What is your most satisfying 'food'?

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: What is your most satisfying 'food'?

#21 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 am

Siseman, LHP once a week at school. Black pudding, not lamb.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat May 18, 2019 8:08 am

The Island had the prisoners complaining that they were given lobster every day. I think oysters were also subbed in. Lamb is the most expensive of the regular meats here, then and now, including lobster.
The problem with fresh lobster is the cost of storage and the layers of brokerage necessary (and they are necessary). It's cheap here, about $5 a pound off the wharf, but about 5 times that when it hits a restaurant table in Trono. If one has a guaranteed market, it makes economic sense sometimes for the fisherman to personally drive their catch all the way to Trono and sell it straight to the restaurateurs, but the problem is the lack of guaranteed market.

PN - we were taught how to kill* and prep the bird on our courses. Boiling is of course recommended from the energy perspective, both food and fuel, however we knew the exercise was finishing in 2 days, and there is a reason you never see boiled pheasant on a restaurant menu.

*Yes, headless chickens do run around if one gets it wrong! Hilarious to watch your erring mate trying to catch it again.

Sisemen

#23 Post by Sisemen » Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am

Fliegenmong wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 am
Sise, I believe Lancashire Hot Pot meat used to be 'bulked out' more with oysters traditionally, as they were very cheap in the 19th Century..

True, but they tend to come a bit expensive nowadays :)) The kidneys give it that richness and, if you don’t like kidneys, you’d never know they were an ingredient.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#24 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat May 18, 2019 8:43 am

Never managed to catch anything on excercises. Still can't catch fish. Don't recommend road kill crow though especially when it is flat.

Freshly made fish cakes for lunch. Especially made for us. What is the point in going home when we have a hotel room and personal chef. Gives Mrs Ex-Ascot a three month break from the kitchen.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Magnus » Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 am

Lars, +1 for vongole, but we prefer linguini to spaghetti. A splash of vodka and a few chilli flakes make it even nicer.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Hydromet » Sat May 18, 2019 10:08 am

Never tried Lancashire hot pot, but based on the recipe posted, I might give it a go when(if) winter arrives here.
One of my favourite foods is rollmops, have been since I was a kid and they were a rarity in the antipodes. I also love most offal - lambs fry, kidneys, lambs heart, brains, but definitely not tripe.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sat May 18, 2019 10:13 am

As long as it's bronze die! Will try the dash of vodka....sounds good.

All this talk of 'exercise food' reminds me:

It was cold and wet. It was yet another exercise in some training area somewhere in England. Something to be endured rather than enjoyed. We were a disparate group of various nationalities and had struggled to erect a couple of paratepees and disconsolate because it was clear that they would leak during the night.

The Brits amongst us, unsure what to do next, did what Brits do in dire situations; we set about making a brew and debating about how we could stretch the scant remains of our ration packs.

One Nigerian was thoroughly pissed off with the thought of another meal consisting of 3 cans of anything thrown into a mess tin and heated up. He wandered off into the woods cursing and muttering.

He came back about an hour later with a skinned and butchered sheep!

"That's how we live off the land back home."

I still remember the wonderful taste of that cooked mutton and licking every last piece off my fingers.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:08 am

*Yes, headless chickens do run around if one gets it wrong! Hilarious to watch your erring mate trying to catch it again.
Which also fits the Kark it thread. The head there, eye blinking and beak moving.

Ex-Ascot, reminds me of Bladrick and his Rat O'Van. Bear Gryliss last night or so gave his hapless stooge a dead rat to skin, gut, and roast. The end result looked quite good.

On our short Jungle course the RM group, resting after Borneo, 'caught or captured' a tortoise. I don't know his they planned to butcher it. I am pleased to say 'our' snake escaped before I could catch it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 18, 2019 7:19 pm

And the most delicious rat pack food was oat meal block porridge prepared by one of the DS at Torpantau station for breakfast after we spent the night out on Pen y Fan in January.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by OFSO » Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Black pudding. Chorizo. Yum yum.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat May 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Spaghetti or any pasta actually with a tomato/mushroom sauce and plenty of cheese. And since we like to discuss military food the lentil cooked on a tomato sauce was a revelation that I am looking forward to taste again.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by ian16th » Sat May 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Not being the flying sort, I never had to suffer the indignities of any sort of formal survival training.

Boy Entrants had a continual 18 months survival system, highlighted with an event called called 'Summer Camp'.

In my case Summer Camp was two weeks under canvas, on the airfield at RAF Millom in the summer of 1953.
For the catering arrangements, we had our normal cooks from Yatesbury, operating a Field Kitchen. This was seen as training for them!

They all failed.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Ian, as they say, hardest course in the RAF. No one passed yet.

ribrash

#34 Post by ribrash » Sat May 18, 2019 8:40 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm
Black pudding. Chorizo. Yum yum.
+ 1

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Hydromet » Sat May 18, 2019 10:43 pm

Ran into a squad of new entry Army apprentices on an exercise near Blowering Dam. One of them demonstrated his skill at 'tickling' a trout to catch it, to the culinary enjoyment of some of his mates and approval of the DS. Unfortunately for him, when word got out, he was in trouble, as it was out of season.

Sisemen

#36 Post by Sisemen » Sun May 19, 2019 3:30 am

“Rock Stew” was always a favourite compo meal of mine. Sounded disgusting but the end result was amazing.

Beef stock drink in some water in a mess tin
Empty can of bacon burger and/or bacon grill into it and mash up
Can of baked beans
Smash up pack of Biscuits, AB whilst in their pack and empty contents into mess tin.
Chuck in anything else reasonably tasty
Mix and heat through.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by G-CPTN » Sun May 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:30 am
“Rock Stew” was always a favourite compo meal of mine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup#Story

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#38 Post by Rossian » Sun May 19, 2019 3:18 pm

On Shackletons we had "Honkers stew" which was great on cold winter's nights north of 60N.
Canned Australian steak, tinned tatties/carrots, a fair helping of curry powder, canned peaches/pineaple and anything else that looked edible in the rations box.

I was interested to find during flights with the German navy that they had a similar concoction which was prepared in the base galley and taken out to the aircraft in an isulated "BIG" box.

The Dutch navy took a wheeled cupboard made out of sonobuoy boxes which was manhandled up the back steps and locked in place on a spare seat rail with similar very varied contents reflecting the differing tastes of the crews.
Ingenious folks were maritime crews.

The Ancient Mariner

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by ricardian » Sun May 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Any al fresco food is immeasurably improved by a few drops of Tabasco sauce. When in the RAF but attached to the army for 2 years it was a vital part of our survival kit when out on exercise (or "scheme" to use the Army's own, rather quaint, terminology).
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Sisemen

#40 Post by Sisemen » Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:25 pm
Sisemen wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:30 am
“Rock Stew” was always a favourite compo meal of mine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup#Story
Called Rock Stew after the disgusting habits of the the RAF Regiment otherwise known as Rocks (as in Rock Apes) who would eat anything. Bacon Grill and Bacon Burgers were two tins which normally were used in the “See how far you can Throw Them” competition. Rock stew made them palatable!