What book are you currently reading?

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: What book are you currently reading?

#201 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 am

603DX wrote:A welcome Christmas present from my son, filling in much of the desperate activity of Churchill and Chamberlain, during that crucial period when I was but a toddler. Of Chamberlain I have no personal memories to tap into, but I was one of about a million respectful and freezing-cold mourners on the bitter January 1965 streets of London, to witness the old warrior's spectacular funeral cortege, as the nation said farewell.

Six Minutes in May - How Churchill Unexpectedly Became Prime Minister: Nicholas Shakespeare - ISBN9781846559723 Harvill Secker

Did you bump into my Dad? He was coincidentally at a conference in London at the time so of course lined the street. Just down from St Paul's on the left heading up the hill.

Who gets St Paul's and who gets Westminster Abbey? Just planning ahead.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#202 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am

See if you can see him Ex-A.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Xkr8z3lEo[/bbvideo]
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

603DX
Capt
Capt

#203 Post by 603DX » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
603DX wrote:A welcome Christmas present from my son, filling in much of the desperate activity of Churchill and Chamberlain, during that crucial period when I was but a toddler. Of Chamberlain I have no personal memories to tap into, but I was one of about a million respectful and freezing-cold mourners on the bitter January 1965 streets of London, to witness the old warrior's spectacular funeral cortege, as the nation said farewell.

Six Minutes in May - How Churchill Unexpectedly Became Prime Minister: Nicholas Shakespeare - ISBN9781846559723 Harvill Secker

Did you bump into my Dad? He was coincidentally at a conference in London at the time so of course lined the street. Just down from St Paul's on the left heading up the hill.

Rather unlikely Ex-A, literally a one-in-a-million chance! I was standing with two friends on the corner of Whitehall and Northumberland Avenue, a key viewpoint for witnessing the impressive panoply of a grateful nation's state funeral for that most remarkable statesman.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#204 Post by om15 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:45 pm

I have just finished the first (of four) volume of "The history of the English speaking people" by WSC, most of the content was covered at school, les the graphic detail of bloodshed and high level perfidy. I have read several biographies of ESC and also books written around his times.
Intend to read all his writings over this year.

ribrash

#205 Post by ribrash » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 am

" We want plates " by Ross McGinnes. This follows on from the recent court case where by a pub was fined £50,000( They were warned ) for serving meals on manky wooden boards.14 customers went down with severe food poisoning.As a retired food bacteriologist I have long campagained against this knowing you can not clean or sterilise these faux serving plates that are there to hide the chef/cooks talent.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#206 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:17 pm

ribrash wrote:" We want plates " by Ross McGinnes. This follows on from the recent court case where by a pub was fined £50,000( They were warned ) for serving meals on manky wooden boards.14 customers went down with severe food poisoning.As a retired food bacteriologist I have long campagained against this knowing you can not clean or sterilise these faux serving plates that are there to hide the chef/cooks talent.

Golly OAP with your background I wouldn't eat out anywhere. We are trying to remember a place we used to go to that served grub on wooden boards. Could have been Greece. Seem to remember ploughman's lunches being served on wooden boards in the UK.

Then there are chopping boards!
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ribrash

#207 Post by ribrash » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
ribrash wrote:" We want plates " by Ross McGinnes. This follows on from the recent court case where by a pub was fined £50,000( They were warned ) for serving meals on manky wooden boards.14 customers went down with severe food poisoning.As a retired food bacteriologist I have long campagained against this knowing you can not clean or sterilise these faux serving plates that are there to hide the chef/cooks talent.

Golly OAP with your background I wouldn't eat out anywhere. We are trying to remember a place we used to go to that served grub on wooden boards. Could have been Greece. Seem to remember ploughman's lunches being served on wooden boards in the UK.

Then there are chopping boards!

Check out wewantplates.com =)) =))

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#208 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:58 pm

A wooden board? Sheer luxury! Our mother would mash potatoes in their skins under wheels of Eddie Stobart truck and then use oil spill as dripping and when we'd finished she have us lick motorway clean...

As for what I am reading it is "Flight of the Mew Gull by Alex Henshaw"... all about record breaking flying in the 1930's.

Caco

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#209 Post by om15 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm

I am exploring the many 1940s and 50s novels that have been recently republished by Vintage Classics, many by American authors that I haven't read before, currently reading "Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates.

Penguin is the publisher, the series available at Waterstones in paperback, worth a browse the next time you are passing.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#210 Post by ricardian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 pm

I am trying to re-read some of Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels but these days my concentration has shrunk and after just a few minutes my mind wanders off and when I "come to" I find myself reading the same sentence or paragraph over and over again. I've tried other genre but have the same problem. Gone are the days when I'd sit down with a book and read for several hours at a time.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#211 Post by Opsboi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:45 pm

ricardian wrote:I am trying to re-read some of Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels but these days my concentration has shrunk and after just a few minutes my mind wanders off and when I "come to" I find myself reading the same sentence or paragraph over and over again. I've tried other genre but have the same problem. Gone are the days when I'd sit down with a book and read for several hours at a time.

I think Sir Terry would smile at this

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#212 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Mashed potatoes under the wheels of a truck ? Luxury. We had to get up at three ack emma, walk into a field, dig potatoes up with our fingernails, find two stones and use 'em to mash the potatoes. And wash the stones afterwards and put them back where we found them. You tell modern kids that and they just laugh at you.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#213 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:41 pm

More a case of what I am not reading...!

I am trying to get a copy of "Wings Over the Great Divide" by Alex Henshaw, published in 2004, but it is now out of print and it seems to be rarer than hen's teeth. Does anybody know where a citizen might get his hands on a copy?

The book tells the tale of Alex Henshaw's travails as the head of the Miles Aicraft company in South Africa in the late 1940's.

When the war ended he resumed private flying as a hobby and worked in South Africa for two years as a Technical Director of Miles Aircraft before returning to this country. He took over the running of the family farming and holiday business from his elderly father, which had been left in shambles owing to the war. Alex had the job of re-construction along six miles of Lincolnshire coast, which included an 18 hole golf course. Today a residential estate in Sandilands bears the name Henshaw for the main avenue, and all the roads, closes and streets are named after the various aircraft he flew.

Up to the time of his death in February 2007 Alex lived in a charming cottage in Fordham Road Newmarket, surrounded by paintings, photographs, trophies, awards and other mementoes of a brilliant flying career. Among them was a photograph of him chatting to a cigar smoking Winston Churchill.

Alex suffered a great loss when his wife Barbara died in 1995, ending a partnership lasting 58 years. "She was everything to me", he recalled, "wife, best friend, and mentor".

http://www.newmarketlhs.org.uk/alexhenshaw.htm

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#214 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Cacophonix wrote:More a case of what I am not reading...!

I am trying to get a copy of "Wings Over the Great Divide" by Alex Henshaw, published in 2004, but it is now out of print and it seems to be rarer than hen's teeth. Does anybody know where a citizen might get his hands on a copy?

The book tells the tale of Alex Henshaw's travails as the head of the Miles Aicraft company in South Africa in the late 1940's.

Looking for "Wings Over the Great Divide" using online libraries and found this and have taken it out on difital loan...

BerylMarkham.JPG
BerylMarkham.JPG (93.98 KiB) Viewed 298 times

What a great resource... one can almost smell the paper...

https://archive.org/

Caco

603DX
Capt
Capt

#215 Post by 603DX » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Fascinating though "West with the Night" undoubtedly is, even in the light of its long-suspected joint authorship with Raoul Schumacher, there is much to be learned from "The Lives of Beryl Markham" by the meticulous biographer Errol Trzebinski. This provides extensive background to all of Beryl's aviation and amatory activities. I have both books, and the two volumes are a revelation when read in association!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#216 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 pm

603DX wrote:Fascinating though "West with the Night" undoubtedly is, even in the light of its long-suspected joint authorship with Raoul Schumacher, there is much to be learned from "The Lives of Beryl Markham" by the meticulous biographer Errol Trzebinski. This provides extensive background to all of Beryl's aviation and amatory activities. I have both books, and the two volumes are a revelation when read in association!

Thank you very much for the reference to Errol Trzebinski. I shall purchase the 'The Lives of Beryl Markham'. I had read a little about the questions surrounding the provenance of the book. It is exceptionally well written and if Schumacher ghost wrote it, it is an excellent job he made of it. Markham' seems to have been a pretty uninhibited kind of soul and her amatory exploits (as you so delicately put it) and personality were not to everybody's taste. Whatever the case, her last years which had seen her descend into penury, were made more tolerable by the receipts from the book which found a new set of readers late in her life.

From Wikipedia

Critics raised questions as to whether Markham was the true, or sole author of West with the Night, not least because she never repeated her accomplishment with a second book of similar length, scope or beauty. The writing style has been linked with various writings by Thomas Baker, a contemporary writer also rumored to be her lover. During the rest of her life, she completed only a handful of short stories, collected and published posthumously.

According to Errol Trzebinski in her biography, The Lives of Beryl Markham (1993), her memoir was written by her third husband Raoul Schumacher, a ghost writer and journalist. Trzebinski said that Markham later had an advance from Houghton Mifflin to write a biography about the famous international jockey Tod Sloan, which she and Schumacher intended that he would write. Apparently Schumacher never did, and she was forced to go it alone. The publisher purportedly rejected her manuscript, saying that it was not from the same person who had written West with the Night.[10] But, when interviewed by Shlachter for the 1986 PBS documentary about Markham, Trzebinski had insisted on camera that only a woman could have written her memoir.

Author Mary S. Lovell visited Markham in Nairobi and interviewed her extensively shortly before Markham's death, in preparation for her biography, Straight On Till Morning (1987). She disputes the claim that Schumacher made substantive contributions to West with the Night. From her research, Lovell concluded that Markham was the sole author, although Schumacher edited the manuscript. Instead, Lovell credits Antoine de Saint Exupéry, another of Markham's lovers, with having inspired Markham's clear, elegant language and storytelling style.

Caco

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#217 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 pm

"The War Diaries of 23789 Oberfeldwebel Schulz". Published Wien 1973. Excellent reading the words of this unsung hero of the Wehrmacht. I know nothing ! Nothing !

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#218 Post by om15 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:26 pm

I have just finished "Birdcage Walk" by Helen Dunmore, written in 2016, her last book before her death last summer. The publisher has included an afterward written the month before she died, this is her own last words regarding the previous books, her thoughts on her books and a few words about her impending demise.
Sad that such a good author has gone, at such a comparatively early age.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... ore-review

603DX
Capt
Capt

#219 Post by 603DX » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:48 pm

OFSO wrote:"The War Diaries of 23789 Oberfeldwebel Schulz". Published Wien 1973. Excellent reading the words of this unsung hero of the Wehrmacht. I know nothing ! Nothing !

Sounds a bit like Manuel, in that Fawlty Towers episode about the winning horserace bet! ;)

But I'm intrigued by the book title, which I can't find in a quick search. In 1981, BBC TV broadcast a short "comedy drama" series starring the late Michael Elphick as Private Schulz, set in WW2 and also starring Ian Richardson as his corrupt Wehrmacht commanding officer. It was very enjoyable I recall, and the screenplay was written by Jack Pulman. Do you think there is any connection between the book you describe, and the adapted storyline as broadcast?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#220 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Have almost finished Alex Henshaw's "The Flight of the Mew Gull" and am looking forward to tucking into "Sigh For a Merlin. Testing the Spitfire". I am still looking for the missing part of his autobiographical trio "Wings Over the Great Divide" and have contacted antiquarian booksellers here in the UK and in South Africa and it is nowhere to be found at the moment, despite the best efforts of my irregulars in seeking it out. It was published in 2004 and it is really odd that it is so now rare, almost as if it has been "pulled" from publication. I shall persevere and prevail though!

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8HQ_2HsRTY[/bbvideo]

Caco