Air Fryers

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: Air Fryers

#81 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:52 am

Printing off your own invoice has helped me out of tricky situations a couple of times when importing business documentation. In one case, in Colombia, I had some rubber stamps made and smudged them over the the invoice, which had been folded and unfolded many times to make it look worn.

In South Africa, a few banknotes did the trick!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#82 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Woody, dear chap, it is no worse than Greece. I have a watch on it's way down your way (unless you have left) for service in Cape Town from Greece. They will not send a watch from here. Courier in Greece today said I have to provide more information as UPS don't recognise the address. I know for a fact that it is on its way by tracking and the watchmaker is in communication with UPS. Seen the e-mails.

When we moved here everyone said you will not cope with living in Africa. Try a small Greek island. They chuck your courier delivery off the ship onto the jetty. Someone there at 02.00 in the morning picks it up and gives it to you next time you see them. Had it happen with a mobile phone and a printer. Also many other things come with our courier who will obviously not walk up a mountain to us so just leaves it in a local pub or shop. No signature of delivery. It takes so long to get things there I have twice demanded a replacement and got two.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ribrash

#83 Post by ribrash » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:46 pm

If anyone has access to a Lidl store they are selling Salter Airfryer's for £39-99.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#84 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:28 am

ribrash wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:46 pm
If anyone has access to a Lidl store they are selling Salter Airfryer's for £39-99.
Could probably get 10 for what we have finally paid. :-o
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 am

Ex-Ascot, we had a postie in UK, never troubled us for a signature of extra postage. If we were out he would lob parcels under a lean to (over a high, locked gate.

One holiday (that thing civvies have and retired Servicemen discover) we returned to find a soggy card board box that had fallen short. A piece of free electronics inside with an LCD display (I know, like AC current) and emphasis on the liquid; it was full of water. Remarkably once dry it worked.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:17 am

I keep thinking of a service like the Flying Doctors in Australia, only of a religious nature, where Air Friars would arrive by Fieseler Storch at some remote station to hatch, marry or dispatch.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#87 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:24 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:17 am
I keep thinking of a service like the Flying Doctors in Australia, only of a religious nature, where Air Friars would arrive by Fieseler Storch at some remote station to hatch, marry or dispatch.
Yep we have flying priests here. They go to the camps and hold church services. Very popular here as you can imagine. The flying nurses not so. They go and jab the staff up for various diseases. Well, the ones that they can catch.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#88 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm

The Air Fryer has cleared customs here :YMPARTY: Only 10 days in customs. Hopefully it will get here in time for our Thursday town day. This is going to be the most expensive Air Fryer in the world.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#89 Post by k3k3 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:10 pm

Once you have your fryer you could invite people from the Flying Friar and Frying Doctor services to try it out.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#90 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:55 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:10 pm
Once you have your fryer you could invite people from the Flying Friar and Frying Doctor services to try it out.
Not sure about the Flying Friar do not know him but certainly know the flying doctors and the pilot whom I helped to get a job here about 7 years ago. He has been to our house a few times. On tracking it still says cleared customs but no ETA Maun.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by Woody » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm
The Air Fryer has cleared customs here :YMPARTY: Only 10 days in customs. Hopefully it will get here in time for our Thursday town day. This is going to be the most expensive Air Fryer in the world.
This is almost as exciting as The Chair :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#92 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:57 am

Woody wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:57 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm
This is almost as exciting as The Chair :-o
30/07/2019 Arrived at Delivery Facility in GABORONE - BOTSWANA GABORONE - BOTSWANA 13:50
They then must have chucked it straight on a jet to MUB. Phone call 17.30. come and get it. Must say always been very impressed with DHL. They lost a letter for 24 hrs once. No *****. Sorry Sir it slipped down the back of a filing cabinet in Gabs.

Town day tomorrow.

Capetonian

#93 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:19 am

Here's a game you could play.

Just before you return to Amorgos, contact DHL and advise them due to the delay, the fryer is no use to you, therefore it needs to be returned to your address in Greece.

Just before you next return to Bots, contact DHL and advise them due to the delay in sending it to Greece, the fryer is no use to you, therefore it needs to be returned to your address in Botswana.

Ad infinitum. See how many times you can get it shipped FoC. Then you will always have the use of the fryer wherever you are, albeit with a few gaps.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#94 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 pm

Good idea Cape but slight glitch, we do not have leccy in Greece.

Just had a panic e-mail from our courier on Amorgos:
GOOD MORNING,THEY INFORMED ME THAT THE PACKAGE IS STILL AT THE OFFICE, PLEASE GO AND TAKE IT BECAUSE THEY WILL SEND IT BACK.THANK YOU VERY MUCH, MARINA VEKRI
They have obviously sent an automatic arrival message to her. It was supposed to take 4 days it has taken 3 weeks. She is assuming it has been in their office for over two weeks. She don't know Africa. =)) South Pole would have been faster. Also in Maun many people disappear into the bush for months. They would hold it for us for ages.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#95 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:51 am

The saga continues, no frogs involved just NRs. Far prefer the latter. Frogs are totally undesirable, NRs are just NRs and some charmingly inefficient. Turns out they sent from Gabs to our courier lady on Amorgos this:
No DHL 7459205460 Telephone on +267 37 05700, +267 391 2000 or +267 71 398433
she read this as we hadn't picked up this consignment 'No.' And anyone criticising me for giving out the number, you try to come here and obtain it.

It is still in Gaborone. This call to pick it up from Maun was from Gaborone. E-mail to Amorgos saying: NO xxxxxxx was from Gaborone.

Went into the office here this morning and she is chasing it up. Including carriage to Greece we paid Amazon about £120. The courier to here from Greece was twice that. The tax office here wants £120 import tax which should be 12%. When it arrives the tax office gives DHL papers to take to them to pay the tax before DHL can release it to us. The invoice from Amazon is in the box. I think that I can persuade the lady here to give me access to the box. I think that someone has got the decimal point in the wrong place.

Stand by. :-o

Capetonian

#96 Post by Capetonian » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:50 pm

It does seem to be on its way, or perhaps, not on its way would be more accurate, to becoming the most expensive air fryer in history.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#97 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:50 pm
It does seem to be on its way, or perhaps, not on its way would be more accurate, to becoming the most expensive air fryer in history.
Yes Cape. At least it is in the right country in Africa, we think. It is closing in. B-) As said before it better be bloody good when it, if it, arrives. Who started this thread to get us involved with this now jolly expensive thing. We request that admin bans the person who started it. Not cricket.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Thank God for ground crews. This air fryer saga is indicative of the drama that ensues when you get machine operators trying to organise logistics. It's quite scary. ;)))

Alison

PS. My apologies Ex-A for not making a No 2 (FO) available, and a dozen checklists for all stages of acquiring said device. :| :-$
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sisemen

#99 Post by Sisemen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:02 pm

I refer you to the comment made earlier!
Sisemen wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 pm
On the recommendations of this thread I went out and bought one of the Phillips jobbers.

Not impressed. Chips not a patch on what I can do normally etc etc etc.

It took a lot of persuading Mrs S to get one and she indulged me. Now I’m left with egg on my face ‘cos she ain’t impressed either!

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Sise, I can only assume you were playing truant when we did air fryers at Hogwarts. ;)))

Whilst it does nothing extra that a top of the range fan-forced kitchen oven does, the upside from my perspective is that I don't have to heat, and maintain the heat, of a large metal box with accoutrements to cook a relatively small amount of food. Just because a person has lots of energy resources available doesn't mean they should be used. With the Ex-A's power limitations (off the grid), an air fryer should be a welcome addition to their kitchen.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)