Air Fryers

General Chit Chat
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Air Fryers

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Sun May 19, 2019 10:41 am

Twenty/twenty five years ago had this device - large glass bowl with fan and element set into the lid. Supposed to cook food by blowing hot air onto it. At a time when brightly coloured laminated bench tops were all the go, discovered that the hot lid delaminated the bench top when placed thereon. :(

Tomorrow due to take delivery of a much updated version - a Tefal EY401D Easy Fry Digital Delux Air Fryer. Spent an afternoon on Youtube watching videos of people producing fabulous looking food from one, with minimal effort. Pork spare ribs marinated in soy and honey looked like food to die for.

Love roast vegies, but pre-heating an oven and then cooking my vegies for just one, me, has always seemed massively wasteful.The oven would heat the whole house, even when it wasn't necessary. So an air fryer might do the trick. :)

This is the one I have on order.

tefal.png
tefal.png (54.95 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Anyone here using an Air Fryer on a regular basis? Like to share thoughts.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

Re: Air Fryers

#2 Post by Capetonian » Sun May 19, 2019 10:54 am

I bought a Phillips air fryer for friends in the Netherlands about two years ago, because they used to fry everything, they were all seriously overweight, and the house always smelt of frying oil.

Since they started using it, and they now swear by it, the house is cleaner, they don't have to buy gallons of oil, and they have lost weight, although the fryer is not the only reason.

At first they said the food tasted different ( it would!) but they have adjusted seasoning and when I go there for meals, their food is a lot better.

I fry very little but now you've given me an idea, I might get one. But mine will be a Phillips, I don't buy Tefal, it's a frog make.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Sun May 19, 2019 10:59 am

We have a Phillips one.
It is used exclusively to produce chips, and is brilliant at that task.

SWMBO is a devout traditionalist, in the Delia Smith mould, and extremely sceptical about such a device, but was persuaded by a friend to try the Air Fryer.
Cynicism improves with age

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Sun May 19, 2019 11:00 am

Had some bad experiences with Philips down here Cape. Support was non existent. Have a Tefal pressure cooker from twenty five years ago, never had a problem with it and used often in Winter. Hence choice.

Alison

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun May 19, 2019 11:44 am

I have the Tefal manual version (no timer). It is fantastic for both fries and home fries (potato cubes). I will use it for more once I have more time.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ricardian » Sun May 19, 2019 12:00 pm

I bought the Lakeland version last year. Brilliant! So far I've air-fried pork chops, home-made beef burgers, chicken breast & bacon. All successful.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by unifoxos » Sun May 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Had the Tefal for years, manual with timer, but the timer is only an alert, it doesn't turn it off. Fish and chips every Friday, Steak and chips every Saturday for years, and in between roasted new potatoes, chilli con carne and other similar dishes, and if you want really great-looking sausages stick them in - the paddle turns them over continuously so they are evenly browned all round. DiL has a grid thing that sits on top of the paddle and will do delicate things like fish fillets, but mostly uses it for home made crisps (or Freedom Fries for the septics).

I do my chips thrice-cooked. Cook for 20 mins, rest for 5, cook 10, rest 5, cook 5. YMMV depending on the variety of spud and the oil used (I routinely use rape seed oil, but it uses so little that I don't hesitate to use lard, dripping or duck fat if I have it.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun May 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Falafal balls coated with oil then "fried". Pita stuffed with cheese in for about 3 minutes to toast pita and melt cheese. Stuff with falafal and toppings.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Alisoncc » Mon May 20, 2019 7:45 am

Air Fryer delivered this am. Unpacked, washed out, and loaded with decent sized lumps of butternut pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot and potato. Having previously dipped vegies in olive oil. 22 minutes later at 180 degC, got to scoff a gorgeous lunch of roast vegies. Almost forgotten how scrumptious they are. Machine definitely a good buy. Now what's for tea.

Alison

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Mon May 20, 2019 7:50 am

I hope you enjoy your new fryer.

I think I'm going to get one too, have been thinking about it for a while. I hate deep fat frying, and more so since a nasty accident many years ago. I get very nervous if I'm cooking and anyone comes near me in the kitchen.

Sisemen

#11 Post by Sisemen » Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 am

Reviews on line seem to favour the Phillips

johngreen
FO
FO

#12 Post by johngreen » Tue May 21, 2019 9:11 am

A genuine question; what is the difference is between an 'air fryer' and a fan assisted oven? Is not the process of adding heat to food to be cooked more or less the very same thing?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue May 21, 2019 10:04 am

Essentially, the size of the container and the rotator thingie. The first being more appropriate is more efficient, both in terms of cost and the ability to keep the temperature more accurate. The second spreads a very thin coat of oil without the aggro of one having to attempt that oneself before bunging things in a convection oven, and also removes the need to remove the food from the oven periodically to flip it. This is because both transfer heat by both air convection and metal conduction through the food container.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#14 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue May 21, 2019 10:45 am

Never heard of these. Please could someone advise on power consumption. 1.5 Kw is our limit unless we put the genny on. Here on Amorgos we would just have to get the Donkeys to pedal faster.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am

Consumption on mine is plated at 1400W. I have it plugged into a long underwired circuit and it's never tripped the breaker. I have not tested it properly, but you should be OK.
I think they are mostly designed to run off a standard 110V/15A circuit.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Tue May 21, 2019 11:27 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am
Consumption on mine is plated at 1400W. I have it plugged into a long underwired circuit and it's never tripped the breaker. I have not tested it properly, but you should be OK.
I think they are mostly designed to run off a standard 110V/15A circuit.
Our 220V Phillips one is rated at 1425w.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 am

Yes, the worldwide nature of marketing means that a US 110V/15A power limit tends to be standard for small appliances, and the ability of European 220V/13A circuits to provide twice that power goes mostly unused - some kettles and room heaters to cater to the British taste for tea in the cold and damp being the exception. I got a 1500W inverter for my yacht after testing all my domestic appliances and discovering everything could run off that.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ian16th » Tue May 21, 2019 11:56 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 am
Yes, the worldwide nature of marketing means that a US 110V/15A power limit tends to be standard for small appliances, and the ability of European 220V/15A circuits to provide twice that power goes mostly unused - some kettles and room heaters to cater to the British taste for tea in the cold and damp being the exception. I got a 1500W inverter for my yacht after testing all my domestic appliances and discovering everything could run off that.
Not to mention 60c/s and Never The Same Colour TV!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by G-CPTN » Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 am

Wasn't there (in the UK) an edict that limits the power of heated appliances such as hairdryers (and kettles) to 'save energy' ? - which, of course, is irrelevant if you want to boil a given quantity of water.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#20 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue May 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Just checked out the Philips one which seems be rated the best. Yes indeed seems to be 1.4. Perfect. Now the question is how to get one. Amazon are out of stock.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.