General Chit Chat
Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Formula One

#61 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue May 12, 2020 9:57 am

Capetonian.

+1
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by tango15 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:09 am

As someone who works as a steward at Silverstone, not just for F1, may I be allowed to make a few comments? I should mention that I am not employed by the track itself but by a third party. The track is owned and operated by the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), membership of which is carefully regulated and operated rather like the London Clubs. The BRDC has a reputation both within and without Silverstone as being difficult to deal with. Their style of management appears to run on some form of brinkmanship, the philosophy being that F1 can't take the Silverstone race away because it's traditional and pulls in 150,000 spectators, more than most of the others on the calendar. To some degree, they got away with this with Bernie. The irresistible force met the immovable object, but eventually agreements were reached, partly I believe because such sentiment as Bernie has lay at the track itself. Of course the whole F1 business is now in the hands of the cousins and as we all know, sentiment plays no part where money is concerned.

Personally, I can see little point in running a race behind closed doors, in the same way as I can see no point in playing Premiership football, or any other sport, without the crowd. The whole point of these races is the atmosphere and as one who has travelled around the world watching F!, I can attest to the fact that the crowds are friendly and of a totally different level from the barmy army who follow the ball-centric sports, thus making the whole experience that much more enjoyable. Where sport is concerned, I believe each to their own; I simply wanted to offer a different perspective.

With regard to the drivers, I have met many of them, both past and present. I will comment on only two. Ayrton Senna was one of the nicest men I ever met. He was very intelligent, charming, had a great sense of humour and had time for everyone. His philanthropy both before and after his death is well-chronicled. I would never have wanted to race against him on the track, but I had the pleasure of selling him a 125, which is why he appears as my avatar. I openly admit to shedding a few tears when I heard that he had died at Imola. Lewis Hamilton is often criticised but who knew that at last year's Silverstone, he turned up at the steward's camp one evening, driving a van himself,with about 12 cases of beer in it. He posed for selfies and signed autographs and generally 'hung out' with the guys for about half an hour, chatting about racing. Now the media never tell you this, do they...?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 12, 2020 11:45 am

tango15 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:09 am

Personally, I can see little point in running a race behind closed doors, in the same way as I can see no point in playing Premiership football, or any other sport, without the crowd. The whole point of these races is the atmosphere and as one who has travelled around the world watching F!, I can attest to the fact that the crowds are friendly and of a totally different level from the barmy army who follow the ball-centric sports, thus making the whole experience that much more enjoyable. Where sport is concerned, I believe each to their own; I simply wanted to offer a different perspective.

+1

All about TV money of course.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by G-CPTN » Sat May 23, 2020 3:57 pm

'Dublin dodge' loophole in Britain's new quarantine rules that allows those arriving from Ireland to avoid having to isolate at home.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

McLaren in financial trouble?

#65 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 am

When the government called for British industry to help build life-saving ventilators as the scale of the coronavirus crisis became clear, McLaren was one of the first to step forward. As part of the VentilatorChallengeUK consortium alongside Airbus and Rolls-Royce, by mid-April the Formula One firm was making components for the life-saving machines and building the trolleys used to transport them.

This week it has emerged that the high-tech business is involved in a different sort of emergency – attempting to shore up its own finances – and is trying to pledge its collection of hugely valuable cars and its state-of-the-art Norman Foster-designed HQ in Woking, Surrey, as collateral to get the finance it needs.

McLaren’s revenues have slumped during the pandemic, despite many of its super-rich clients being relatively insulated from the worst of the crisis.

Car buyers around the world have been unable to visit showrooms, making the purchase of an extremely expensive supercar difficult. Even the wealthiest buyers want to see their prospective purchase before handing over £163,000 for McLaren’s GT, a road car.

Limited-edition cars can cost far more: the windscreen-less Elva will cost a reported £1.4m, before options such as a 24-carat gold engine heat shield are included.

The carmaker also failed in its request for a £150m emergency loan from the government, Sky News reported.

McLaren’s Formula One revenues have also been hit, although last week it signed the Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo for the next season. This season, which was due to start in March, is tentatively due to start on 5 July, behind closed doors.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ecure-250m
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by G-CPTN » Mon May 25, 2020 6:14 am

The interweb has several accounts of poor service by the McLaren road-car operation.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:14 am
The interweb has several accounts of poor service by the McLaren road-car operation.
Definitely don't buy from their dealer in Manchester.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by tango15 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm

I gather that Boris has said the Silverstone's races can now take place and that there will be consultations at ministerial level in order to co-ordinate the efforts required.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 pm

tango15 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm
I gather that Boris has said the Silverstone's races can now take place and that there will be consultations at ministerial level in order to co-ordinate the efforts required.
****! What would Fangio or Nuvolari say?

F1 is basically dead...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue May 26, 2020 3:00 am

Still remember back in the 70's watching a race here in Australia (at Sandown I think) which Fangio drove one of his old race cars which had been meticulously restored in a three lap demonstration race against Jack Brabham driving his old Repco Brabham car.

Fangio was in the lead until on the final lap where Brabham passed him on the run to the finish line.

The Crowd went wild!!

That race must be available for viewing somewhere!! I wouldn't know where to look.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Wodrick » Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 am

Here to serve
Jack vs Fangio
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue May 26, 2020 10:55 am

Thank you Wodrick! :-bd
Fangio was in the lead until on the final lap where Brabham passed him on the run to the finish line.
Having just watched that clip kindly supplied by you I have (once again) found that my memories of events of many years ago do not match the facts!! [-X

It was still bloody good to watch!!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by G-CPTN » Tue May 26, 2020 2:25 pm

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by llondel » Tue May 26, 2020 4:03 pm

tango15 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm
The purpose of Cumming's recent trip now becomes clear. He managed to drive a distance comparable to an F1 race as a trial to see if they could run the race.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Le Mans '66

Not formula one really but motor racing nonetheless. I haven't seen the film but had followed the Ken Miles Ford GT 40 story back in the day when I used to watch the Porsches and Ferrari battle it out at the Kyalami 9 hour race in my early youth.

A much more attractive Brummie than that awful whinger Nigel Mansell.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by G-CPTN » Sat May 30, 2020 1:55 pm

I have seen the film, and as one who 'was there' (as pit-crew), I found it extremely true to life.

Well worth watching.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 30, 2020 2:03 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:55 pm
I have seen the film, and as one who 'was there' (as pit-crew), I found it extremely true to life.

Well worth watching.
Thanks for the heads up G-CPTN (I bet you have so stories to tell).

I will mark the film for viewing tomorrow night. Tonight being given over to SpaceX and the possible rostering of Boac to stand in as a crew member on the Falcon 9. ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Boac » Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 pm

I trust you will give me adequate notice? We are having a BBQ, so call early.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Boac wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 pm
I trust you will give me adequate notice? We are having a BBQ, so call early.
WILCO - A socially distanced BBQ i hope... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 am
Here to serve
Jack vs Fangio
Absolutely wonderful to watch that. Thanks so much for posting.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."