Any animal killers here?

General Chit Chat
boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Any animal killers here?

#21 Post by boing » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:26 pm

The fatal "Big animals are not really dangerous. Let's get close for a movie".

Youtube "LIONS EAT A MAN IN FRONT HIS FAMILY". I can't provide a direct link since the video is restricted to over 18 years old so you have to sign in with your Google login.
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Ex Ascot

How much do you pay your gardeners and cleaners ?
I bet it is peanuts. Oh, you'll come back and say you pay more than the normal wage.

Are you and Mrs Ex Ascot just lazy, elitist WASPS ?
Why can't you clean your own house and do the garden yourself
or is that something only lower socio economic classes do ?

I know you employ others to get your food for you, what is the difference
if I decide to shoot something, be it a trophy or catch a BIG Fish from the sea ?

Just judging you like you are others.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by boing » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:36 pm

I think that trophy hunters are actually a bunch of prats. However, there are not many of them relatively speaking and I would probably have good reasons for disliking the same people if I knew them for other reasons than their hunting habits. That does not mean that I would stop their hunting regardless of my opinion. Presumably the host countries have ways of milking these people of their money that will benefit the local population and, hopefully, the remaining animals.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:39 pm

boing

I have met some "prats" as you call them and some are like that.

"Presumably the host countries have ways of milking these people of their money that will benefit the local population and, hopefully, the remaining animals."

Yes, more often than not. Many programs exist.

For a start, remove the value of animals to the local population and the animals
will be slaughtered by all and sundry, including poachers.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by boing » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:29 pm

500N
Actually I had never thought to check the official definition of "prat" before, it was always a word we used locally from childhood. Here we go.

"prat" in British English
See all translations
prat noun [C] uk us /præt/ UK informal
› someone who ​behaves ​stupidly or has little ​ability:

He ​looked a ​right prat in that ​pink ​suit.
You've made me ​spill my ​drink, you prat!
Occasionally I'll have a few too many ​drinks at a ​party and make a prat of my​self (= ​behave ​stupidly).

(Definition of prat from the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

The "pink" suit, spilling drinks over a keyboard and occasionally having too many drinks seems to make it a good word to use on this forum. ;) ;)

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#26 Post by obgraham » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:39 pm

I've never really understood the "hunting thing" either. I've spent most all my life in relatively small communities, but not out in the countryside. Most everyone I've known who "hunts" lives similarly, and does it for sport, not for sustenance. I think the old "I eat what I shoot" is just a bunch of hooey.

I like a nice steak, plate of ribs, lamb chop, like the next fellow. Within the purchase price is a fee paid to some Mexican or Cambodian fellow to bonk that animal on the head and slice it up for me.

I recognize the irony of my point of view.

But in most every aspect of life, we employ others to do things for us. Heck, ladies paid me to remove their uteri -- they didn't do it themselves or have a family member do it!

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by boing » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:23 pm

I think the old "I eat what I shoot" is just a bunch of hooey.

Actually not so OB. I have a retired Ozzie friend who stocks the larder for the winter, a Kiwi likewise, both old retirees who hunt rather than buy goop - which is possibly why they are in such good shape because they get exercise as well as good food. Of course, in their counties deer are considered pests so there are no hunting restrictions. Also I have a friend from Kentucky who tells stories of hunting for the family on the way to and from school (left the shotgun in the classroom during the day). He was expected to provide bunnies or ducks when he got home. I expect this still happens in some parts of Appalachia.

It is possible that one of the attractions of hunting is that it proves that one can still feed the family without the help of
some Mexican or Cambodian fellow to bonk that animal on the head and slice it up for me.

Happy SLF

#28 Post by Happy SLF » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Hunting animals for trophy reason is for wimps - hunting humans who can shoot back now that would be more "macho fun"
surely? Why don't those trophy hunters try it in say Syria or Yemen? Now that would really be showing what a man they are.
Whilst I could I am sure shoot an animal under certain circumstances I have never chosen to do so.

Strange as it might sound I love guns, I had a firearms cert in the UK, and that wasn't that easy to get, and kept my rifle
at home. When we lived in Auckland I had a hand made ( by experts ) 7.62 target rifle. That rifle cost me just over NZ$3,500
in 1992.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:41 pm

SLF

You are just happy to pay others to kill animals for you then ?
Unless you are a vegetarian ?

It is illegal to hunt humans, otherwise people would.

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#30 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:20 pm

There's a bunch of people I'd love to hunt...

Most are in Westminster and Washington...
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by boing » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:20 pm

I love these threads because all of peoples fantasies and misconceptions pop out.

Whilst I could I am sure shoot an animal under certain circumstances I have never chosen to do so.

SLF, practicing on a target range is probably the worst training that you can undertake for hunting after you understand the basic use of a rifle. On a target range the target is positioned clear of obstructions, the light is good, it is clearly defined, it does not really matter where you hit it and, best of all it is standing absolutely still. None of this applies to hunting, in fact absolutely the reverse. The target will be in some sort of cover, probably around dawn or dusk when animals feed, you had better hit exactly the right spot or the animal will be injured but escape and, most fun of all, the animal probably will never stay still long enough for you to choose the perfect shot.

You must be one of those people that think hunting is like the Far Side cartoons where the animal stands with a big target drawn on its back!

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Airborne Aircrew wrote:There's a bunch of people I'd love to hunt...

That makes two of us !

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:36 pm

boing wrote:I love these threads because all of peoples fantasies and misconceptions pop out.

Boing
I get the feeling from some comments on the internet that they think shooting an elephant is easy
being such a big target. I don't think they realize to get a good, clean kill the target is not only
very small but damn hard to pick the point of where it is.

Most don't know the anatomy of an Elephants head (honeycomb) either to understand that.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by BenThere » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:49 pm

I can't support the killing of a lion or elephant or rhino. These noble animals are not game. I believe the only justification for hunting a fellow higher mammal is for food. Lower level pests, like rats and racoons, are a different matter.

Sport isn't enough. And if you kill a fellow mammal for food, the proper respects should be paid. It's a matter of respect due for the taking of a sentient being's life.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by boing » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:07 pm

BenThere
Agreed in general. There are however times when needs must.

FO
FO

#36 Post by 6050 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:02 pm

Killing for fun/glory/sadistic pleasure is totally repugnant, a crime against nature. Regrettably some animals do it, but humans should know better by now.

Imposing you moral values on every one else? Its your and my opinion, the difference is I don't condemn them unless its illegal, my values are mine they are neither right or wrong.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:14 pm

In that case I think Joy Ride would want all fishing banned because some do it for fun.

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#38 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:16 pm

Killing for fun/glory/sadistic pleasure is totally repugnant, a crime against nature.

You never owned a cat then? Mine has a ton of fun with the juvenile mice that enter my house in fall... She'll bat it around for a few hours before dispatching it... Then she leaves it for us to clean up...

You seem to think you're so superior to "animals"... You're wrong! You are one... With clothes....

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:24 pm

It is easy to pick holes in all sides of an argument, discussion.

I find the hypocrisy of some the worst - G8, G20, Occupy protesters - who protest capitalism
while wearing Nike Adidas shoes and going to McDonalds straight afterwards !!!

Animal rights - then eat all manner of animals with no regard to where they come from.

AA
As you say, we are animals. Some people still kill elephants with spears, it takes
multiple spears and ages to kill it. I don't see people up in arms over that.

(A spear will not get to the brain (through the honey comb) of an elephant)

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#40 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:20 am

The problem with this whole debate is that people have forgotten what animals are...

I know that on survival exercises I did there were people, friends, that were unable to associate the chicken breast they purchased wrapped in polystyrene and cling film with the chuks they were given to kill, butcher and eat.

All the meat we eat is an animal, period. Because you don't kill it yourself does not separate you from the act of it's killing. You may sanitize yourself by being several steps from it's death but, in the end, you're still a killer.

So, back to the conversation. Unless you are - completely - vegan, you are as responsible for the deaths of far more creatures than all the the trophy hunters have taken in your lifetime. That is a fact and you can't deny it.

Now, as my last question that was summarily ignored about the killing of deer in Ann Arbor because they eat the fancy liberals pretty flowers when the fancy liberals caused the problem in the first place, should I expect this post to be similarly ignored or is there someone out there that can be intellectually honest _and_ be a liberal?