Anyone here 'Tickle the Ivories'?

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Anyone here 'Tickle the Ivories'?

#1 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 pm

I don't ...musically I'm ueseless....now the following has been labelled one of the best 'pop' passsages ever played / composed..APPARENTLY but I cannot commentate..

the left / right hand thing seems very difficult!
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

ribrash

Re: Anyone here 'Tickle the Ivories'?

#2 Post by ribrash » Thu May 09, 2019 2:09 pm

I can play a bit.Self taught but I couldn't play that.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by k3k3 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 pm

According to my daughter Elton John must have big hands because of the difficulty she has playing some of his compositions.

fin
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by fin » Thu May 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Liszt did too. One of that ilk used a stretcher so they could play an extended fourth.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by G~Man » Thu May 09, 2019 7:52 pm

I tried many times to learn, but have zero musical ability or co-ordination so I became a helicopter pilot instead. Do not tell my mother I am a pilot though as she would be devastated, she thinks I am a piano player in a whore house....
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by larsssnowpharter » Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Have tried also to the extent that I can play a few times badly.

But I consider that a success for the kid who was instructed by his music teacher to play air triangle in the school orchestra annual performance.

As I write this, Sproglette Senior is in her room composing music on a keyboard, ukele and guitar, mixing it on her laptop and posting it on her website.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri May 10, 2019 9:25 am

Played the piano and violin since the age of 8. Spent 7 years at a top music school. Still absolutely useless. Sitting next to a young taverna owner here who taught himself on the guitar. After a year he was brilliant. We remember him starting. It was painful.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by 603DX » Sun May 12, 2019 3:04 pm

Never played piano or anything, except a descant recorder at junior school. Can't carry a tune in a bucket, yet joined the very ambitious Choral Society at the grammar school. Led by a talented music master, we sang to Borodin's Polovtsian Dances, with a combined orchestra of the boy's and girl's grammars. Somehow my zero talent got swept along by the pulse-racing Russian music, and I wasn't asked to leave!

Thrilled by the response to that first major opus, the ambitious master moved us on next year to Bach's St Matthew Passion, hardly a "pot-boiler" of a work. Soloists amongst us included Lindsay Heather and Philip Langridge, who both went on to the Royal College of Music. Philip became a very well known operatic tenor, performing at La Scala, the NY Met, and the Royal Albert Hall. I was astonished years later to see him as a soloist at the last night of the proms, on TV. The strong emphasis on performing good choral music each year spread the real talent thinly amongst us all, and though I still couldn't sing for toffee, I joined in enthusiastically for the next master work, the sublime Mozart's Requiem. Lyrics all in Latin, of course, and I can still remember snatches of the choruses, like "Confutatis, maledictis, flamis acribus addictis". People actually paid for tickets to attend the two performances (probably proud parents) of each of these musical extravaganzas! My singing has not improved over the years, but I suppose my sotto voce, with mouth opening and closing more or less in time with those around me, enabled me to enjoy taking part in spite of being talentless ... ;)))

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Karearea » Sun May 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Learned piano as a child for a short while.
Very rusty now as far as music-reading is concerned;
re-learned when my daughters were having lessons and was astounded to discover that the fingers can still position themselves, without my thinking about it, to play melodies I hadn't played for fifty years.
I expect it is a Good Thing for the brain.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#10 Post by jimtherev » Sun May 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Eight years ago, shortly after moving here, and missing the choir we sang in at our last home, I went to a meeting about the possible forming of a rock choir. About 10 of us turned up in the village, and I made the mistake of admitting I have a keyboard and could play a bit.
Over thirty of us now, and I can still play a bit... we did have a brilliant accompanist until a few months ago, but she got too busy and it was the choir wot got the elbow. So it's Jim again, and my practice just about enables me to keep a decent-ish standard as my age and Arthur Rightis conspire to knock my dexterity down. But the Kilburn Community Choir keeps a-rockin' along and we're having to turn gigs down. So we can fool some of the people some of the time.
So far.
Must work harder.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Hydromet » Sun May 12, 2019 11:04 pm

Like 603DX, the only instrument I ever played was the descant recorder, and I wouldn't inflict my playing on anyone these days. However, in our street we have three music teachers and a professional a capella jazz singer. One teacher in particular seems to teach very high level students, and I often faintly hear very pleasant music coming from her house. One afternoon, I commented on this to her husband as I walked past, and he said that they have had complaints.

Perhaps people prefer the noise of chainsaws and lawnmowers that is so prevalent here.

11Fan
CPL
CPL

#12 Post by 11Fan » Mon May 13, 2019 7:03 pm

I've never advanced beyond "two-finger hunt and peck" despite years of lessons as a critter.

I'd love to play. I just don't want to spend the time learning how.

Funny though, I'm a bit ambidextrous, but I just can't pull it off.

Maybe something for retirement......hmm