Formula One

General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Formula One

#921 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:26 pm

My brother-in-law shot himself in his car - made a mess of it (the car, not the suicide).

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#922 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:44 pm

Mick Schumacher’s crash at Saudi Arabian Grand Prix could cost Haas $1 million

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/29/motorspo ... index.html

Mick Schumacher’s crash during qualifying at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix could cost Haas as much as $1 million to repair the car.

Although the chassis and engine survived the impact, team boss Guenther Steiner told reporters that “the cost is still pretty high because all the suspension is gone, except the front left. I think there’s still something on there. The rest is just like powder, carbon powder.”

“I don’t know money-wise as yet but these cars, between gearbox, the whole bodywork’s gone, radiator … between half a million to a million (dollars) I would say,” Steiner added.

Schumacher, son of seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher, crashed during the second session of qualifying after hitting a curb, losing control of the car and spinning into the wall.

He was airlifted to hospital but released that same day following an initial assessment that found he had no injuries.

As a result of the crash, Haas only fielded one car in the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix.

Despite the setback, Haas, who finished last season without a single point, has started 2022 strongly.

The team currently sits fifth in the constructors’ championship following Kevin Magnussen’s fifth and ninth place finishes at the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian Grands Prix respectively. Schumacher has yet to score a point after the opening two races of the season.

The added costs from the crash will not yet affect the team’s budget cap, set by F1 regulations.

“There’s a nominal amount [set aside],” Steiner said according to Autosport, “But in a racing team, you never can stick to your budget like in a normal commercial business because you have this risk.”

“You have got obviously a contingency there. But if you have two or three like this: pretty quick your contingency is not there anymore.

“It’s a loss. So you just need to manage. Obviously, I hope we don’t have a lot more of them.”

Steiner confirmed to Channel 4 that two cars would run at the next Grand Prix, in Melbourne, Australia on April 10.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#923 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:10 pm

What of Schumacher's nerve?

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#924 Post by tango15 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:54 am

So the septic influence of F1 becomes ever greater. There is to be a race in Las Vegas(!) next year. It will be run at 8pm local, which is about 2-3am European time. It's going to be a street race, so big chunks of the strip and surrounding areas will be cut off for a number of days, I imagine. It takes them 2-3 hours to scour the track at Silverstone, which doesn't see very much traffic, so I imagine it will be quite a job in Vegas.

I'm beginning to lose interest in F1. The Jeddah circuit is just a joke. and all the constant rule changes are just making it increasingly difficult to understand, except for the lawyers who draw them up, who are doubtless making a pretty penny euro cent out of it all. I know it's the Mail, but for once it seems to be quite explanatory and accurate:
www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/a ... -deal.html

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Balls of steel and the day Jack Brabham took on the Indy roadsters...

#925 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:54 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: Porpoising.....

#926 Post by Rossian » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:56 pm

....given that they are pretty sure what causes it why haven't all those very clever engineers and Fluid Mechanics chaps come with a workable solution? Red bull don't seem to have as much of a problem, what is different in their design? FIA instituted the new rules- did nobody ask the "What if?" questions before setting them in concrete? (I believe in the bad old days it was called Monte Carlo simulations.) Nowadays they all have mega computers and wind tunnels why does it take so long to sort it out?
Don't we know how to do things any more?
Baffled in Morayshire.

The Ancient Mariner

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#927 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:03 pm

After watching him leap out of his car after today's Grand Prix, I must ask Mr Hamilton about the secret cure for his hurty back which, earlier on in the week, was crippling him and making it extremely difficult for him to get out of his car.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#928 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:56 pm

His Physio is that little blond usually in his back pocket, goes everywhere with him. Think, but not sure, she is a Kate.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#929 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:46 pm

I've often wondered who she is.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#930 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:39 am

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#931 Post by Wodrick » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:00 am

Angela, Kate, same difference really.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#932 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:53 pm

How are the A$$hole Red Bull fans allowed to bring their smokebombs to the tracks? :-? [-X X(
Granted, they are enthusiastic and travel to races in great numbers, but the smokebombs? ~X(
PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#933 Post by OFSO » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:22 pm

These are the idiots who cheered when Hamilton crashed.

Hamilton said that he found it “mind-blowing” fans would cheer a crash, particularly without knowing the condition of the driver.

“I'm grateful that I wasn't in hospital, and I wasn't heavily injured, but you should never cheer someone's downfall or someone's injury or crash,” Hamilton said.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#934 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:28 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:22 pm
These are the idiots who cheered when Hamilton crashed.
That too!
They make British football fans look angelic.

PP

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#935 Post by Wodrick » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:42 pm

Now here's a thing.

Porsche ans Red Bull

Might get rid of the lying, cheating bastard who can't even grow a beard.

Seenenough

#936 Post by Seenenough » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:40 pm

Why am I not surprised to hear that Red Bull may well have not been following the rules?