It was 1983

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

It was 1983

#1 Post by Fliegenmong » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:33 am

...and apparently the greatest ever selling Australian single to this day.....I found that as an Australian, I still laugh out loud at this....perhaps because I haven't heard it in so many years, perhaps because I'm Australian
.Slasher will get it...especially the part about the City of Wangaratta I suspect... :)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: It was 1983

#2 Post by Magnus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:38 am

I have that single somewhere.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:02 am

Confused pom here - is this a 'single' ie music, or a TV series we are discussing? If music, can you post the track?

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Fliegenmong » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:16 am

I think 'single' was meant as a smaller circumference 'record', and not as large as an album, but they were played on 'record players' at various 'speeds', it is not a song, just a spoken piece with primary and secondary 'puns' throughout.

Slasher

#5 Post by Slasher » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 am

Yes Fliegs when I met Ap I flashed me Wangaratta but she decided she wanted Yorkeys Knob (who's a bit of a Dandy nong) so I saw Katherine and her pimp was Tom. So I asked "may I mount...Tom? Price?" I was Melton to see her. He said "Your a poorer punk ah?" Don't Yackendanda on to me that you aren't!"

So I took a Broome to him. :(

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by larsssnowpharter » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 pm

A quick turn and thread drifting to an aviation theme.....

There used to be a nice little aviation museum at Wangaratta. Sadly, I understand that the bastards on the town council sold off all the exhibits.

Ozzie place names can be a bit of a trial. True story:
During a gliding comp in pre GPS days yours truly had flown up to a place called, with a total lack of imagination,The Rock. It was a big rock surrounded by lots of other slightly smaller rocks. TP pic duly taken one buggered off south, ran out of lift and landed at a place called Burrumbuttock Hill or similar. Lift obtained to the nearest settlement (civilization was too strong a word) where I found a phone in a pub and called my retrieve crew.

"Where are you," they asked.
"Burrumbuttock"
"What? You've burned your ass?

Some moments of confusion before I explained I was in the pub.

"Where do we find it?"

"Middle house".

Crew, led by the lovely Suzie, turned up a few hours later to be greeted by howls of, "Shiela in the bar!" from the friendly local sheep shearers.

Slasher

#7 Post by Slasher » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:53 am

I dunno where this "Sheila" stuff comes from. Probly the Poms.

In Oz it's correctly spelt "sheelah". Just ask any sheelah named Sheila and she'll say it's written as "sheelah" but pronounced as Shiela. Other sheelahs will say the same thing whether they're Sheilas or not.

If you don't believe me look up Rodney Rude and Kevin Bloody Wilson. Bazza McKenzie is another reference source worth a look at too.

Done. [-(

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Magnus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:34 am

After 2 happy years living in Coonabarabran and working in the Warrumbungle mountains, Oz place names hold no fear for us.......

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:05 pm

'Happy' & 'Coonabarabran' don't belong in the same sentance!

(I'm happy, but have never been to Coonabarabran...likely never will...why would I?)