Air Fryers

General Chit Chat
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Air Fryers

#121 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Chippies, simples. Cut up raw potatoe in chip sized pieces. Lay out on paper towel or similar with same on top, and press down to dry surfaces. Dip individually in cooking oil and place in AF tray. Insert tray, set temp to 180 degC and timer to 20 mins, and switch on. After 12 min move chips around with wooden spoon and reinsert. When 20 mins up check chips for taste, etc. Want more chips arrange in trellis like layers, 4 or five layers deep.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#122 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 pm
On the recommendations of this thread I went out and bought one of the Phillips jobbers.

Not impressed. Chips not a patch on what I can do normally etc etc etc.

It took a lot of persuading Mrs S to get one and she indulged me. Now I’m left with egg on my face ‘cos she ain’t impressed either!
Sisemen, just had our first frog fries in the Phillips gadget. Almost the same process as Alison recommends. Superb. Brown and crunchy. We got two recipe books with the thing, went for the more complicated one. The potatoes were not ideal but only ones available, sort of large new potatoes. Didn't bother peeling them. Advised to cut them 1.20 cms wide. Actually got out the ruler. Soak for 30 min in cold water. Dry with kitchen towel. Toss in olive oll. Pre heat the gadget to 160 degs then put in for 18 mins. Take out and shake the little bastards. Turn up to 180 degs and shove them back in for 6 mins, shake the bastards again and back in for another 6 mins. Prefect result. I'm sure that they would be even better with King Teds.

If you are on solar turn everything else off including your night light. It wallops the system.
Attachments
frog fries.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#123 Post by ian16th » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Can we please have the calculation of the net cost per chip?
Cynicism improves with age

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Jeez Ex-A, that sounds awfully complicated. Couldn't you just pop down to the chippie? =))

I am more into squidgy chips, not crisp. Foreign muck.

Cold Winter's evening with brief flurries of snow, waiting for bus, fish and chips wrapped in multiple layers of paper. Do not unwrap, but tear one side end of wrapping to enable easy access. Hot chips all moulded together with fish, salt and malt vinegar, in a mass of scrumptiousness. Still sufficiently hot to burn fingers. These are proper chips.

Alison

Capetonian

#125 Post by Capetonian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:43 pm

No, that's awful, what we call slap tjips in ZA. Slimy, vinegary, floury. Just awful.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#126 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:50 pm

ian16th wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 pm
Can we please have the calculation of the net cost per chip?

Ian, I was just about to calculate that but we have another dead cow problem. What do you think, about 20 chips so that would be 25 Euro per chip at current production rate. This does not include the cost of the spuds. Pretty upmarket chips. ^:)^
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#127 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:54 pm

No, that's awful,
What would Yarpies know about proper chips anyway? There was a half-way decent chippie in Hillbrow way back. The prop. would drive out to Jan Smuts daily to collect used newspapers from the BA desk. Quite likely to find fish and chips wrapped in yesterdays Times or Screws of the World.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:42 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 pm
If you are on solar turn everything else off including your night light. It wallops the system.
Don't know about Philips but I actually measured the power utilisation of my Tefal when I quoted:
Alisoncc wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm
My new Tefal is rated at 1.5 kw. Actually uses 1.1 kw when going flat chat.
Which means it's drawing less than 5 amps for twenty minutes. Can save power as not necessary to warm up before use as they heat up very quickly. Experiment with the different stages of cooking times. I only do 20mins at 180 degC, flipping the chips half way through. Initially leaving plenty of space between the individual chips, building them up trellis fashion.

Alison

Capetonian

#129 Post by Capetonian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:08 am

Now for something really revolting on the topic of chips, there's poutine, beloved for some reason by French Canadians, a glutinous mass of soggy chips covered in congealed gravy and some sort of cheesy substance. Slap tjips any day in preference to that, even greasy chips from a Lowestoft takeaway wrapped in the Guardian.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#130 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:13 am

Actually I have just had a look at the power of the gadget. They said 1.4 Kws. It is almost smack on. The inverter takes a tad and a couple of transformers for lights plus fridge gives 1.6 Kws total. The output before the fryer was the pool pump.
Attachments
Fryer.jpg
Fryer.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 278 times

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:36 pm

We live near Isaac Newton's manor house. Last year we saw a smart power device. It was a small dynamo type generator. You pulled a cord, 5-6 feet long, and a stone weight then pulled the cord and through the highly geared dynamo powered a light bulb. Intended to provide light 'at the drop of a stone'. I don't know what power could be created using a heavier stone of more gearing.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#132 Post by llondel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:49 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:36 pm
We live near Isaac Newton's manor house. Last year we saw a smart power device. It was a small dynamo type generator. You pulled a cord, 5-6 feet long, and a stone weight then pulled the cord and through the highly geared dynamo powered a light bulb. Intended to provide light 'at the drop of a stone'. I don't know what power could be created using a heavier stone of more gearing.
Total energy available is mgh (mass x 9.81 x height) so double the mass of the stone and you get twice as much. More gearing on its own won't help, that would just burn up the available energy faster or slower. This assumes the stone is not so heavy that the cord snaps.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#133 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:16 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:49 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:36 pm
Total energy available is mgh (mass x 9.81 x height) so double the mass of the stone and you get twice as much. More gearing on its own won't help, that would just burn up the available energy faster or slower. This assumes the stone is not so heavy that the cord snaps.
Energy yes, but that is potential energy. To translate that to kinetic and power the dynamo you would surely need velocity? The gearing would regulate the rate of conversion?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#134 Post by llondel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes, you could have 5W for 10 minutes or 10W for 5 minutes with a given rock, ignoring losses in the gear train. I was thinking that for a light bulb you generally want it to keep going for a period rather than have a brief, bright flash, so you'd want to increase the total available energy, not just power.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:04 pm

In the actual example we were encouraged to pull the cord to allow the electricity to be generated. The suggestion was to allow a child to do home work in a hut with no electrics.

There are obviously alternatives such as solar powered storage but that can run out. Or Bayliss style wind up torches, but this example powered a tungsten bulb. Unlike a wind up the effort required to regenerate the gravity one was minimal.

I was surprised however at its cost - IRO £60 but I guess if mass produced and charity funded it would be effective.

But returning to our air fryer, just what would be needed to cook chips?

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#136 Post by jimtherev » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm

How about harnessing your mammoths into a treadmill?
... or a conveyor belt?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#137 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am

First catch your mammoth. Wouldn't two be overdoing it?

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#138 Post by Ibbie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:50 am

Aldi are selling air fryers for €49.99 from 16 Oct. Quig, their own brand I think..

Think I may invest in one.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#139 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:01 am

Ibbie wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:50 am
Aldi are selling air fryers for €49.99 from 16 Oct. Quig, their own brand I think..

Think I may invest in one.
As it’s our Wedding Anniversary next month, might treat MrsWoody to one :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Sisemen

#140 Post by Sisemen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Almost brand new Phillips Air Fryer for sale. Mistaken purchase on recommendation of some dodgy characters on a website. Offers?