General Chit Chat
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Air Fryers

#21 Post by ian16th » Tue May 21, 2019 12:03 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 am
Wasn't there (in the UK) an edict that limits the power of heated appliances such as hairdryers (and kettles) to 'save energy' ? - which, of course, is irrelevant if you want to boil a given quantity of water.
I believe that it was an EU directive.

One result has been the apparent demise of upright vacuum cleaners, with a reasonable quantity of suck!
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by G-CPTN » Tue May 21, 2019 12:18 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:01 pm
Just checked out the Philips one which seems be rated the best. Yes indeed seems to be 1.4. Perfect. Now the question is how to get one. Amazon are out of stock.
Isn't there a Comet warehouse (or equivalent) on the island?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#23 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:18 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:01 pm
Just checked out the Philips one which seems be rated the best. Yes indeed seems to be 1.4. Perfect. Now the question is how to get one. Amazon are out of stock.
Isn't there a Comet warehouse (or equivalent) on the island?
=))

Don't even know when the electric shop is open. A friend bought an oven there years ago and it was broken. He wouldn't give him his money back just gave him credit in the shop.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by ian16th » Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 pm

How long will you have at Jan Smuts/Joburg Intl/O R Tambo Airport on your way back to Bots?

There is a Makro 7.4km from there.
Cynicism improves with age

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Alisoncc » Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm

My new Tefal is rated at 1.5 kw. Actually uses 1.1 kw when going flat chat. Cooked a chicken dinner for two in 35 minutes. That's two good size chicken haunches - drumstick, thighs, etc. plus roast potatoes and roast carrots. Neighbour brought in a home made pizza to try out. Beautiful crisp base without overcooking or burning the top. Reckon it would be a superb backup for when your solar oven isn't solaring, Ex-A.

Basket size is important. Within reason the larger the better. You can add different components of a meal during a cooking cycle, but you need room to do so. Fish and chips for two needs sufficient space so all gets cooked to be served hot together.

John Hill asked what was the difference between an air fryer and a conventional fan-forced oven. Because there's lots more metal involved a conventional oven can require up to 30 mins pre-heating before cooking starts, staying hot for hours after use, and generally has far less control over the temperature. My air fryer does what it does far more efficiently. It heats up fast, cools off fast and contains the heat around the food. From what I've read you can cook anything in an air fryer that you can cook in an oven - cakes, pies, quiche's, even souffle's.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

#26 Post by Capetonian » Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm

I believe that it was an EU directive.
Only the EU could come up with such a hafwitted idiotic edict.

johngreen
FO
FO

#27 Post by johngreen » Wed May 22, 2019 6:59 am

John Hill asked what was the difference between an air fryer and a conventional fan-forced oven.
Oooops. John might not like that suggestion. 'Twas me!

Thanks for the responses though. These new fangled devices sounds quite interesting, as much as I do prefer things to be as basic and simple as possible. I shall look out for a suitable bargain to test...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#28 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 am

ian16th wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 pm
How long will you have at Jan Smuts/Joburg Intl/O R Tambo Airport on your way back to Bots?

There is a Makro 7.4km from there.
2 hrs in transit and will be too busy with fizzy stuff.

Trying to get one to here failing that we have a SA friend in Bots who sells kitchen equipment. He may be able to get us one.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Wodrick » Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Try Amazon.de who will no doubt deliver to \Greece, you can then hand carry to Bottie.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#30 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu May 23, 2019 9:40 am

Wodrick wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 pm
Try Amazon.de who will no doubt deliver to \Greece, you can then hand carry to Bottie.
Thanks Wodders, they do indeed have the right one in stock. The problem is we won WWII so I do not speak German. But we do have folk here who do.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Wodrick » Thu May 23, 2019 9:43 am

The .de web site speaks english little change thingy up at the top

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Wodrick » Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am

It is sometimes cheaper too.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#33 Post by unifoxos » Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 am

From what I've read you can cook anything in an air fryer that you can cook in an oven - cakes, pies, quiche's, even souffle's.

SWMBO used to do Spag Bol. (The sauce, not the pasta). Start off adding the meat and onions, give it x minutes and then add carrots, x minutes and peppers, x minutes and tomato puree and chopped toms, x minutes and mushrooms. Garlic and herbs went in at the start also IIRC.

Also, similarly, chilli con carne, and curries. One of my favourites is roasted new baby potatoes. She got many ideas from a book "Hot Air Frying" that she found in her stocking one Christmas. One of the big benefits is most recipes only leave one pan (the one out of the machine, non-stick) to clean afterwards, and the stuff doesn't burn and stick to the bottom like in a conventional pan. It uses less leccy than one ring on my leccy hob.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#34 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am

Wodrick wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:43 am
The .de web site speaks english little change thingy up at the top
Thank Wodders. Sorted. 150 quid for the two person one including delivery. Delivery is always an interest. It could be dumped anywhere but should get to us eventually. Once had a mobile phone thrown off the ship onto the jetty. Someone saw our name on it, took it and gave it to us the next time we saw them.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Alisoncc » Thu May 23, 2019 11:17 am

Which model did you order Ex-A?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#36 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu May 23, 2019 11:35 am

This one. Top reviews and for just two. 1.4 Kws. Will report back in 2 months.
https://www.amazon.de/Philips-HD9220-20 ... pons&psc=1

JimR
ATPL
ATPL

#37 Post by JimR » Fri May 24, 2019 3:13 pm

I love our air fryer. It's the Philips 9240 which I think is a bit bigger than the 9220. I must admit I'm not sure I would like the smaller one since ours sometimes gets a bit full. It cooks great etc, etc. cannot complain at all in this area. Big BUT, it's a pain in the a... to clean. I find a scrubbing brush is good for the bottom grid, but I'm afraid the teflon coating on the rest is suffering. The 9220 seems to have a slightly different design which maybe makes the cleaning easier (don't know). As well grease can accumulate in the fan area, so sometimes needs to be wiped out to stop grease dripping on the food. I also bought a grill thingy for cooking steaks which works great (easier to clean as well).

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat May 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Look what indecision cost me! Yesterday Mrs C16 and I debated a Tefal ActiFry 2-in-1 on Amazon at £169.99. RRP with them shown as £299.99 which is what it is on sale for at Lakeland. 24 hours later and Amazon now want £199.99. It's put us off the whole idea now..... :((
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#39 Post by k3k3 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:02 am

Clear your cookies and try again in the early hours.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Alisoncc » Sun May 26, 2019 12:11 am

Similar happened here C16. I bought the Tefal EY401D, discounted to AU$166 from AU$199 just for a few days. Fortunately I bought it then. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but being 9" in diameter makes superb pizza for one. Simple dough of plain flour, salt, baking powder and water. Wrap in cling film and leave in fridge for 30 mins. Roll out, partially cook in Tefal, and then add all the toppings. Magic.

Alison