General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Formula One

#701 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:40 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:37 pm
Whilst he is a first-class driver, Verstappen is also an aggressive bully. Hopefully today will have taught him there's one driver who won't take any of his sh*t any more.

Personally I think the crash was Verstappen's fault, but I'm in a minority. At worse it was a racing incident, not worth a penalty. Didn't watch to the end, turned over to ITV4 to watch real sportsmen.
+1

Pity you didn't watch to the end. It was a good GP. They are as rare as hen's teeth these days. Leclerc drove a very good race, in the Ferrari. His time will come.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#702 Post by OFSO » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:42 pm

Mrs OFSO wants it known she is disgusted with the commentators. Coulthard should be pensioned off, whining on and on. And the Australian git, pure anti-Hamilton.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#703 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:45 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:42 pm
Mrs OFSO wants it known she is disgusted with the commentators. Coulthard should be pensioned off, whining on and on. And the Australian git, pure anti-Hamilton.
Sour grapes from two has beens... =))

I do wish we could resurrect Murray Walker and James Hunt! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#704 Post by OFSO » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:49 pm

Had a farewell lunch for a departing friend so problematic staying awake afterwards. Eating my starter provoked the same sensation as when the door to Paradise opens and you can peek in. Fresh figs with local mozzarella cheese in a vinaigrette and honey sauce. (Below). Then crusty baked duck. Fresh strawberries in a cream custard sauce.
IMG_20210718_125659.jpg

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#705 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:51 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:49 pm
Had a farewell lunch for a departing friend so problematic staying awake afterwards. Eating my starter provoked the same sensation as when the door to Paradise opens and you can peek in. Fresh figs with local mozzarella cheese in a vinaigrette and honey sauce. (Below). Then crusty baked duck. Fresh strawberries in a cream custard sauce.

IMG_20210718_125659.jpg
One can understand some somnolent tendencies after such a fine repast! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#706 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:56 pm

+1 for racing incident

Love Figs, mine are still developing and the trackside tree still developing too.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#707 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:11 pm

I mean that without Verstappen and Hamilton the spectacle would be a 'no race'.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#708 Post by OFSO » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:12 pm

Mrs OFSO wound up her Magic Machinery and got the last ten minutes or so on catch up. Passing Le Clerc not as easy as I thought it would be. Tires shot...

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#709 Post by 1DC » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:06 pm

+2 for racing incident.The little guy who runs Red Bull is just a moaning selfish git.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#710 Post by Boac » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:03 pm

FIA do not agree.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#711 Post by tango15 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:21 pm

I was there! I can't really comment on the coming together, because I only saw it at a distance and then not very clearly. Of course Red Bull were exercised by the whole thing and one of their principals ( not the Spice Girl's husband), came on and made a number of derogatory remarks about Hamilton's driving and was quickly ushered off Silverstone FM. A few observations:
1) He took the ten second penalty on the hoof as it were, which surprised me a little, but perhaps such was Mercedes confidence in their driver that they thought there was a still a chance he could do something, especially as Leclerc was clearly having problems with his car.
2) The crowd were 100% behind Hamilton, though somewhat shocked when they saw the damage to Verstappen's car.
3) A the end of the race, Hamilton climbed over a gate and onto the grass in front of the podium, to thank his fans, who had cheered him all the way. After this, he climbed through one of the gates in front of the track, facing the grandstands, and waved to everyone. All this before he even hugged his team-mates and went onto the podium.
4) Bottas cut a very lonely figure on the podium. He looked like 'Valtteri No Mates' all there on his own, while Hamilton, Leclerc and the Merc team principal showered each other with what must have been very warm champagne - it had been sitting on the podium for at least half an hour!
5) Of course they played the National Anthem and it was nice to hear the people around me singing it - mind you, I was in the posh seats, but lots of people in the other stands seemed to be signing it, too!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#712 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:06 pm

Boac wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:03 pm
FIA do not agree.
That Christian Horner is a git? =)) :))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Formula One at Roy Hesketh in Natal South Africa

#713 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:54 pm

I enjoyed a short reverie today about the South African Formula One Championship, as well as the South African National Drivers Championship, and national Formula Atlantic races, and was remembering some of the old tracks. One of these was the Roy Hesketh Circuit in KwaZulu Natal which was extant between 1953-1981. I wonder if anybody else who posts here remembers this track?
Lieutenant Roy O. Hesketh (1915 in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa – 19 September 1944, above Great Bitter Lake, Egypt) was a South African racing driver and South African Air Force pilot.

Lieutenant Roy Hesketh died in Egypt in an aircraft collision in the Second World War. The Roy Hesketh Circuit in Pietermaritzburg was named after him.

He was buried at the Fayid War Cemetery in Fayid, Egypt.- Wikipedia
Roy Hesketh Circuit Heritage

Roy Oliver Hesketh.JPG
Roy Oliver Hesketh.JPG (48.66 KiB) Viewed 356 times

Roy Oliver Hesketh Biography

John Love.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#714 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am

The FIA stewards came down hard on the submission by Red Bull yesterday, writing that in using Albon to recreate The Incident on their film day they had fabricated new evidence rather than discovering actual evidence. Request for a review rejected.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#715 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:46 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am
The FIA stewards came down hard on the submission by Red Bull yesterday, writing that in using Albon to recreate The Incident on their film day they had fabricated new evidence rather than discovering actual evidence. Request for a review rejected.
Gamesmanship of the worst kind. Just bull, not even red!

All this garbage about "respect" as well! Who does Verstappen think he is? The Godfather? Actually when looking at his father's litany of violent criminality, including wife beating, fracturing a competitors skull in go-karting as a result of an assault etc. one is minded to think of criminals! Not nice people at all!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#716 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:15 pm

The Red Bull team has announced a change of name to "The Cry Babies" from the next race.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#717 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:59 pm

Hamilton booed by Dutch fans as he stood on the podium today.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#718 Post by 1DC » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:25 pm

Yes but he had the measure of them,dont think it bothered him in the slightest.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Two consecutive bad weekends at Brands Hatch

#719 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:08 am

A volunteer marshal has died after being hit by a car which spun off the track during a race at the Brands Hatch circuit.

An air ambulance landed on the circuit after police and paramedics were sent to the track near Dartford, Kent, at 3pm on Saturday.

The car had crashed into barriers and rolled several times before colliding with the marshal’s post. The condition of the driver has not been disclosed.

The crash occurred during a British Automobile Racing Club (BARC) car championship event. Racing was cancelled for the remainder of the day.

Motorsport UK, the sport’s governing body, said it is “deeply saddened” by the accident.

A spokesperson added: “The race meeting was immediately suspended and Motorsport UK, together with the event organiser, has begun a full investigation into the circumstances of the incident. The thoughts of everyone at Motorsport UK are with the marshal’s family, the organisers of the event, and other members of the motorsport community who were present.”

BARC said in a statement: “On behalf of everyone connected with the BARC, we are devastated by the loss of one of the amazing volunteer marshal community who do so much to enable the sport to take place. Our thoughts and best wishes are with the family and friends of all those involved. It is anticipated that the event will resume on Sunday.”

A spokesman for Kent police said the force was called following a collision involving a car and two people on foot at Brands Hatch.

He said officers attended the scene and carried out inquiries with no suspicious circumstances being reported.

Last week, at the same course, Brad Jones suffered an accident during a race in the British Superbike Championship and was induced into a coma.

The rider sustained serious injuries in the head, chest and pelvis, and remains at King’s College Hospital in London.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -off-track

I remember the awful accident that killed Tom Pryce and volunteer marshal Jansen Van Vuuren at the South African Grand Prix all those years ago. Pryce is buried in Otford just down the road from Brands Hatch.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#720 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Will Bottas get a penalty for causing the chaos?