Nôtre Dame burns

General Chit Chat
ribrash

Re: Nôtre Dame burns

#61 Post by ribrash » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 pm

If I didn't have a lot of very expensive guitars to worry about I wouldn't bother about contents insurance.In terms of household items,I could replace them for a couple of grand.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:46 pm

The classic is buying an Endowment Policy, you bet that you will die, the insurance company bets that you will live.

If you live, and it matures, with the lump sum you buy an annuity.

At this point, you bet that you will live and the insurance company bets that you will die.

Look at life expectancy tables and compare them with the life of Insurance Companies and their profits!
Cynicism improves with age

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Go to the car park of any major insurance/assurance/pension company building. Take a look at the difference between the cost and luxury of the BMWs and Mercs and Range Rovers in the staff carpark versus the very ordinary Mondeos and Nissans and Skodas in the customer car park. Then think about who benefits from the insurance racket.

I have a large wedge of 'Funds At Lloyds'. I wholly own one nameco and I'm a major shareholder in a second and a minor shareholder in a third. My annual returns typically vary between 6 and 18% pa. I also get to keep the investment returns in my FaL, such as equities on the Stock Market and farmland which is rented out commercially in the agribusiness. There is risk,of course. Real risk. I could lose any of the assets pledged as FaL, but in the long term the losses are greatly outweighed by the gains and I no longer stand to lose my shirt as I might have done back in the early 1980s when I was a "name" without limitation of liability.

When the cathedral burned, I phoned my Members Agent to ask how much I'm in for. "Not a Sou" was the pleasing reply!

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 pm

Only insurance I have is the compulsory vehicle insurance. Far too many Australians take minimal precautions with their property with an expectation their insurance will cover them - hence spreading their stupidity over the whole insured population via higher premiums. Ex-in-laws went overseas for three months, leaving with garden shed unlocked, full of perfect tools to enable easy break-ins. When I pointed it out the reply was "insurance will cover it".

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by ricardian » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:05 pm

They say that the restoration of Notre Dame could take 75-100 years.
The only person who will see it finished is Keith Richards.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Capetonian

#66 Post by Capetonian » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:28 pm

Sorry but President Macaroon has said it will be complete in 5 years.

We know how efficient, hard-working, competent, and reliable the Frogs are, and how they always keep their promises (unless they surrender or go on strike).

Mind you, he didn't say 5 years from when!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by OFSO » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 pm

The Gillets Jeunes tried to burn down the European Parliament's other buildings in Strasburg yesterday. Sadly they were rebuffed by police using stun grenades and teargas. Such a tragedy.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Maybe the European Parliament building needs some maintenance next summer. I suggest they use the same company running the Notre Dame project. Although, I feel Notre Dame has a more useful function.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral On Fire

#69 Post by ricardian » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:27 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:22 pm
The roof, spire and stained glass windows have already been destroyed, the fire is still burning fiercely.
Human errors caused delay in calling the fire brigade & how close Notre Dame was to collapse
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Cigarettes. And don't even mention the hulk of the Samaritan department store a few minutes walk down the rue de Rivoli. As our taxi driver said on Saturday, an even bigger scandal Paris is firmly keeping quiet.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#71 Post by Stoneboat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm
Cigarettes. And don't even mention the hulk of the Samaritan department store a few minutes walk down the rue de Rivoli. As our taxi driver said on Saturday, an even bigger scandal Paris is firmly keeping quiet.
The renovated Samaritaine was supposed to have opened in 2013 but this has been pushed back several times.

Read more: http://www.traveller.com.au/paris-to-re ... z5tx5giM7q
Follow us: @TravellerAU on Twitter | TravellerAU on Facebook