Any animal killers here?

General Chit Chat
Flintstone
Snr FO
Snr FO

Re: Any animal killers here?

#241 Post by Flintstone » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 pm

I'm just getting in to night vision equipment (some of my neighbours really need new curtains). Here's a test video of me not killing something. Some nights I just sit there watching the wildlife go by (and I don't shoot badgers anyway).

Slasher

#242 Post by Slasher » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 am

Who the heck would want to bump off a cute li'l badger anyway? Or even a mushy or snake? :-\

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#243 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 am

We have a badger that has dug under the fence at the bottom of our garden. I filled the badger super highway in and it redug the hole overnight. The animal's presence drives our remaining dog mad.

Clearly I don"t want to shoot the critter but would like to persuade it to abide elsewhere.

Caco

Capetonian

#244 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:13 am

People who 'hate' animals are often very sick individuals. I had an acquaintanceship for some years with a person who hated animals and said he would kill any stray cat or dog that entered his unfenced property! I told him that should he do so I would contact the relevant authorities. We subsequently fell out over our opposing views on Brexit, so no loss there.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#245 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 am

There's an article in our local rag this morning about an otter being found dead in an illegal trap on the town stretch of water. Sad, as otters have recently re-populated the river. Apparently the trap had been set to catch white-clawed crayfish which are an endangered species. This stretch of water has been the scene of many illegal traps set by people who's culture views anything in and on the water as food for the table.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Flintstone
Snr FO
Snr FO

#246 Post by Flintstone » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:19 am

While it's true that American (Red-Claw) crayfish are an invasive species and are decimating the native crayfish anyone can trap them. In the UK though you need permission from the landowner and have to notify the Environment Agency who give the go-ahead if nobody else is already trapping there and there's no record of native crayfish on the site.

But, and here's the point in response to 4mastacker's post, you're supposed to use traps on which the openings are too small for otters to get their heads caught. Clearly some bastards don't play by the rules.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#247 Post by Hydromet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:04 am

You're worried about badgers digging in your garden? Wait until you get one of these mobile speed humps.
Wombat 1.jpg

Slasher

#248 Post by Slasher » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 am

He eats roots shoots and leaves just like you Hydro? ;)))

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#249 Post by Hydromet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:30 am

😃😄😄 o:-)

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#250 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:06 pm

On my river we don't have a problem with the American crayfish and I've never seen an otter on it, but we do have a problem of mink.

I keep chickens and I've had a problem of mink getting into the henhouse and slaughtering the birds for fun. Mink are one of very few animals which kill for sport.

The setting of snares to catch mink is controversial as the rules are written for the legal catching of foxes and rabbits. A well set mink trap may catch an otter and it is specifically illegal to set a trap in such a way as to risk entrapping an otter. There is no easy way around that problem other than to set cage traps. The problem there is that mink are famously wary of such traps and anyway are not carrion eaters so are not particularly interested in bait.

Mink are also a problem for the salmon. Mink will take a salmon, sometimes kill it, and only eat a single bit out of the back of the neck as a trophy. Often they leave the fish flopping around, mortally wounded, on the river bank. Bastards.

I think we need a co-ordinated campaign to rid Britain of mink.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#251 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:33 pm

So I guess the illegal immigrants killing swans and roasting them over a fire of branches pulled off trees down at Richmond doesn't meet with approval. Wish they'd come up and rid Islington of the foxes and grey squirrels. I'd lend them a shake of HP sauce to help the food down.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#252 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Agree UP. They were introduced from the USofA for fur farming and have taken to the wild. But how do you eradicate them?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#253 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm

The first stage is to educate the public as to the necessity.

Then trap and euthanise the vermin.

This was done with Coypu in the 1960s on a local scale. The same thing can be done nationally with mink.

BASC shows the mechanics of the thing.

Doing the same thing with the goddamned Murricane tree rats will be a much bigger public education challenge, but worthwhile.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#254 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:51 pm

We've got mink along our canal. They've decimated the wildfowl and yet the EA and the Canal Trust's ecologist won't do anything to help eradicate them - even to the extent of denying that they are a problem and yet wondering why the water vole population is next to non-existent. But as I don't have an ology, I'm told I don't know what I'm talking about.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#255 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm
Doing the same thing with the goddamned Murricane tree rats will be a much bigger public education challenge, but worthwhile.
Saw a news clip a while back suggesting they are very tasty, and it was quite legal to do so. Going on to say that if everyone capable of catching them were to eat a couple a week the problem would soon be solved. I think there was a restaurant that had them on the menu as a local delicacy.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ribrash

#256 Post by ribrash » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:25 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:51 pm
We've got mink along our canal. They've decimated the wildfowl and yet the EA and the Canal Trust's ecologist won't do anything to help eradicate them - even to the extent of denying that they are a problem and yet wondering why the water vole population is next to non-existent. But as I don't have an ology, I'm told I don't know what I'm talking about.
I remember a few years ago the tree shaggers and bunny huggers released the contents of a mink farm into the wild,somewhere in Shropshire I think.They wiped out all wildlife for miles around.One day while fishing on the Trent and Mersey canal I watched a mink having a go at 2 swans.It got the order of the lead weight via the catapult for its troubles.

Flintstone
Snr FO
Snr FO

#257 Post by Flintstone » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm

I'm in on that. There's a thing called the European Squirrel Initiative which is a cunningly worded plan to kill the greys in the hope that the reds will re-establish themselves. It's going to take a long time to even begin to make a dent.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#258 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 am

Don't think I would hesitate in becoming an animal killer if I found one of these in my house.

https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/news/vid ... _1000k.mp4

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-16/ ... e/10819036
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#259 Post by Hydromet » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:43 am

Wow, that is some python! Glad I was never called to remove one that big. Job well done by the snake handlers.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#260 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Why do they release these snakes?