Any animal killers here?

General Chit Chat
EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Any animal killers here?

#441 Post by EA01 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:35 am

What a sickening photo of the couple kissing in front of the Dead Lion....

Let's be clear here I do not have a 'pet' as such other than my fish, that would die if I let it go, or would become an introduced pest species perhaps. My 'Loris' are literally 'Free as birds' come and go as they please.....I do not care for the hassle of keeping a dog or a cat and when I have to touch one I ensure my hands are washed very very well., I think animals are dirty. Does not mean that I do not very much appreciate them though.

No surprises at all something as barbaric as de boning a partially alive Tiger is something the Chinese would enjoy...

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#442 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:36 am

I must admit that it never ceases to amaze me that some Gun owners can be such inept shots!! ~X( My late Father had a saying about some; "Couldn't hit a bulls arse with a handful of wheat!"

I state here and now that I am a Firearms owner, collector and shooter, target shooting regularly with both rifles and pistols.
I do have a hunting licence but have not hunted for quite a few years. However, when I did with the exception of Feral Animals that needed culling, I only ever shot that which I could and did eat!

In places like that which the Ex-Ascots are residing I accept that there may be legal hunts of Elephants, Lions etc, but I would never ever take the opportunity if offered.

And I'm not too bad a shot btw. Shot a *'possible' at 600 yards recently.

*All 10 scoring shots in the bullseye, 4 of them in the 'super center' of the target.

And I'm not too bad with a 9mm Pistol either. Can generally put a 'double tap' in about a 2" spacing.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#443 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:40 pm

National Park Service looking for volunteers to kill bison at the Grand Canyon

https://www.azfamily.com/news/national- ... _id=667576

GRAND CANYON, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -- The National Park Service (NPS) is looking for volunteers to kill bison on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park.

According to the Department of the Interior, NPS is concerned about the growth of the bison herd in the area of the North Rim and the impact on park resources such as water, vegetation, soils, archaeological sites. NPS said in a press release, “Reducing the herd size will protect the park ecosystem, resources and values.”

Volunteers interested in reducing the amount of Bison at Grand Canyon should click here. Applications will be accepted for 24 hours beginning at 12 a.m. on May 3 through 11:59 p.m. on May 4. 25 applicants will selected to form the pool, of which 12 volunteers will be chosen using a random lottery system.

Volunteers must meet the following guidelines:

Be U.S. citizens 18 years of age or older with valid photo ID
Have the ability to purchase and pass a background investigation and have no criminal or wildlife violations
Self-certify a high level of physical fitness ability
Have a firearm safety certification and pass a marksmanship proficiency test (3 of 5 shots in a 4-inch circle at 100 yards)
Provide their own equipment, firearm, lodging, food and field dressing supplies. See firearm FAQs.
Be available for the entirety of one of the assigned lethal removal operational periods. Individuals may not participate in more than one: Sept. 20-24, 2021; Sept. 27-Oct 1, 2021; Oct. 18-22, 2021; Oct. 25-29, 2021
Meet all additional requirements listed on the NPS FAQ page and on the application (the application will be available at www.azbisonstewards.com when the application period opens).
Any questions regarding this project should be sent to: grca_bison_info@nps.gov.

PP

Note:
This herd of bison (buffalo) are usually found close to the forest of the Kaibab Plateau which forms part of the North Rim of The Grand Canyon. When they would come down into the open areas between the plateau and the rim of Marble Canyon (the upper part of Grand Canyon National Park) they were fairly easy to spot.
When we could find them in the open while doing air tours of The Canyon the tourists got a bigger kick from seeing the buffalo than seeing The Canyon. :-o :))

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#444 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:44 pm

Volunteers interested in reducing the amount of Bison at Grand Canyon should click here. Applications will be accepted for 24 hours beginning at 12 a.m. on May 3 through 11:59 p.m. on May 4. 25 applicants will selected to form the pool, of which 12 volunteers will be chosen using a random lottery system.

Volunteers must meet the following guidelines:

Be U.S. citizens 18 years of age or older with valid photo ID
Have the ability to purchase and pass a background investigation and have no criminal or wildlife violations
Self-certify a high level of physical fitness ability
Have a firearm safety certification and pass a marksmanship proficiency test (3 of 5 shots in a 4-inch circle at 100 yards)
Provide their own equipment, firearm, lodging, food and field dressing supplies. See firearm FAQs.
Be available for the entirety of one of the assigned lethal removal operational periods. Individuals may not participate in more than one: Sept. 20-24, 2021; Sept. 27-Oct 1, 2021; Oct. 18-22, 2021; Oct. 25-29, 2021
Meet all additional requirements listed on the NPS FAQ page and on the application (the application will be available at www.azbisonstewards.com when the application period opens).

Having evolved opposable thumbs is, I guess, optional, for Murricane applicants.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#445 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:52 pm

>>>>Be available for the entirety of one of the assigned lethal removal operational periods. Individuals may not participate in more than one: Sept. 20-24, 2021; Sept. 27-Oct 1, 2021; Oct. 18-22, 2021; Oct. 25-29, 2021<<<<

=))

They don't even require their gruntie boys in Afghanistan to do that, ferfuxake!

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#446 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 am

Well this is promising news; https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... g-20210502. :-bd

The sooner canned hunting gets canned the better. The only concern is that operators involved in this vile trade will probably find a way to continue either legally or not. :(
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#447 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 am

The sooner canned hunting gets canned the better.
Agreed! :-bd I have always thought that it is a pity the Lions could not be trained to use a 375 H&H. :ymdevil:

Even the 'hunt' up a bit.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#448 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed May 05, 2021 6:24 am

This is an interesting article with some stunning photos. We have never met the Jouberts but have stayed at their lodge here. They were both badly damaged by a buffalo a few years ago and that is to people who know what they are doing in the bush.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... ching.html
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#449 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri May 07, 2021 2:15 pm

A Liechtenstein prince is accused of killing one of Europe's biggest bears
By Jack Guy and Tim Lister, CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/europe/r ... index.html

Updated 6:49 AM ET, Fri May 7, 2021

Arthur, one of Europe's biggest brown bears, is seen in Romania in this 2019 handout photo provided by NGO Agent Green.
(CNN)Romanian authorities are investigating after one of Europe's largest brown bears was allegedly shot and killed by a prince from Liechtenstein.

Prince Emanuel von und zu Liechtenstein -- the 32-year-old nephew of the tiny principality's reigning Prince Hans-Adam II -- is accused of shooting 17-year-old Arthur in March during a hunting expedition.
Prosecutors opened an investigation Thursday on two grounds: The bear's killing was not licensed and some of those involved may not have had weapons permits, according to CNN affiliate Antena 3.
Environmental organization Agent Green believes the prince was granted a four-day hunting permit from the Ministry of Environment to shoot a young female bear that had been attacking farms in Covasna county, Transylvania.

Instead it is alleged that the prince shot Arthur, who lives in a protected area.
Gabriel Paun, the president of Agent Green, said in a statement on the group's website that he didn't understand how the prince could confuse a young bear that had been stealing chickens from a village with the largest male bear that existed in the depths of the forest.
Romania has the biggest bear population in Europe outside Russia and is proud of its ursine heritage.
It outlawed trophy hunting in 2016. However, exceptions are made in extreme cases, such as when a bear has damaged property or threatened human life.
This story has received widespread media attention in the country.
Romanian Prime Minister Florin Citu said media reports were incorrect and Arthur may not be the biggest brown bear in Europe. His response has been widely criticized.
The prince has said "he doesn't want to be involved in this sensitive matter," Antena 3 reports.
Romanians have been bombarding the website of the family's Riegersburg Castle with abuse. Travel review site TripAdvisor says it has temporarily suspended reviews of the castle.

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#450 Post by Woody » Sun May 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Just watching a documentary about this on Channel 5 , I guess that it’s available in many places :-bd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/55122863
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#451 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:26 am

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#452 Post by boing » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:36 pm

For the sake of fairness I must point out that this "holier than thou" attitude is misplaced. Safari hunting was a common activity amongst British colonials, royalty and "celebrities" in the early 20th century. The American hunters are simply a continuation of this twisted bunch. Commercial elephant hunting was almost the sole preserve of Englishmen in this period with elephant kills running into the hundreds per year.

You can claim that we know better now but the peak of British safari hunting was only 100 years ago.

I do not approve of big game hunting but neither do I approve of hyperbolae in journalism. The fact that this lion was found dead 24 hours after it was shot does not mean that the shooter sat there watching it die. What probably happened is that the shot did not kill the lion which then ran into cover and, after a search, it was found there 24 hours later, dead. The implication that someone shot a lion then stood there looking at it for 24 hours until it died is obviously totally ludicrous, it would have been dispatched as soon as possible.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#453 Post by Woody » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:59 am

Well this should put a few of the poachers off :D

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... k-20210905

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#454 Post by k3k3 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:13 pm

I hope the word spreads.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#455 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:49 am

Far better to shoot them on sight as we do here.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#456 Post by Woody » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:00 pm

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#457 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:50 pm

Woody wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:00 pm
Sounds like brilliant news :D

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/americ ... mkWQak4wHE

Yes indeed Woody,

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#458 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Nice trophy wife. :D
Him 76 and her 47.
Just sayin'.

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#459 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:22 pm
Nice trophy wife. :D
Him 76 and her 47.
Just sayin'.

PP
Attachments
2053356386-Lowman-Walton_20Concourse-1.jpg
2053356386-Lowman-Walton_20Concourse-1.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 915 times

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#460 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:43 pm

When is S.A. going to put a stop to this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tarve.html