What book are you currently reading?

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: What book are you currently reading?

#601 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:00 am

The Six : The Untold Story of America's First Women Astronauts / Loren Grush.

A very good read which as usual lead to further reading.
Sally Ride, one of The Six, was an instrumental part of the Rogers Commission which analyzed the Challenger disaster, and I am now reading the commission's report.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#602 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:33 am

"Something sensational to read on the train", by Gyles Brandreth. Excellent.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#603 Post by Hydromet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:04 am

Just started "Question 7" by Richard Flanagan. It's 'sort of[' autobiographical, and seems to be as good as his others.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#604 Post by tango15 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:14 am

Crisis by Frank Gardner. Set in Colombia, a country I know well, and dealing with the narcotraficantes[/i ]about whom I know rather less. James Bond-type stuff, but well-researched and entertaining.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#605 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:24 am

Just started "The Running Grave" / Robert Galbraith AKA J.K. Rowling.
This is the seventh installment of the Cormoran Strike series.
The book is 950 pages and weighs in at a little under three pounds. :-o
I couldn't wait for an ebook version as the library gets far fewer of the digital editions vs. physical books. [-X
At least I'll get a good workout carrying it around and just holding it whilst reading. #:-S

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#606 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:12 am

Hell or High Water: Surviving Tibet's Tsangpo River

A grand adventure! An elite kayaking team's heroic conquest of the world's last great adventure prize: Tibet's Tsangpo River.
The Tsangpo Gorge in southeastern Tibet has lured explorers and adventurers since its discovery. Sacred to the Buddhists, the inspiration for Shangri La, the Gorge is as steeped in legend and mystery as any spot on earth. As a river-running challenge, the remote Tsangpo is relentlessly unforgiving, more difficult than any stretch of river ever attempted. Its mysteries have withstood a century's worth of determined efforts to explore its length. The finest expedition paddlers on earth have tried. Several have died. All have failed. Until now.

In January 2002, in the heart of the Himalayan winter, a team of seven kayakers launched a meticulously planned assault of the Gorge. The paddlers were river cowboys, superstars in the universe of extreme kayaking who hop from continent to continent ready for the next death-defying pursuit. Accompanying them was author Peter Heller. A world-class kayaker in his own right, Heller has logged countless river miles and several major first descents. He joined the Tsangpo Expedition as a member of the ground support team and official expedition journalist, and was also granted the exclusive opportunity to write the book about the descent.

Hell or High Water is that book, greatly expanded from his coverage for Outside magazine. Filled with history, white-knuckle drama, and mutiny in one of the world's most storied, and remote, locations, Hell or High Water is as riveting as any of the great epic adventures throughout history.

This book struck a chord with me.
Even though I am a few rungs below these paddlers I can still relate, having kayaked the Grand Canyon multiple times, as well as Hell's Canyon, the Middle Fork and Main Salmon, other stretches of the Snake, and having learned to kayak on the Chattooga, the river that Deliverance was filmed on, as well as the New and Gauley Rivers in West Virginia.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#607 Post by Hydromet » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:40 am

That one sounds like a good gift for the Granddaughter. Will put it on the list. Thank you.