Any animal killers here?

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Any animal killers here?

#461 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:35 pm

Farmer and vet should be held in the same conditions as the lions had.
:ymsick: X( ~X( [-X :-q

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#462 Post by llondel » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:09 am

If the lions have enough strength, I'd just put the farmer and vet in with the lions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#463 Post by Woody » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:58 pm

Interesting news from Botswana, maybe the Ex-A’s could use a couple for security :D

https://www.news24.com/fin24/economy/af ... s-20211024
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#464 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 am

Woody wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:58 pm
Interesting news from Botswana, maybe the Ex-A’s could use a couple for security :D

https://www.news24.com/fin24/economy/af ... s-20211024
Didn't see that Woody thank you. Don't know what the anti-poaching units are up to. We did have a good record. As far as I know they can still shoot to kill and ask questions later. I still think that the policy of injecting the rhino's horns with cyanide is the solution. A few Chinese less but they will get the message.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#465 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Elephants get revenge from the grave.

Elephant DNA helps authorities make $3.5 million international ivory trafficking bust

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/us/eleph ... index.html

(CNN)DNA evidence helped authorities in the United States and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) seize more than a ton of illegal elephant ivory, rhinoceros horn and pangolin scales in a multimillion dollar trafficking bust.

Two men were arrested last week in Edmonds, Washington, near Seattle, and indicted by a federal grand jury for conspiracy, money laundering, smuggling and Lacey Act violations for trafficking elephant ivory and white rhinoceros horn from the Congo to Seattle, according to a news release from the Justice Department.
Some elephants are evolving to have no tusks as a response to brutal poaching

The men, who are from the Congo, are accused of working with a middleman to smuggle three packages containing 49 pounds of elephant ivory into the US by airfreight last year and a fourth shipment in May that contained about five pounds of rhinoceros horn, the statement said.
A buyer paid $14,500 for the ivory and $18,000 for the horn, the DOJ said. The men also sold 55 pounds of pangolin scales which are used for medicinal purposes in some parts of the world, but did not ship them, the statement said.
Following their arrest, a task force in the Congo seized 2,067 pounds of ivory and 75 pounds of pangolin scales in Kinshasa worth approximately $3.5 million, the DOJ said.

Special Agent in Charge Robert Hammer, who oversees Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) operations in the Pacific Northwest told CNN that DNA analysis conducted at the University of Washington helped investigators uncover this operation.
HSI is the principal investigative arm of the US Department of Homeland Security and was the lead agency in this investigation.
Hammer said they have been working with the school for more than a decade.
The ivory was disguised as ebony wood in an effort to sneak it into the US, authorities say.

Sam Wasser, the co-executive director of the Center for Environmental Forensic Science (CEFS) at the University of Washington, told CNN that data collected from a previous seizure in Africa helped lead to the arrests.
His lab developed a method for extracting DNA from ivory and analyzing it to determine where the elephants came from. They've also been able to get DNA from elephant dung and used that data to create a reference map of different elephant populations in Africa.
"Wildlife populations are separated over space and time and these separated populations accumulate mutations that make them more distinctive from one another, and highly traceable," Wasser said.
That helps investigators determine where the poached ivory comes from, he said.

Elephant ivory still being sold on eBay despite 12-year ban
"We can now tell from a DNA sample where an elephant sample came from, from anywhere in Africa, within 180 miles of its origin," Wasser said.
The center has built up the largest DNA database of seized ivory in the world, with data from 70 seized shipments of a half-ton or more.
"Through analysis conducted by CEFS of the DNA collected during these missions, we are able to identify DNA matches between multiple seizures that otherwise would not have been connected," Hammer said in an email.

Pangolins are the 'world's most trafficked mammal.' This man wants to save them
Wasser said they've found that ivory from individual elephants, such as a left and right tusk, is sometimes seized in separate shipments.
"Whenever that happened, those two seizures always were shipped out of the same port, close in time, and all of the ivory -- when we looked at the origin -- was highly in overlap, which suggests it was the same transnational criminal organization (TCO) moving both shipments," Wasser said.
Being able to connect the different shipments has helped investigators map the criminal groups' activities and work with other countries to stop them.
"This multinational collaborative effort dismantles and disrupts these TCOs where they operate, facilitates prosecutions by host country governments, and provides a road map for HSI to conduct financial investigations into these TCOs and seize their illicit assets acquired through their criminal activity," Hammer said.
That can also prevent other crimes, Wasser said, because the people smuggling endangered animal parts will also ship drugs, weapons, people and other contraband.
The ivory shipped to the United States in this bust had been cut into smaller pieces, painted black, and then mixed in with a shipment of ebony wood in hopes of avoiding detection, according to authorities.
The suspects were arrested on November 3 when they came to the US to allegedly negotiate a larger sale of more than two tons of elephant ivory, a ton of pangolin scales and multiple intact rhinoceros horns, the statement said.
If convicted, they face a maximum of 20 years imprisonment for the smuggling and money laundering charges and five years for the conspiracy and Lacey Act violations, the Justice Department said.

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#466 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:35 am

When ivory trade become illegal in 1989.

I remember ivory being available to buy in Hong Kong.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#467 Post by Wodrick » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:09 am

It's fascinating that tusk-less Elephants are evolving.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#468 Post by k3k3 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:03 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:09 am
It's fascinating that tusk-less Elephants are evolving.
It's no surprise if poachers are concentrating on elephants with large tusks, if they are dead they can't breed and pass on their big tusk genes.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#469 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:26 am

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#470 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:04 pm

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#471 Post by Woody » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:58 am

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#472 Post by Woody » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:09 pm

Quite a while since there’s been any posts on here, but hopefully this is good news :)

https://www.news24.com/news24/world/new ... a-20230125

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#473 Post by Woody » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:45 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#474 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:29 am

Woody wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:45 pm
Still too many, but hopeful signs :D

https://www.news24.com/fin24/companies/ ... s-20230206
Very encouraging, however, the other day I saw a report saying that rhino killings are on the rise in Namibia. :(
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#475 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:01 am

Last year, 132 people were arrested for rhino poaching, while 26 rhino horn traffickers were arrested and 13 people for money laundering and bribing of rangers.
IMHO, the above should read "Last year, 132 people were shot dead for rhino poaching, whilst 26 rhino horn trafficers were trampled to death by angry Rhinos and 13 people were sentenced to life in prison for money laundering and bribing of rangers." X(

Vengeful? Who...me??? o:-)
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#476 Post by Woody » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:30 pm

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#477 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:38 pm

Woody wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:30 pm
Should we have a whip round ? ;)))
Will it be a Rhino whip?

Ooooh! Matron!

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#478 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:33 pm

Did something I haven't done for months for lunch, I bumbled down to the local greasy spoon, and, over lunch fell into conversation with a Romanian electrician, working over here in the UK. Articulate, smiling, charming and well educated, unlike most of his British colleagues, he showed me some snaps of the beautiful, large house he is building in a forest back home on the shores of a lake that might be straight out of the a photo of the Lake district here, without the people. He is a hunter, but clearly a man who hunts in harmony with that environment, and who clearly loves and respects nature and looks for a balance in his life. He was a revelation and left me happier all afternoon for my meeting with him.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#479 Post by G~Man » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:29 pm

UNfortunatley, have an animal killer on my street 3 doors down......

My cat and their cat get into loud arguments with the occasional small figh, (never any injuries), over territory.

Saturday, my immediate neighbor asked if I had seen "Piglet" my cat in the last hour, I had not, 30 minutes later, she brings Piglet home in her arms. Piglet cleaarly injured, cannot stand, acan barrely breathe etc, and says she thinks the neighbor kid 3 doors down shot her.

Take her to the emergency vet, oxygen, X-rays, pain meds, O2 incubator....... Entry wound on right side, pellet lodged on left side.

It went through both lungs, hence all the white streaking in x-ray which is blood

IMG_1642 (1).jpg
She stayed in incubator thru Sunday mid-day whenm she could breathe outside if it, had to have bllod transfusion last night, still at vets under supervision right now.

Confronted the mother of 15 year kid, who said "I told him to do it"...."But I did not know it was your cat", claims she awoke from a nap to hearing cat fight and told her son to "do somethingabout it". He shote 3 times, my cat was seen runnning away, he then shot 3 more times. No remorse.

The kid is "homeschooled" lacks social skills as his Mother will not lett him play with other kids on the street. She started a "Christian Charter School" last year and has her plus two teachers now teaching kids privately.

Different kind of christians I guess......Oh and not that is should bear any significance, she is highly active in the various political rallies around town..... You guessed it.....full on Trump.

Animal control refuse to do anything as have local police.....I may try again with them as I found a city ordinance against firing weopand within city limits......

Still [retty fresh, will keep all updated...
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#480 Post by Karearea » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:32 pm

I'm so sorry that happened. G~Man.
Very best wishes to Piglet (I had a cat whose nickname was Piglet...) and confusion to the enemy.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."