tighten screws, bend and mold, measure and divide, some curious mathematick has occurred. And that secret so long sought has accidentally been found. Life has been created. The machine is at last stirred. A soul and a malignant mind have been born. Our Hansen Sea-Cow was not only a living thing but a mean, irritable, contemptible, vengeful, mischievous, hateful living thing. In the six weeks of our association we observed it, at first mechanically and then, as its living reactions became more and more apparent, psychologically. And we determined one thing to our satisfaction. When and if these ghoulish little motors learn to reproduce themselves the human species is doomed. For their hatred of us is so great that they will wait and plan and organize and one night, in a roar of little exhausts, they will wipe us out. We do not think that Mr. Hansen, inventor of the Sea-Cow, father of the outboard motor, knew what he was doing. We think the monster he created was as accidental and arbitrary as the beginning of any other life. Only one thing differentiates the Sea-Cow from the life that we know. Whereas the forms that are familiar to us are the results of billions of years of mutation and complication, life and intelligence emerged simultaneously in the Sea-Cow. It is more than a species. It is a whole new redefinition of life. We observed the following traits in it and we were able to check them again and again:

1. Incredibly lazy, the Sea-Cow loved to ride on the back of a boat, trailing its propeller daintily in the water while we rowed.

2. It required the same amount of gasoline whether it ran or not, apparently being able to absorb this fluid through its body walls without recourse to explosion. It had always to be filled at the beginning of every trip.

3. It had apparently some clairvoyant powers, and was able to read our minds, particularly when they were inflamed with emotion. Thus, on every occasion when we were driven to the point of destroying it, it started and ran with a great noise and excitement. This served the double purpose of saving its life and of resurrecting in our minds a false confidence in it.

4. It had many cleavage points, and when attacked with a screwdriver, fell apart in simulated death, a trait it had in common with opossums, armadillos, and several members of the sloth family, which also fall apart in simulated death when attacked with a screwdriver.

5. It hated Tex, sensing perhaps that his knowledge of mechanics was capable of diagnosing its shortcomings.

6. It completely refused to run: (a) when the waves were high, (b) when the wind blew, (c) at night, early morning, and evening, (d) in rain, dew, or fog, (e) when the distance to be covered was more than two hundred yards. But on warm, sunny days when the weather was calm and the white beach close by—in a word, on days when it would have been a pleasure to row—the Sea-Cow started at a touch and would not stop.

7. It loved no one, trusted no one. It had no friends.

Perhaps toward the end, our observations were a little warped by emotion. Time and again as it sat on the stern with its pretty little propeller lying idly in the water, it was very close to death. And in the end, even we were infected with its malignancy and its dishonesty. We should have destroyed it, but we did not. Arriving home, we gave it a new coat of aluminum paint, spotted it at points with new red enamel, and sold it. And we might have rid the world of this mechanical cancer!

from John Steinbeck, “The Log from the Sea of Cortez”, Penguin Classics, page 18.
Also recommend Nancy Ricketts book... Becoming myself... an interesting take on her old man.

https://www.montereyherald.com/2021/05/ ... s-herself/