General Chit Chat
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Air Fryers

#41 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:14 pm
Look what indecision cost me! Yesterday Mrs C16 and I debated a Tefal ActiFry 2-in-1 on Amazon at £169.99.....24 hours later and Amazon now want £199.99....
Well, what a surprise! Had a quick look on Amazon just now and a third party retailer has it available for £160.00, £9.99 cheaper than Amazon's cheapest price. I ordered it quickly, arriving Thursday.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#42 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed May 29, 2019 11:09 am

According to DHL tracking ours is on the island. Goodness knows where. It is not at the taverna. Certainly not at our house. Probably at the shop in the small square. We will get it eventually.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#43 Post by k3k3 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:30 pm

How will you test it?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by OFSO » Wed May 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Never go back for a second look at a product from the same device using an unsecured browser. Algorithms spot your interest and raise the price. Hence the popularity of StartPage or DuckDuckGo.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:14 pm
Look what indecision cost me! Yesterday Mrs C16 and I debated a Tefal ActiFry 2-in-1 on Amazon at £169.99. RRP with them shown as £299.99 which is what it is on sale for at Lakeland. 24 hours later and Amazon now want £199.99. It's put us off the whole idea now..... :((
CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm
Well, what a surprise! Had a quick look on Amazon just now and a third party retailer has it available for £160.00, £9.99 cheaper than Amazon's cheapest price. I ordered it quickly, arriving Thursday.
It never arrived on Thursday. Said they'd sent the wrong one and recalled it mid delivery. Promised a tracking reference and the correct one on Friday. Never arrived. On Saturday I gave them until 1700 Monday to provide a tracking reference and confirmation it was on its way. Never heard back from the seller. On Sunday afternoon Amazon cancelled the order themselves and amazingly the full £160 was showing back in my credit card account that same evening.

I'm impressed with Amazon's monitoring and response. The seller obviously never had the item in stock. They will not be pleased with my public feedback!

Now just waiting for Amazon to drop the price again - it's been up and down from £169 to £199 over the past week or so.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#46 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:22 am

Now worked out that can't get it into hand baggage. Will have to courier it. Makes it even more expensive.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#47 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 am

Why not check it in as hold baggage? Properly packaged and protected it should be fine. I would get an old suitcase of some kind and stick it in there, protected with clothing, newspaper, or even bog rolls.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#48 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 am

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 am
Why not check it in as hold baggage? Properly packaged and protected it should be fine. I would get an old suitcase of some kind and stick it in there, protected with clothing, newspaper, or even bog rolls.
My dear chap we do not get involved with hold baggage. There is not a chance in hell of it making MUB from ATH. It will get lost at JNB. It is already in it's delivery box well padded. Interesting the courier charges on size not weight. Must post some of our gold bars to Bots.

Capetonian

#49 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 am

I can't speak for southbound but I've been sending stuff this way ex-ZA and never had a problem apart from the odd broken bottle of vino.

Only ever had anything nicked once and that was when they checked my bags to CAI instead of ALC (long story, won't bore with details) and the thieving gippo scum nicked a portable typewriter.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Woody » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Any advice on which is the best one, might invest some money soon.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by ian16th » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:11 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 am
I can't speak for southbound but I've been sending stuff this way ex-ZA and never had a problem apart from the odd broken bottle of vino.

Only ever had anything nicked once and that was when they checked my bags to CAI instead of ALC (long story, won't bore with details) and the thieving gippo scum nicked a portable typewriter.
Is there a case for a '
I'll start one anyway.

It will die if there is no demand.
Cynicism improves with age

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05 pm
Totally rapt in my Tefal EY401D Easy Fry Digital Delux Air Fryer. Does everything I could possibly want. Easily cooks perfect crispy bacon and does super chips.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sisemen

#53 Post by Sisemen » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 pm

On the recommendations of this thread I went out and bought one of the Phillips jobbers.

Not impressed. Chips not a patch on what I can do normally etc etc etc.

It took a lot of persuading Mrs S to get one and she indulged me. Now I’m left with egg on my face ‘cos she ain’t impressed either!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by ian16th » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 pm
On the recommendations of this thread I went out and bought one of the Phillips jobbers.

Not impressed. Chips not a patch on what I can do normally etc etc etc.

It took a lot of persuading Mrs S to get one and she indulged me. Now I’m left with egg on my face ‘cos she ain’t impressed either!
Our Phillips one does smashing chips.

But I must admit that its operation is entirely in the hands of SWMBO.
Cynicism improves with age

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 pm

New Snack Treat:

Air fried chickpeas (cooked), light coat of olive oil and season. Tried Hidden Valley Ranch powder and garlic powder.
Yummy

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#56 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:42 am

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 am

No the problem Cape is the transfer at JNB to the MUB flight. 50% of the time the baggage never makes the transfer. The only way to do it is to go through customs and immigration pick up your baggage and go back through again. Not doing it. Then as you know it is painful waiting for your baggage at MUB. It is going courier.

Woody ours is a Philips. No idea how good it is because it is still in the box.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:28 am

Woody wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05 pm
I bought the Tefal Actifry 2-in-1 a couple of weeks ago after a false start with an Amazon third party supplier who messed me around and who eventually failed to deliver. Amazon were superb in sorting it out and getting my money back. The 2-in-1 refers to it having a lower bowl and an upper tray. Chips are really superb - so far I've only used frozen oven chips so no oil is added. They are crisp on the outside and fluffy inside. I've used it also for burgers and a breakfast of bacon, sausage, mushrooms and egg. They suggest you put the egg in a ramekin on the tray but it didn't really work for me so next time I'll do the fried egg conventionally. I've also successfully done a beef stroganoff - everything went in the Actifry apart from the rice. Mrs C16 was impressed and that surprised me! Fish and chips for two was also successful.

It says it will do a meal for six. Very optimistic I would say!

It's quite odd setting the cooking times. There is no temperature control as such, just icons for meat, poultry and fish. As an example, using frozen oven chips and frozen breaded haddock, the chips takes about 30 minutes from cold and the haddock about 20 minutes. The total cooking time is set at 50 minutes. Then the 2-in-1 button is set for 20 minutes. The chips cook in the bowl - which rotates and flips the chips around continuously and after 30 minutes a pinger sounds. The top tray is now added with the fish in it - no added oil - and it cooks for 20 minutes. The chips remain in the lower bowl. The odd thing is that the top tray now revolves but the lower bowl now does not.

Over all I'm happy with the beast. It takes time to get used to it and I'm not yet convinced about the longevity of the anti-stick properties of the lower bowl. Time will tell whether I'm right or not. The cookbook that comes with the machine looks substantial but on opening it is apparent it's written in four languages. There do not appear to be any 2-in-1 specific recipe books on the market - they are all for the original Actifry which has the bowl only. The 2-in-1 is expensive even with offers which are around sometimes. I certainly would not pay full price for it - it's an inflated figure so that substantial 'discounts' can be applied. Target price £169.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 pm

My main use is roast vegies. Typically butternut pumpkin/squash, sweet potato, carrots and potatoes. Cut up into small lumps, dip in EVOO and place in device. It's winter down here, so whether it's steak, sausages, chicken haunch. whatever, roast vegies to accompany. Do the occasional pizza plus fish and chips. Oh! Also cooked Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie successfully -still in it's tin minus lid.

Alison

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Woody » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:58 pm

Oh! Also cooked Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie successfully -still in it's tin minus lid.
That settles it :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Another fan of snake and sydney. Yum.