Any animal killers here?

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: Any animal killers here?

#361 Post by Capetonian » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:07 am

Barbaric French :
Slaughter of the songbirds: the fight against France's 'barbaric' glue traps

French hunters claim tradition justifies their exemption from EU rules. But with many species endangered, there is growing pressure for a ban

They show robins, blue tits, warblers and finches struggling and dying on glue-sticks or being pulled off and discarded like litter. Last year, LPO activists found a dead kestrel, its wings gummed with glue.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -traps-aoe

Capetonian

#362 Post by Capetonian » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:08 am

And more .........
Eight people have died in hunting accidents in France so far this season, one more death than during the whole hunting season last year.

The government has now raised the alarm as the hunting season still has another three months to run, not finishing before February 2020 (unless extended).

Last year, there were 131 accidents and seven people died, figures from the Office National de la Chasse et la Faune Sauvage (ONCFS) show.

Minister Emmanuelle Wargon has warned over the rise of accidents and written to the president of the Fédération Nationale des Chasseurs asking for a reaction of the hunting world, and telling the departmental hunting federations to remind all hunters of the safety rules.

She added that the law for the reinforcement of safety rules, which was voted in July 2019, has to be implemented across France as soon as possible. The law was supposed to be implemented from January 1, 2020, and includes a mandatory training course for hunters every 10 years.

The last hunting accident happened on Saturday in the Ardennes department. A 59-year-old hunter died after being shot in the abdomen by a fellow hunter.

The president of the Fédération Nationale des Chasseurs, Willy Schraen has now written a letter to hunters following the minister’s warning. He has blamed hunters for the lack of respect of safety rules and told every hunter to think about the rules before going out hunting.

He said in the letter: “Shooting without identifying your game, not respecting the 30 degree angles [hunters are allowed to shoot at an angle of 120 degrees but must not shoot in the 30 degree angular sectors on their left and right], moving in single file with a loaded weapon, forgetting to unload your weapon after hunting, are all mistakes of practice and common sense that should not happen.”

He added that it is “unacceptable” to ignore the rules and asked for hunters to prevent other hunters from hunting if they do not follow regulations.

Director of the Fédération Nationale des Chasseurs, Nicolas Rivet, said: “Eight people died and it’s all because of safety issues. We are conscious of the problem and we want to stop it.”
“We have to remind hunters of the rules and we ask them to be more careful and vigilant.”

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#363 Post by bob2s » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:45 pm

With a hunting record like that,thank Christ they surrendered during the Second World War as no one would of been safe.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#364 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:55 am

https://www.voanews.com/africa/collared ... g-licenses
Foreign hunters will be allocated 200 licenses and allowed to export the trophy.
Unfortunately it seems that you can import ivory into many countries as long as it in not a commercial venture. You can stick Dumbo's head on your office wall as long as you didn't buy it.

Ellies are very sensitive creatures. They will mourn the death of one of their herd for months even years. The other problem we have is that they start to, quite rightly, regard homo sapiens as a threat. This makes them aggressive and they are a bit bigger than us. We have had problems with them in old hunting concessions. Now they are hunting them country wide they are going to get very dangerous. They come past our house. The rule of thumb of make sure you don't surprise them and they know that you are there may no longer apply.

They are justifying the lifting of the hunting ban due to animal human conflict because of the number we have here. I would suggest that this problem is going to get worse.

The reason we have so many ellies here is because they knew that they were safe here. They are very smart. Now they are going to be very pissed off :-o
Attachments
Dumbo.jpg
Dumbo.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 763 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#365 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:00 am

Eddaphants never forget either sah. I will email you a vid of one taking his wrath on some bugger. Not for the squeamish and a bit too gory to publically post here.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#366 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:28 am

Capetonian

#367 Post by Capetonian » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Botswana cancels hunter licenses after cover-up of research elephant killing

Botswana's government has revoked the licences of two professional hunters who shot dead a research elephant and then destroyed its collar to try to hide the evidence.

In a statement late on Saturday, the environment and tourism ministry said that professional hunters Michael Lee Potter and Kevin Sharp had surrendered their licences after shooting the elephant at the end of last month.

Their nationalities could not be immediately established. Potter was banned for an indefinite period and Sharp for three years. Neither hunter was available for comment.

“In addition, the two hunters will replace the destroyed collar,” the ministry said. “The Ministry will work with the hunting industry to ensure that the necessary ethical standards are upheld.”

The shooting recalled the killing of 'Cecil the lion' by an American hunter in neighbouring Zimbabwe in 2015, also an animal that had a research collar and was supposed to be protected. His death provoked outrage on social media.

Botswana President Mokgweetsi Masisi sparked global controversy when he lifted a ban on elephant hunting in May. The ban had been installed five years earlier by his predecessor, Ian Khama, an ardent conservationist.

Africa's overall elephant population is declining due to poaching but Botswana, home to almost a third of the continent's elephants, has seen numbers grow to 130,000 from 80,000 in the late 1990s.

Officials in the southern African country say the animals are causing problems for farmers by ripping up their crops, so hunting is necessary to reduce their numbers.

The mostly arid country the size of France has a human population of around 2.3 million, and its expanses of wilderness draw millions of foreign tourists to view its wildlife.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#368 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:28 pm

The results of the DNA tests from the body of the French woman will not be known until February. 67 dogs have been tested, 5 belonging to the woman and 62 from the hunting pack.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#369 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:33 pm

A Christmas revenge.
Attachments
Hunter.jpg
Hunter.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 692 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#370 Post by Woody » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:43 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#371 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:55 am

I've always hated zoos, now it seems that one zoo owner also hates zoos and wants to see them close; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ivity.html Good on him. :-bd
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#372 Post by Woody » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:25 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#373 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:26 am

Regarding the above, if properly managed it is not entirely bad.

Unlike other countries, Botswana has an overpopulation of elephants, and is the only country where the population has increased. Believing that elephants are highly sentient and intelligent animals, it is very likely that this is because they know they are safe there. Shooting them, and I really object to calling it 'hunting', because it is killing, not hunting, may change that which would be a pity.

Elephants are destructive and resource hungry, and have no natural predators and overpopulation can ultimately become problematic.

This project has started with allowing the killing of 60 elephants at $43000 each. If that money were to be used to improve amenities for local folk (*) then it's well spent. I am totally opposed to the wanton destruction of wildlife particularly when it is for 'sport' or vanity, but because man has interfered with nature, possibly creating the overpopulation of elephants in Botswana as they have migrated, then there may be a case for properly managed control of their numbers. Whether it will be properly managed with the revenue helping towards conservation projects and local community care is another question. Given the innate corruption and greed of African politicians, I have some concerns over that.

(*) Better internet for the Ex-As, for example!)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#374 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:39 am

Yes we knew about this. Copy what Cape says but we still disagree with it. It is even more complicated than the article makes out. These herds are family groups. These hunters/killers will be going for the biggest, the head of the herd. This destroys the family. Also we have visited areas which were hunting concessions. The ellies there are very aggressive towards humans. Start this hunting and we will have very aggressive animals in popular tourist concessions. I will put money on at least one tourist death in the next 12 months. Hopefully even more hunters flattened and trampled to death.

Cape:
Better internet for the Ex-As, for example!
. Unfortunately no. Our satellite is American managed by a S.A. company.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#375 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:46 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:39 am
I will put money on at least one tourist death in the next 12 months. Hopefully even more hunters flattened and trampled to death.
I have no problem with that. If the Ellies get to kill an equal number of hunters, then all will be well.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#376 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Corollary to US 2nd amendment:
I support the right to arm bears.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#377 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:36 pm

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/don ... izzly-bear

Donald Trump Jr. receives permit to hunt Alaska grizzly bear
Posted: 9:02 AM, Feb 25, 2020 Updated: 9:05 AM, Feb 25, 2020
By: The Associated Press
items.[0].image.alt
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The eldest son of President Donald Trump has received a permit to hunt and kill a grizzly bear in Alaska.

Officials said Monday that Donald Trump Jr. was granted the permit to hunt north and east of Nome later this year.

Trump applied for one of 27 licenses designated for out-of-state residents in the Nome area.

Director of Wildlife Conservation Eddie Grasser says the remoteness of the location and the amount of marketing likely figure into the lack of interest.

Non-resident hunters killed 11 grizzlies in the area last year.

Whether we arm bears or not, I'm rooting for them! :ymdevil:

PP

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#378 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:34 am

Teenager's remains found in lion enclosure at Pakistani zoo
Teenager's remains found in lion enclosure at Pakistani zoo.
During a search on Wednesday morning, zoo employees found a blood-soaked skull, some bones and pieces of torn cloth which the relatives recognised as the missing boy's clothing.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51653984

+1 for the lions.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#379 Post by ian16th » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:26 am

Mr Bilal's remains have been sent for tests to confirm the cause of death.
I wonder just what the pathologist will find?
Cynicism improves with age

sidevalve
ATPL
ATPL

#380 Post by sidevalve » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 pm

Deer 1 Hunter 0
:-bd