Any animal killers here?

General Chit Chat
500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Any animal killers here?

#81 Post by 500N » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:37 am

The last cat I shot we just happened to catch its eyes in the Spotlight as we were driving down
a road so the guns were away. It was under a bush eating a parrot it had caught.
Last native fauna it ate !!!

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#82 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:10 am

500N:

There's clearly a disconnect between us and those who don't see things similarly... One wonders why they hold some lives so dear yet would fritter their own on the basis that it's "better" to try the "peaceful" way first.

But that's a philosophical debate that might test their logic...
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by 500N » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:18 am

Most who would have a go at me for shooting cats in Aus would have no understanding of the damage they do.
I would say 99 out of 100 hunters / shooters would pass up a fox to shoot a cat, just because you can always
get a 2nd or even 3rd chance at a fox, cats it is one often fleeting shot and that is it. You are better off not
shooting at a cat unless sure of hitting it because it will never sit in a spotlight again if you miss.
Foxes you can always bait with a meat drag along a road and even the smart one's will follow a trail
to see what free feed is at the other end. Cats won't.

I'll put a story up about the disconnect of city folk in relation to Koala Bears being euthanised because they
were starving and dying. But I will have to find the article that caused the uproar.

Bull at a Gate
FO
FO

#84 Post by Bull at a Gate » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:43 am

Koala Bears??? Koalas are not bears. Most parents of my age can sing the play school song: "Please don't call me a Koala Bear, 'cause I'm not a bear at all..."

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:48 am

A number of years ago there was quite a stink about the excessive numbers of Koalas in one part of SA and it had been noted and recorded that a large number of them were starving to death!

Therefore a cull was suggested, and the huggy fluffies/greens etc went ballistic!!

One of the greenies was cornered by a Journo who had a reasonable grasp of the situation and asked the greenie if he thought it better that the poor animal starved slowly to death rather than an instant death via a well aimed bullet.

The greenie said shooting was inhumane, and that nature should be allowed to take is course; ie let them starve, slowly!!

You really have to wonder at times. X(
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by 500N » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:52 am

Pinky

Wasn't it down the coast of Vic. Many years ago they had moved some Koala's to a Eucalypt plantation from
French Island and they had just bred up so much they ate themselves out of existence.

They were only going to euthanize those that were dying already at the base of the trees but the Greenies
in their infinite wisdom kicked up a stink. And they call shooters cruel !

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 am

That was another instance of the fanatical stupidity of some green leaning groups, 500N.

The events of which I posted occurred elsewhere. And if I recall correctly, such was the reaction by various members of the Public that the greenies suddenly became rather silent.

The cull did not go ahead though. The Koalas were trapped ,humanely mind you :| , and relocated IIRC.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

glad rag
CPL
CPL
Wildfowling and the long retrieve...

#88 Post by glad rag » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:21 am

You set foot on the marsh, you become one with it and the wildlife...

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aNnuPuW4o0[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJwWWU-wegA[/bbvideo]
The sands of time are running low...

Capetonian

#89 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:06 pm

I am giving a plug to a book written by a friend of mine who regularly visits southern Africa and who became involved in 'conservation' only to discover what an evil, cruel, and dishonest con some parts of the industry are. You can read about it on the Spots and Stripes website :
https://www.facebook.com/SPOTS.STRIPES. ... =3&theater

For obvious reasons, it was written under a pseudonym, and I am not going to break any confidences, but the writer is well known to me and is a person of the utmost integrity and bravery.

"I hope the book does well, it was not written for money or self-gratification, but because I feel that I owe it to all the magnificent animals that I came across during the years at the farm.

If you know anyone with an interest in wildlife conservation, do spread the word, please."

BOOK RELEASE - "With the Heart of a Lioness" The "CON" in Conservation A once Volunteers story of Breeding for the Bullet..

In 2013 "Ron Thompson" an ex - "duped" Volunteer in SA provided evidential footage of the abject cruelty involved in the breeding of Lions to name but one that supplied the Canned Hunting Industry that hit SA Screens in the summer of 2013 in SABC's The "Con" in Conservation ..

We are pleased to announce after much anticipation the release of Ron's much awaited book..Ron's primary wish is that "With the Heart of a Lioness" will reach those that are still sadly unaware of the truth behind "volunteering" for the care of cubs and the deception that lies behind that belief of the innocent that they are aiding the survival and conservation of a species..

"With the Heart of a Lioness"

By Ron Thompson

For anyone who is keen on conservation, the opportunity to go and work with big cats and handle and help to rear orphaned cubs to prepare them for release into the wild seems like a dream come true. This is the account of the experiences of one such person, who paid good money for the privilege but became increasingly concerned at the practices observed. Over the course of several visits it became more and more obvious that things were not what they seemed and that far from conserving the species, this was a cynical ploy to make money by providing cannon fodder for the trophy-hunting industry, exploiting the good intentions of the volunteers who came to help care for the animals. -

"With the Heart of a Lioness"
is available to buy from the 14/12/15 from Janus Publishing

http://www.januspublishing.co.uk/produc ... EXxL2.dpuf

We wish Ron Thompson every success

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by BenThere » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:00 pm

That's something I need to consider more. I've previously posted that I have a distaste for the killing of a magnificent mammal, and I retain my revulsion for the killing of rare and endangered species in general, and believe that sport alone is inadequate justification for killing. But I do see the need for culling.

Around here, deer hunting is deeply woven into the culture. Deer populations will grow until they starve unless culled. Deer (and feral pigs) cause a lot of crop damage and take a huge toll of vehicles colliding with them when they venture onto the highways, especially at night. They need the hunters as much or more than the hunters need them.

Capetonian

#91 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm

I have stated earlier that I accept that there is a need for culling of some species, elephants in particular as they are destructive, and foxes in urban areas because they are vermin and can be dangerous.
It is about the manner in which it is done that I have grave concerns, particularly when unscrupulous people are lining their pockets.

Slasher

#92 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Done my fair share of roo culling in my youth with a .243 but I never really
liked it much, despite there being a definite need for it.

The only killing I done since was to shut a neighbor's noisy dog the fcuk up,
and others for either food (ducks etc) or other genuine purpose.

The older I get the more I feel humans are a damn arrogant specie. I know
of no other that kills for sport or enjoyment.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by BenThere » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:14 pm

I think small cats kill mice for sport.

Slasher

#94 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Maybe. But I suspect its an instinctive feline preparation of hunting skills for when they're growed up.

Capetonian

#95 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Cats are nasty things anyway!
We're looking after a little kitten and our stray ginger beast that adopted us a couple of years ago is being horrible to it.

Slasher

#96 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Territorial claim Cape.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Culling of elephants is a contentious subject; trying to balance preservation of the environment with preservation of a species which is subject to poaching is difficult . They do not interbreed and are traumatised by any loss of family. Also knocking down trees does help other animals ^:)^
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Saw a cutesy young woman jump out of a little jeep the other week. Bumper sticker read "I ♥ Animals....they're delicious!". She then proceeded to get her shotgun out of the back.

There's a cheetah on the loose in the Canadian Rockies right now...mind how you go!

p.s. killer whales kill baby seals for sport and play with the carcasses. There's ample video of it, including on David Attenborough's 'Life On Earth' series.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by 500N » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:23 pm

The other sticker is "I love Animals, ........ right next to my 3 Vegetables on my plate !"

Good luck to the Cheetah, lovely graceful animals.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by BenThere » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:52 pm

They're fast.