A lot to answer for

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

A lot to answer for

#1 Post by OFSO » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Sitting watching "The Robe" on TV this afternoon I found myself humming "Always look on the bright side of life" during the crucifixion scene. The "Life of Brian", not to mention "Black Adder", have a lot to answer for.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: A lot to answer for

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:49 pm

Blackadder's analogies are not only memorable, but also triggered a whole genre of similar witticisms.

"For four years, the Western Front has been as likely to move as a Frenchman who lives next door to a brothel...."

Perhaps a greater achievement is that certain phrases have been adopted in self-parody by the very people they were aimed at. I've certainly heard "home in time for tea and medals" used a few times in formation briefings. Mind you, I doubt the Bishop of Bath and Wells is a frequent quoter ;)))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 pm

I slipped a chap a couple of quid today as a tip, and into my mind came "Here's a bag of gold......which I'm not going to give you."

"Two things shall ye know about the Wise Woman...."

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by unifoxos » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:12 am

Went to see the Passion Play at Oberammergau in 2010, and when they announced "He is the Messiah", it was really difficult not to respond. My unease provoked some pretty shirty looks from SWMBO.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Magnus » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:18 am

I liked "The stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun".

ribrash

#6 Post by ribrash » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:48 am

Magnus wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:18 am
I liked "The stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun".
I have that on a T-shirt. :))

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Woody » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 am

“General Melchett, I’m afraid there’s something wrong with Georgina

She’s not Welsh is she?”
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Woody » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:57 pm

With apologies, especially to jimtherev, but just got back from Easter Vigil, every year is the same, first reading from the Book of Genesis “ In the beginning “ and then I get this :ymdevil:

When all else fails, read the instructions.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#9 Post by jimtherev » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Ah, my memory of 'Easter Vigil' is slightly different. Thirtytwo years ago I spoilt the fun of a whole lot of coppers who thought they had a load of persistent church burglars finally in the bag.
01:55, my turn to join the mob meditating by candlelight round the Easter Garden presentation. (Kitch and cheezy at the same time - the garden, not me.) Two full serials of police officers, plus dog, about to storm the church, because they had been informed of 'suspicious activity'.
"Cease and desist, officers," cry I. "ullo, and oo might you be?" asks the largest and hairiest.
Resisting the temptation to reply "I'm the bleedin' vicar, innit." I produced some id, and explained what I and the parishoners were up to, and, disappointed, our heroes retired to their canteen (yes, the Met still had them then) and interrupted refreshments.

I sometimes wish that I had been 5 minutes later, 'twould have been much more fun. And the bishop would have privately laughed till he cried. He was that sort of bishop, blessim.