Formula One

General Chit Chat
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Formula One

#881 Post by Wodrick » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:53 pm

It seems that, to a greater or lesser extent they have all underestimated the effect of porpoising.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Seenenough

#882 Post by Seenenough » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:59 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:53 pm
It seems that, to a greater or lesser extent they have all underestimated the effect of porpoising.
Overcoming the problem may prove quite difficult.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#883 Post by Wodrick » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:08 pm

It's enter the vicious circle time innit, raise the suspension - less GE, less aerodynamic grip etc.

Seenenough

#884 Post by Seenenough » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:15 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:08 pm
It's enter the vicious circle time innit, raise the suspension - less GE, less aerodynamic grip etc.
They could have inadvertently created a very expensive problem for themselves as each track will have different requirements so it is probable that each team could have to come up with several underfloor designs in order to be able to adjust.

The danger of sudden and unexpected loss of downforce is severe at such speeds.Like flying, fixing one problem often creates another.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#885 Post by Wodrick » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:19 pm

They are already trying different floors I've seen stills of both McL and Red Bull trying different floors.

Seenenough

#886 Post by Seenenough » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:31 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:19 pm
They are already trying different floors I've seen stills of both McL and Red Bull trying different floors.
One way around it is to give each team a standard floor ,with maybe two variants ,that they have to work with.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#887 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:52 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:31 pm
Wodrick wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:19 pm
One way around it is to give each team a standard floor ,with maybe two variants ,that they have to work with.
The F1 genius... no math man, no understanding... but still springing from the.. tree..

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#888 Post by Woody » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:53 am

Russian driver Nikita Mazepin has been sacked by the Haas team as a result of his country's invasion of Ukraine.

The US-based outfit have also terminated the contract of their title sponsor, the Russian chemicals company Uralkali.
Nothing at all to do with the fact that he was ***** :))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#889 Post by tango15 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:35 am

Woody wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:53 am
Russian driver Nikita Mazepin has been sacked by the Haas team as a result of his country's invasion of Ukraine.

The US-based outfit have also terminated the contract of their title sponsor, the Russian chemicals company Uralkali.
Nothing at all to do with the fact that he was *sh*t* :))
My sentiments exactly, Woody! When all this kicked off, I wondered whether Haas would use it as an excuse to get rid of him. Maybe his expertise may be of some use to that trapped convoy north of Kiev, though on reflection his pit crew would probably do (much) better. I understand that crap Chinese tyres are one of the big issues, so they'd have them on the road again in no time :))

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#890 Post by om15 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Entered in Error

Seenenough

#891 Post by Seenenough » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:25 pm

Didn't see this one coming-Fittipaldi must be a bit peeved.

"Haas re-signs Magnussen in multi-year contract to replace Mazepin"

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#892 Post by Wodrick » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:10 pm

Well now it's amazing what a new engine can do. Look not at Ferrari but also Haas and Alfa. How long for Mercedes to catch up ?

Seenenough

#893 Post by Seenenough » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:11 pm

Welcome back Ferrari and what an epic failure at RedBull.

I must say a little smile came to me when Jos' little brat started whinging on the radio.

That is how a Safety Car is supposed to work.

What a great week end of motorsport it has been with all top end forms running.Sebring,MotoGP,Formula 1,Indycar and Nascar.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#894 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 pm

For me, Formula One has been killed by arbitrary regulations which make no sense, and the regulations are then administered by inexperienced local officials who only deal with one race a year. Drivers are only there if they bring in money. And the whole program is only on subscription TV, that we don't need. So finally I said goodby. Sad.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#895 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:08 pm

Didn't watch the race but good to hear that Ferrari had a good outing. I am not a Red Bull fan and Verstappen sets my teeth on edge! Good luck to the Monegasque!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#896 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:41 am

Encouraged by this thread I watched the race highlights and while the banality of the track was as it ever was, there was some action on it for once, but the best bit, I am ashamed to say, was the schadenfreude inherent in listening to the cringeworthy, not to say childishly peevish radio exchanges, between Verstappen and his team, as he realised that his day was coming undone. Seeing both Red Bulls immobile before the end was the icing on my, possibly spiteful, cake. Engine problems on multiple cars should wipe the sneer off Christian Horner's fizzog.

Charles Leclerc seems like a very sensible, talented, graceful and decent chap. I wish him and his team the very best for the rest of this season.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#897 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:55 pm

Seems both Red Bull cars hit the same fuel pump issue, which hadn't been caught before as they had not tested the car across a full GP distance....
both cars retiring with a fuel system problem. It appears likely the issue was to do with the high temperatures of the fuel as the final few litres moved around in the near empty tanks The temperatures are higher this season anyway because of the new part biofuel mix being employed and this can cause evaporation, which damages the fuel pump, ultimately disabling it. Red Bull were the only team not to run a full race distance simulation in testing, when this issue would have manifested itself.
Easily fixed, so not a major design issue at all. Their cars were demon fast on the straights. The Honda engine is very good. It is going to be an interesting season,
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#898 Post by tango15 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:35 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:41 am
Encouraged by this thread I watched the race highlights and while the banality of the track was as it ever was, there was some action on it for once, but the best bit, I am ashamed to say, was the schadenfreude inherent in listening to the cringeworthy, not to say childishly peevish radio exchanges, between Verstappen and his team, as he realised that his day was coming undone. Seeing both Red Bulls immobile before the end was the icing on my, possibly spiteful, cake. Engine problems on multiple cars should wipe the sneer off Christian Horner's fizzog.

Charles Leclerc seems like a very sensible, talented, graceful and decent chap. I wish him and his team the very best for the rest of this season.
B..b..b..but M Leclerc is a Monogasket and Ferrari are famously Italian. We are no longer part of the EU, so there is no need to support these people. Williams, Red Bull, Mercedes and Aston Martin all have their racing headquarters in the UK as you know, and all of them within a stone's throw of Silverstone, and as an honorary Brit, you should be supporting them. :))

Actually, I must confess to some bias here. When I work the GP at Silverstone, the Ferrari team are a total PITA. Being Italian, they think rules are for everyone else, so they completely ignore the 20mph site speed limit. They also ride around on mini-scooters carrying various bits of kit on the their shoulders. which you're also not supposed to do either. The most amusing aspect to this is that often they have a fag dangling out of their mouths while they are en-route. :)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#899 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:57 pm

tango15 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:35 pm
B..b..b..but M Leclerc is a Monogasket and Ferrari are famously Italian. We are no longer part of the EU, so there is no need to support these people. Williams, Red Bull, Mercedes and Aston Martin all have their racing headquarters in the UK as you know, and all of them within a stone's throw of Silverstone, and as an honorary Brit, you should be supporting them. :))

Actually, I must confess to some bias here. When I work the GP at Silverstone, the Ferrari team are a total PITA. Being Italian, they think rules are for everyone else, so they completely ignore the 20mph site speed limit. They also ride around on mini-scooters carrying various bits of kit on the their shoulders. which you're also not supposed to do either. The most amusing aspect to this is that often they have a fag dangling out of their mouths while they are en-route.
"Monogasket".... =)) :YMAPPLAUSE:

I am going to steal that term.

As for the Italians, I am certain that they don't wear crash helmets while rushing around on their mini-scooters either. All that is missing from this whole amusing image is a leggy, haughty, impeccably chic Italian girl, sitting perched on the back of the mini-scooter as well, as an infuriated English official attempts to bring them to book! =))

One abiding memory I have of the Ferrari pit, when they brought the 312P sports car out to the 1972 9 Hour at Kyalami, was the wonderful smell of the huge pot of spaghetti bolognaise they had cooked on a portable gas cooker at the back. I was but a sprog but still salivate at the memory of the smell of that wonderful pot to this day.

Another memorable moment was 2 years later, again at the 9 Hour race, when Englishman John Wyer attacked a recalcitrant Afrikaner who insisted on smoking in the general area of the fuel drums in the Gulf Mirage pit! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#900 Post by larsssnowpharter » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:27 pm

Ah Ferrari! Stuff of dreams. Never owned one but did once own a lovely little Alfa Spyder with the 3 litre engine. Mad car.

In a previous life, I was invited to drive a Testarossa at Monza by one of the F1 team sponsors. Two laps with the factory driver and then two laps solo with strict instructions not to exceed 7000 rpm down the straight. A truly memorable experience with that V12 howling sway.

On a point of gastronomic order, there is no such thing (in Italy) as a Bolognese sauce, strictly speaking. It's a Ragu sauce and should be made with about 30% ground pork. But, you are right, the aroma is wonderful.

I lived in Italy when they introduced the law on crash helmets on motorcycles. The Italians got around it by wearing them on their elbows.

Lastly, best field kitchens in NATO are Italian and the ratpacks have red wine and grappa.